BFGD can’t be run?

Rdpruitt

So the ports for the HP BFGD were realeased today. It has 3 hdmi 2.0 ports and 1 DisplayPort 1.4. Is ther ANY possible way to run the monitor (tv?) at 4K/10-bit(hdr)/120hz/4:4:4? I don’t want to constantly turn subsambling on an off to change between gaming at 120 and desktop at 98hz. 

Can I use 2 HDMIs together to double the bandwidth?

BTW I have a 2080 ti. 

I think it is better to deal with turning up and down chroma subsampling than dealing with tearing from dual cable setup, so I don't think they will support 2 hdmi setup.

Does HDR look fine at 4:2:2? 

And on the Acer and Asus 27 inch g sync hdr monitors, was there a way to automatically start using 4:2:2 120hz when a game is started, and switch back to 4:4:4 at 98hz when I’m at the desktop?

4 hours ago, Rdpruitt said:

And on the Acer and Asus 27 inch g sync hdr monitors, was there a way to automatically start using 4:2:2 120hz when a game is started, and switch back to 4:4:4 at 98hz when I’m at the desktop?

Wikipedia seems to suggest that you should be able to run it just fine at the usual RGB color format as a result of Display Stream Compression in Display Port 1.4 . This does mean you'll need to buy a specific Display Port cable which specifically supports Display Port 1.4 if you don't already own one and one doesn't come in the box.

Link

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

32 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Wikipedia seems to suggest that you should be able to run it just fine at the usual RGB color format as a result of Display Stream Compression in Display Port 1.4 . This does mean you'll need to buy a specific Display Port cable which specifically supports Display Port 1.4 if you don't already own one and one doesn't come in the box

wait, so with DisplayPort 1.4, I can to 4k/120hz/10-bit(HDR)/4:4:4?

because in this calculator it says it can only get 98hz? or does the calculator not include the DSC?

On the wiki page it says "On displays which do not support DSC, the maximum limits are unchanged from DisplayPort 1.3". Will the BFGDs support DSC?

6 hours ago, Rdpruitt said:

Human eyes can not see the difference between 444 and 422 and in most cases even 420, the only exception is when looking at text over a colour.

1 hour ago, Rdpruitt said:

Will the BFGDs support DSC?

They should support it, if the tech is there why not use it, especially when some will cost over $5K, unless the GPU doesn't support it.

with the calculator that I shared about, which of the 3 compressions does DisplayPort 1.4 use? none of them? because if it used any of them, then DisplayPort 1.4 should be able to do 4k/144hz/10-bit/4:4:4 on the Asus pg27ug right?

oh wait, its the screen that's limiting it. nevermind

4 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Wikipedia seems to suggest that you should be able to run it just fine at the usual RGB color format as a result of Display Stream Compression in Display Port 1.4 . This does mean you'll need to buy a specific Display Port cable which specifically supports Display Port 1.4 if you don't already own one and one doesn't come in the box.

Link

Only if the devices support DSC, which the current G-Sync module doesn't.

12 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Only if the devices support DSC, which the current G-Sync module doesn't.

Ouch. Does HP or Nvidia provide instructions for how people are supposed to power the display with the full color space and full resolution and refresh rate?

Edit: But doesn't HP's new BFGD use Nvidia's new G-Sync Gen 3 module? If so it might possibly support it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, Rdpruitt said:

does freesync support DSC?

That would probably be dependant on the exact monitor but if I had to make a guess, I'd say a fair amount probably wouldn't. I'm not aware of any 4K 120Hz HDR display with FreeSync that exists. I've only seen those kind of monitors with G-Sync.

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Ouch. Does HP or Nvidia provide instructions for how people are supposed to power the display with the full color space and full resolution and refresh rate?

Edit: But doesn't HP's new BFGD use Nvidia's new G-Sync Gen 3 module? If so it might possibly support it.

If it uses the same G-Sync module as the PG27UQ then it doesn't support it. Maybe they've made some changes though, you never know.

Ok thanks for all the info.

AAAAHHAHAHAAHA!! This is infuriating. I found the calculator that I shared above and saw that display port can’t do 4K/120hz/10-bit/4:4:4. Then  I found out that using 2 display ports to double the bandwidth was a thing, and then found out the g sync module doesn’t support that. Then found out about DSC, and then found out g-sync module doesn’t support that either.

So I was planning on getting the BFGD to go with my new 2080 ti, but maybe not now. 

Asus just announced at CES a 43” 4K 120hz hdr display with freesync 2. And now that Nvidia cards (partially) support freesync, I might get that when it releases in the spring. I will of course wait and see how well Nvidia cards work with that screen in reviews.

Edit: hopefully it supports DSC