OS for Home use NAS

I'm building a storage + media server for home use with max 3 users/connections.

1 for backup storage

2 plex apps (only local)

i don't plan runing any vms or many dockers, maybe bitorrent for offsite backup, thats it. 

sadly my media is all over the board, got some backups of uhd bds and lots of backups of vhs (well not a backup, tape+sun). I want to run plex on it so i have the r5 2400g in my near final selection.

r5 2400g because,

-old ati fanboy

-am4 (i hope am4 will be around when 1151v2 is forgotten)

-possible ecc (atm the selected board (~60$) dosn't support ecc but maybe a later one 

no ecc (atm) -> price. I can buy one part each month, best case.

case is FANTEC SRC-2080X07 with a cheap 2x6GB/s sas hba

so now is my question, for which OS should i go?

unraid+plex, +did read will work - I can't afford a huge Parity drive so it is likely i have to upgrade it down the road (sounds totaly easy). - I can't change the raid beyond 2nd parity drive

freenas+plex. +didn't read much but i think there is a working jail, -got no ecc, -1tb~1GB ram isn't possible atm (money >.<).

openmediavault+plex sounds so far most likley to be what i need

btw. i read plex supports hw transcoding only on intel or amd+windows, is it correct?

i think bittorrent is possible for all 3, any better experience ?

----

Please don't point me to a pre build nas, some guys got guns, toy railroads or old coins. I will have a Server next to me it's a hobby and i like it but now i'm at a point if i don't ask it will only hurt me later

Correct me if i'm wrong, learning is a lifelong mission

with only 3 users a 2400g is way overkill. try the cheapest am4 cpu Athlon 200ge.

for os FreeNas is the most popular.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

ok thought a 2400g will get problems if i stream 4k too my samsung smart tv plex app, atm there are only 5 files which i could save in a compatible format but 30$ would it be worth if i don't have too care about a codec.

"for os FreeNas is the most popular." sounds like "windows is the most popular OS" but is it the best for case X or for my case?

sorry for beeing sarcastic to a srs reply, but most popular kinda triggered

freenas ok, ~16gb ram (start) 2tb+4tb+8tb (start) at which point in time should i upgrade the ram.

at which point could it be noticable "laggy" if >1TB ~1GB RAM, e.g. if my next hdd is a 8tb drive and i don't pull the old ones, what would be the resultes?

freenas without ecc works but it is a data risk, wouldn't it be protected by raid 1 (sry didn't realy understand zfs so far)?

I'd recommend OpenMediaVault. It's considerably less demanding in terms of hardware requirements and the OS is very easy to expand since it's based on Debian which is the most popular flavour of Linux so software that works out of the box is readily available.

If you do end up using OpenMediaVault, be sure to check out OMV extras which also offers a plugin specifically for OMV installations on USB flash drives which is something that you'll probably want if you don't happen to have a spare SSD to dedicate to the system.

Meanwhile in 2024: Ivy Bridge-E has finally retired from gaming (but is still not dead).

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X; 64GB DDR5-6000; Radeon RX 6800XT Reference / Server: Intel Xeon 1680V2; 64GB DDR3-1600 ECC / Laptop:  Dell Precision 5540; Intel Core i7-9850H; NVIDIA Quadro T1000 4GB; 32GB DDR4

• 1 year later...

My Conclusion after ~ 1 Year

OMV was nice but with a limited UI. Did it's job but was sometimes a hassel to deal with.

After ~8 Month i switched to FreeNAS and am still happy with it. I do miss linux but the better and easier UI is worth it.

The default seperation between OS and jails/VMs is something i realy appreciate. Only the OS with configs runs on the Bootdrive, everything else has to be in a jail/VM

In case you need to restore your boot media, just install a fresh copy and load your config file.

You could do it in OMV with docker yes, but you don't have to. Sometimes ppl need to be forced or they won't do it.

So i would recommend FreeNAS, but you need to check if the hw you are using is supported (e.g. NIC, HBA).