Erase help

MaxMine10

I want to erase my hdd, how tho?

I don't need a secure erase just a quick erase so the PC recognizes the HDD and I can install Windows on it and use it. Can I do it from windows directly? I currently have win 10 installed

you can do that while installing windows im pretty sure. just go into advanced and delete all the partitions, make a new one that spanns the entire disk and press OK and it should make all the small ones it needs too

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

you can do that while installing windows im pretty sure. just go into advanced and delete all the partitions, make a new one that spanns the entire disk and press OK and it should make all the small ones it needs too

hahaha 2 sec late

Can also do so from Disk Management.

Right click on Computer>Manage>Disk Management, find the Disk, Format

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZKsJvn

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo (Red) 66.3 CFM CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory 
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive 
Video Card: Asus 3080 Turbo
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME Titanium 750 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  
Monitor: Asus MG278Q 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor 

15 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Ok, but I will be installing a new ssd and installing Windows to the SSD, will that also erase the HDD?

Just now, MaxMine10 said:

Ok, but I will be installing a new ssd and installing Windows to the SSD, will that also erase the HDD?

you can still erase the HDD if you just delete all the partitions on it during install

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Yes, as above, just insert the USB or disc, guessing USB though... go through install screens. When it asks where you want to install to, press advanced IIRC. Then delete the partitions on the HDD. Then select the SSD as the install location.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

If you install a new SSD in your computer and install windows on it, just unplug the HDD completely, install the SSD and install Windows without the HDD connected at all.

When you're done installing Windows on the SSD, simply go back in PC and connect the HDD back. When Windows boots up, it will detect the recently plugged hard drive and make it show up like a regular hard drive.

Windows will still boot from the SSD and the HDD will just show up as a second hard drive. You can copy what you want to keep from HDD to your SSD, then go in Disk Management and select your hard drive and delete partitions or format them to erase everything on it.

4 hours ago, mariushm said:

If you install a new SSD in your computer and install windows on it, just unplug the HDD completely, install the SSD and install Windows without the HDD connected at all.

When you're done installing Windows on the SSD, simply go back in PC and connect the HDD back. When Windows boots up, it will detect the recently plugged hard drive and make it show up like a regular hard drive.

Windows will still boot from the SSD and the HDD will just show up as a second hard drive. You can copy what you want to keep from HDD to your SSD, then go in Disk Management and select your hard drive and delete partitions or format them to erase everything on it.

Good advice thanks! It helps a lot to have only connected the drive where the OS will be installed, trust me! ? 

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

1 hour ago, seagate_surfer said:

Good advice thanks! It helps a lot to have only connected the drive where the OS will be installed, trust me! ? 

I just installed it with my hdd connected ?

anyway, thanks everyone!

? Ok no worries, as long as everything is working is ok!

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming