Hello, techical question regarding an AMD-FX 8350 and MSI motherboard.

Lasky

Hello LTT users!

I have a question about the fact that my new Windows 10 Pro (x64) install is not detecting all 8 cores on my AMD FX-8350.  At the moment, it is only showing it as a quad core 8 thread CPU.

I have the following specs:

• AMD FX-8350 x8 @4GHz
  • MSI 890FXA-GD65 motherboard
  • 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM
  • 250GB Samsung 840 Series SSD

In Task Manager, my CPU shows as a 4 core 8 thread chip, when it is an 8 core 8 thread chip.  Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

I have reset the bios to default settings, and unchecked the CPU option in MSConfig.  I have also tried enabling manual CPU control and selected all 8 cores as enabled.

what? it shows all the treads? but not the cores? maybe there's something like a game mode enabled like ryzen has?

install the chipset driver.

check the thread graph as long as theres some activity in all threads, i think  you should just ignore it.

Benchmark and compare your system with similar cpu.

If youre getting 30-40% off benchmark score, then you should worry.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

I updated my post above.

Not on this board, there is no "gaming mode" enabled.

I did notice that there are no motherboard drivers specifically for the motherboard running on Windows 10 though.

CPU-Z shows it is an 8 core 8 thread CPU on the other hand.

Yes, only newer motherboard (3-5 years old) support windows 10.

As long as it has windows 7 or 8 64bit support, most of the time it will run on win 10.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Windows 10 recognizes the FX 8350 as a 4 core because technically it is a 4 Core 8 Thread chip, and you won't be losing any performance.

just ignore it

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

11 minutes ago, Lasky said:

Hello LTT users!

I have a question about the fact that my new Windows 10 Pro (x64) install is not detecting all 8 cores on my AMD FX-8350.  At the moment, it is only showing it as a quad core 8 thread CPU.

I have the following specs:

• AMD FX-8350 x8 @4GHz
  • MSI 890FXA-GD65 motherboard
  • 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM
  • 250GB Samsung 840 Series SSD

In Task Manager, my CPU shows as a 4 core 8 thread chip, when it is an 8 core 8 thread chip.  Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

I have reset the bios to default settings, and unchecked the CPU option in MSConfig.  I have also tried enabling manual CPU control and selected all 8 cores as enabled.

It registers as 4 cores 8 threads since Windows 7 & 8.

It is perfectly normal, nothing to worry about.

Unless you're getting sub-par performance then everything is fine.

I'm an FX user so you can take my word for it ;)

Just tag @ChatDaw so I can answer as fast as possible.

All I am saying is that it does not seem right, know what I mean?

Looks like I may have to get a newer motherboard... :(

On the flip side, the motherboard actually has options for cores 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and 8.  So the board appears to be detecting all 8 cores.  Why isn't Windows?

Can anyone reccomend a good similar board that I could use that supports my CPU, one that does not cost a small fortune?

1 minute ago, Lasky said:

On the flip side, the motherboard actually has options for cores 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and 8.  So the board appears to be detecting all 8 cores.  Why isn't Windows?

we just explained to you.. there's nothing wrong with your PC, this is pretty normal 

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

3 minutes ago, Lasky said:

Can anyone reccomend a good similar board that I could use that supports my CPU, one that does not cost a small fortune?

Which part of "everything is okay" don't you understand?

It still shows as 4 cores 8 threads even on a top of the line ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 motherboard or even a Crosshair V Formula.
Upgrading won't change anything.

All 8 cores are detected, just Windows being dumb and telling you your CPU is 4 cores 8 threads because the way the architecture is shares resources among all cores by 4 modules of 2 cores each.

I have 2 MSI 970A-G46 AM3+ motherboards aswell and same thing there. It's just the way things are.

Just tag @ChatDaw so I can answer as fast as possible.

Windows is "dumb" indeed.  I won't argue with that because I agree.

I did switch the view in Task Manager to "Logical Processors" and it showed 8 with activity appearing on all 8.

The strange thing is that when I had a GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3 board installed, it was actually showing all 8 cores as cores rather than threads.  I have changed my board as the stated board only has SATA II connectors which is a limiting factor on my SATA III drives, and actually slows my system down and while it may not seem like it, I notice the difference.  I can now boot and start games and whatnot at double the speed of the previous board I had because the new board is SATA III 6Gbps.