How bad is the 500w evga 80+ W1 psu?

BlockedTheShot

While I did switch the psu in my pc from a 500w evga psu to masterwatt 650 80+ bronze to make room for a rtx 2070, (my last psu ran fine for 4 years or so), just how bad was my old psu.

Damn....

3 minutes ago, BlockedTheShot said:

While I did switch the psu in my pc from a 500w evga psu to masterwatt 650 80+ bronze to make room for a rtx 2070, (my last psu ran fine for 4 years or so), just how bad was my old psu.

I guess I don't understand the question. EVGA is a reputable brand so it should be fine...........

It's pretty crap. Quality isn't great on those EVGA units. 

Just now, doomsriker said:

I guess I don't understand the question. EVGA is a reputable brand so it should be fine...........

EVGA themselves don't make the PSUs, they get other companies to make it for them. The quality of their 80+ White units are bad, and their B1 PSUs aren't much better either. The BQ is decent but I wouldn't recommend it.

I've had great usage with my evga 600 bronze.  I also built a higher end pc for a friend with a evga 1000 gold and no problems there either.  Most of the time I steer ppl away from power supply's that aren't at least bronze rated.

1 minute ago, JammyCreedog said:

I've had great usage with my evga 600 bronze.  I also built a higher end pc for a friend with a evga 1000 gold and no problems there either.  Most of the time I steer ppl away from power supply's that aren't at least bronze rated.

It's not about the brand, it's about the product. EVGA has some decent PSUs. They also have a whole bunch of crap, including the 80+ Gold rated G1 NEX.

:)

Just now, 1kv said:

EVGA themselves don't make the PSUs, they get other companies to make it for them. The quality of their 80+ White units are bad, and their B1 PSUs aren't much better either. The BQ is decent but I wouldn't recommend it.

Oh gotcha. I guess my philosophy with PSUs is kinda just "if its a recognizable brand and probably won't short the system than its fine". I am looking at you season 3 scrapyard wars Luke.

2 minutes ago, doomsriker said:

Oh gotcha. I guess my philosophy with PSUs is kinda just "if its a recognizable brand and probably won't short the system than its fine". I am looking at you season 3 scrapyard wars Luke

That's a great way to buy crappy PSUs.

Noone in LMG really knows much about PSUs.

A few days ago Demitri over at HardwareCanucks did a video and he went to BeQuiet and went into their psu testing room, good info there. 

8 minutes ago, seon123 said:

That's a great way to buy crappy PSUs.

Noone in LMG really knows much about PSUs.

Do I get a pass than if I bought my PSU (750W modular EVGA) along with a full system (minus windows + boot drive) back in 2016 with a thermaltake case, i7 4770, dell oem board, 12gb Ram, and R9 280 for 250$ on craigslist?

3 minutes ago, JammyCreedog said:

A few days ago Demitri over at HardwareCanucks did a video and he went to BeQuiet and went into their psu testing room, good info there.  

Saw it. The video contains little useful information, and nothing that actually helps anyone choose a good PSU. About what you expect from a Youtuber, and especially HardwareCanucks.

1 minute ago, doomsriker said:

Do I get a pass than if I bought my PSU (750W modular EVGA) along with a full system (minus windows + boot drive) back in 2015 with a thermaltake case, i7 4770, dell oem board, 12gb Ram, and R9 280 for 250$ on craigslist?

For that price, it should be fine. Though EVGA has a bunch of different modular 750W PSUs, ranging from crap to mediocre, good and excellent.

3 minutes ago, seon123 said:

For that price, it should be fine. Though EVGA has a bunch of different modular 750W PSUs, ranging from crap to mediocre, good and excellent.

It looks to be an NEX750B.

Just now, doomsriker said:

It looks to be an NEX750B.

That's most definitely crap. But I mean, a $250 system.

Just now, seon123 said:

That's most definitely crap. But I mean, a $250 system.

Meh. I think ill wait until a major upgrade to replace it. It has been working fine with my GTX 1070 the last year or so. 

14 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Saw it. The video contains little useful information, and nothing that actually helps anyone choose a good PSU. About what you expect from a Youtuber, and especially HardwareCanucks.

I mainly reacted to the part where they pushed a psu well past its rated wattage and it didn't burst into flames.

1 minute ago, JammyCreedog said:

I mainly reacted to the part where they pushed a psu well past its rated wattage and it didn't burst into flames.

Most PSU that aren't total crap (and many that are), will shut down safely. Being able to provide more power than the max continuous rating is also expected. On Aris' reviews (including on Cybenetics) you can also find the results for 110% output power.

Do keep in mind that the wattage rating is for the output, not the input.