G-sync in Laptops + Laptop "M" series compatibility

Nesflaten

Hello fellow Linus Tech Tips-ers

So, it hit me, will G-sync be able to run on a laptop screen? Or will the g-sync module be to large an heavy for that to happen?

And will G-sync be able to run FROM a laptop-graphics card to another screen via HDMI?

G-Sync isn't confirmed to be installed on Notebooks ( yet )

There's no questioning whether or not it will run. 

"When in doubt, don't take your wallet out." - Dad

† TTCF Member †

Hello fellow Linus Tech Tips-ers

So, it hit me, will G-sync be able to run on a laptop screen? Or will the g-sync module be to large an heavy for that to happen?

And will G-sync be able to run FROM a laptop-graphics card to another screen via HDMI?

A lot of gaming oriented laptops with a G-Sync module on the screen should increase gaming portability. It'll be far from becoming very popular as playing on a real beastly desktop however it shouldn't be to far from now. I think laptops/netbooks are seriously a key market place for implementing G-Sync. By the second generation of G-Sync maybe be available I'm guess smaller form factor PCBs with more efficient designs, refresh rates and control.

For the display output it kinda depends really, if playing using a display port could be possible if not even thunderbolt 1.2 i'd make gaming to a another monitor in a surround/eyefinity incredible.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

A lot of gaming oriented laptops with a G-Sync module on the screen should increase gaming portability. It'll be far from becoming very popular as playing on a real beastly desktop however it shouldn't be to far from now. I think laptops/netbooks are seriously a key market place for implementing G-Sync. By the second generation of G-Sync maybe be available I'm guess smaller form factor PCBs with more efficient designs, refresh rates and control.

For the display output it kinda depends really, if playing using a display port could be possible if not even thunderbolt 1.2 i'd make gaming to a another monitor in a surround/eyefinity incredible.

thanks for this good answer, got me thinking on another thing. 

as you said, laptops is the key place to put G-sync. As a stationary gamer probably has a strong GPU to run most games, but a low end graphics card (laptop) might need the "frame rate smoothing" from G-sync. then again, G-sync on a laptop will cost more than without, so maybe money is better spent on a better GPU, rather than G-sync screen? we'll have to see how it goes, Can't wait to get hold of a G-sync screen either way.