Do I need an active adapter?

We disassembled an old computer here at home and I asked to have the monitor, I got it, but my laptop only accepts HDMI input and the monitor is VGA only, the problem is that I don't know if I should get an active or passive adapter for my laptop.

Info:

Laptop IO:

2 xUSB 2.0 (occupied by headphones and mouse)

1x HDMI

Both the laptop's and the monitor's are 1366 x 768 60Hz

Hi, I am from Brazil and I pretend on building a Ryzen 2200G build. (to convert to Brazil's currency look up <your currcency> to BRL)

Since HDMI is digital and VGA is analog you will need an active converter.

Just get an adapter at your preferred store, it shouldn't cost more than 20 USD or so.

(I usually recommend checking the reviews on the product if possible though, after reading three or so you get an idea if the product just works or just doesn't work)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

34 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Since HDMI is digital and VGA is analog you will need an active converter.

Just get an adapter at your preferred store, it shouldn't cost more than 20 USD or so.

(I usually recommend checking the reviews on the product if possible though, after reading three or so you get an idea if the product just works or just doesn't work)

I've been looking for those and I found a Dell one for R$94 it's a trusted brand and it's exactly what I need, thanks for the help.

Edited by GutoGordo
Found the right adapter

Hi, I am from Brazil and I pretend on building a Ryzen 2200G build. (to convert to Brazil's currency look up <your currcency> to BRL)

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2019 at 4:48 PM, GutoGordo said:

We disassembled an old computer here at home and I asked to have the monitor, I got it, but my laptop only accepts HDMI input and the monitor is VGA only, the problem is that I don't know if I should get an active or passive adapter for my laptop.

Info:

Laptop IO:

2 xUSB 2.0 (occupied by headphones and mouse)

1x HDMI

Both the laptop's and the monitor's are 1366 x 768 60Hz

I've actually solved it, i just needed a normal converter, turns out an active adapter probably wouldn't work.