With HDR Enabled in Games on PC Blacks are Grey and colors are Washed out.

bedo1024

I bought a 4K HDR monitor a couple of months ago (The LG 27UK650-W) and connected it to my Windows 10 PC and Xbox One X. Turning on HDR on my Xbox in games such as Mass Effect Andromeda and Forza Horizon 4 which support HDR makes the colors look incredible. However, when connecting my PC (Alienware 17 R4 laptop with a GTX 1080) and turning on HDR in games such as Assassins Creed Origins and COD:Black Ops 4 which both support HDR, the blacks turn into a light grey and the colors look washed out. Is there some setting in windows or in the Nvidia control panel I have to change, the brightness on my monitor is set to 30.

Windows 10 has it's OWN HDR settings. It defaults to ON I believe. Check that. And see if switching it makes a difference.

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO

43 minutes ago, dj_ripcord said:

Windows 10 has it's OWN HDR settings. It defaults to ON I believe. Check that. And see if switching it makes a difference.

The default was OFF and switching it to on just made the whole desktop grey and washed out. There was no difference in games, they were still grey and washed out(Using the in game settings to turn on HDR is what made the colors grey and washed out in the first place, the same happens when using the windows HDR setting).

If i remembered correctly, HDR's affect on a game was a mixed bag on a game-by-game basis. Some things it looks great in, some things it looked significantly worse. Same goes for 4k blu-rays in my experience.

21 hours ago, lettuce head said:

If i remembered correctly, HDR's affect on a game was a mixed bag on a game-by-game basis. Some things it looks great in, some things it looked significantly worse. Same goes for 4k blu-rays in my experience.

No matter what HDR game I play on PC the same thing happens some other examples are Far Cry 5 and Monster Hunter:World.

Make sure ur running either RGB full or YCBCR 4,4,4

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

On 1/9/2019 at 12:19 PM, SolarNova said:

Make sure ur running either RGB full or YCBCR 4,4,4

When changing both of those there is no difference in HDR content.