Preaplied thermal paste help

So I just got a Corsair H100x and I pulled it out of the plastic bag and the cover that was on the bottom fell of and stayed in the plastic bag. I took it out and looked at the cooler and the paste touched my shirt and smeared some paste over my shirt, there is now a spot on the cooler with no paste, can I still use it? I don't have thermal paste around.

IMG_20190108_144632.jpg

it will probably work but id clean it off and apply new stuff tbh

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

You'll be fine. Monitor your temps after hooking things up just to be sure.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

Yeah, it will probably work because the mounting pressure will spread the paste that is still there out a bit in all directions.

But if it was me I would just clean it off, get new paste, and reapply. Just to be safe.

A little too much thermal paste is better than too little so I always err on that side of things.

This is so easily done! Same happens to me with the first cooler I bought.

I just cleaned it off and applied my own paste and it works fine.

I will redo the paste one day but I need a new tube now as mine is very old (2011 I think)

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

49 minutes ago, MaxMine10 said:

I don't have thermal paste around.

Everyone recommending he apply new paste didn't read the entire post.

That being said.  If you are going to be building or working on a computer you should have some on hand. Thermal paste, even the good stuff, is fairly cheap.

I agree with what others have said apply the block and check your temperatures.  If the temps are good you are, too.  If it's good or not you should buy a tube of whatever your favorite paste is.

Theres enough on their, dont worry.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |