Networking job title?

Exilender

I'm not sure of the exact job title I want to go for and Google really isn't helping me. I would ask someone in the industry, but I don't know anyone.

I want to work in a data center and physically maintain the servers there, is that called a Network Engineer or a Network Administrator or a Network Architect?

Also, if you work a similar job, I would like to hear about it

Job titles tend to vary from place to place, a garbage disposal engineer can also be called a binman.

If you want experience, just phone up and ask if you can come in and have a look.

29 minutes ago, Exilender said:

physically maintain the servers there

You don't. You buy server-level hardware, rack mount it, and don't touch it (physically) until it dies, or hits it's EOL.

You maintain it via RDP, console, VM whathaveyou.

A network architect design wide area networks, SANs, multi-building communications, etc.

A network engineer sets up servers and maintains the network to keep them talking with the PCs.

A network admin runs and maintains the software in use on the servers.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

38 minutes ago, Exilender said:

I want to work in a data center and physically maintain the servers there, is that called a Network Engineer or a Network Administrator or a Network Architect?

If you primarily want to work on servers, not networking equipment, then your looking for Systems Administrator and Systems Engineer. If you want to focus more on the networking equipment side then your looking for Network Administrator, Network Technician and Network Architect.

12 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

A network architect design wide area networks, SANs, multi-building communications, etc.

A network engineer sets up servers and maintains the network to keep them talking with the PCs.

A network admin runs and maintains the software in use on the servers.

For an ISP those meaning are little different.

architect is designing expansion, peering, transport. Mainly dealing with core and edge

engineer is designing distribution and access layer, maintenance on equipment

admin is support for the access layer and some distribution work, usually first in line to solve a customer's issue.

Even those are not accurate everywhere. IT titles tend to not fall under strict specifications. 

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

IT titles tend to not fall under strict specifications.

Indeed!

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

15 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

You don't. You buy server-level hardware, rack mount it, and don't touch it (physically) until it dies, or hits it's EOL.

You maintain it via RDP, console, VM whathaveyou.

In big data centers you have people in the building maintaining the servers. Here they are called drifttekniker and the translation seems to be operating technicians. Pretty much what I was but at a consultant basis. So when your local dudes did not know what to do they called me :)

It would probably be more something like system administrator or system engineer.

Atleast around here all the titles you mentioned is purely network.

Network engineer could be anything from like 3rd level service desk job to the physical side or the same tasks like consulting. Network Administrator similar to Network Engineer but more skilled and experienced.

Network Architect would typically be someone capable or designing the network side of a new data center. I don't think it's usually a standalone titel around here. I think more often it would be more like a network engineer / administrator with a Cisco CCDA or CCDP certification. But I guess if you're a pure network architect you would be in a major consulting company doing lots of data center solutions. And you would probably be more of a project manager instead of hands-on.