Is it worth the money?

XR6

Should I buy it?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Should I buy it?

• Yes
    • No

Hi all,

Thinking of buying a cheap and cheerful old Mercedes as a project car soon.

I've found a 1977 280 that's definitely seen better days.

Current price is £1095 but I feel like that's too much considering how much rust and crap is on the car.

Here's a photo from the listing:

Spoiler

44273006_Screenshot(12).thumb.png.4068f7847600e92335b8410d69cfbeb1.png

I'm thinking of talking the guy down to about £600-700

What would you pay?

(i know LTT forums are more tech-oriented but I've had no luck with any motoring forums so I'm turning to off topic for some help)

(if any mods see this, please don't lock this thread. I know this would've been better as a status update but hardly anyone ever responds to a status update so it's pointless for me to post one)

I think it's too much, as much as mercs were over engineered in those days, with that amount of rust you have to assume the subframe is in a similar condition, which equals more work for you.

Yeah, 600 notes is a fair price, but I'd check on availability of oversized pistons etc first if the block needs an overhaul.

All that said, I can see why you are interested ;) 

8 minutes ago, Ralphred said:

I think it's too much, as much as mercs were over engineered in those days, with that amount of rust you have to assume the subframe is in a similar condition, which equals more work for you.

Yeah, 600 notes is a fair price, but I'd check on availability of oversized pistons etc first if the block needs an overhaul.

All that said, I can see why you are interested ;) 

Yeah, I'm a bit worried about if the thing will actually run. It was imported here in '96 (it's LHD, probably from Europe) and hasn't had tax since '99. It's never had a safety inspection either which makes me think it's just been sitting for nearly 20 years.

I know a guy in South Africa who has a warehouse of these old merc parts. The problem is that I have no idea how I'd get the parts over here since I've found nobody else in the UK who can actually get those sorts of parts.

14 minutes ago, 1kv said:

I know a guy in South Africa who has a warehouse of these old merc parts

Why'd you have to say that, now I want to move to SA and help you with the merc :P 

On a more serious note, yeah, it's not like the old days when you could just pop to the local breakers with a tool kit and just get what you needed.

Talk to your friend see how viable it is to have him ship you parts.

4 minutes ago, Ralphred said:

Why'd you have to say that, now I want to move to SA and help you with the merc :P 

That'd be pretty cool, I won't lie :P 

4 minutes ago, Ralphred said:

On a more serious note, yeah, it's not like the old days when you could just pop to the local breakers with a tool kit and just get what you needed.

Talk to your friend see how viable it is to have him ship you parts.

Yeah, it might be possible to find something in the breakers since I live near rural areas where all sorts of cars were around. Moskvich 412s, Ford Cortinas, you name it.

I have tried to talk to him about shipping but he said that he can't ship outside of SA right now. Even then, I probably couldn't afford shipping.

Considering how much work this needs doing, just walk away and find another one in better shape. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Just now, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Considering how much work this needs doing, just walk away and find another one in better shape. 

That's true, and I 100% agree with you. In any other situation I'd just walk away and save my money. 

I don't particularly mind spending the extra time on trying to repair this since I'm both: A. a high school student with a limited budget and B. searching for a cheap car to work on as a hobby. 

2 minutes ago, 1kv said:

a high school student with a limited budget

What sort of budget are we talking about? 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

1 minute ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

What sort of budget are we talking about? 

About £1000-1500

seems a bit to rusty to me, if the frame is rotted out as bad as that rear quarter panel then id definatly not buy it. that car looks like just a pile of work

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, 1kv said:

About £1000-1500

For the car or the restoration? 

زندگی از چراغ

Just now, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

For the car or the restoration? 

The car.

Just now, 1kv said:

The car.

Nah don't go for it, you'd probably spend that amount on just repairing the bodywork alone and then there's also the mechanicals. 

زندگی از چراغ

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

seems a bit to rusty to me, if the frame is rotted out as bad as that rear quarter panel then id definatly not buy it. that car looks like just a pile of work

Yeah definitely, if the frame's rusted then I'm straight out of there. I don't mind some surface rust but I'd rather not restore the frame.

Just now, 1kv said:

Yeah definitely, if the frame's rusted then I'm straight out of there. I don't mind some surface rust but I'd rather not restore the frame.

it looks in generally poor condition so i think you could find something nicer in your £1500 budget that dosnt potentially need a frame, new panels, engine work and if its been sitting with a bit of fuel in that tank it might need a new one of those too. seems like a lot of work 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, 1kv said:

It looks like a bit more than surface rust, most of the rear quarter panel is shot to bits.  

زندگی از چراغ

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

it looks in generally poor condition so i think you could find something nicer in your £1500 budget that dosnt potentially need a frame, new panels, engine work and if its been sitting with a bit of fuel in that tank it might need a new one of those too. seems like a lot of work 

There's nothing else in my £1500 budget really.

The next cheapest one is £3600.

1 hour ago, 1kv said:

Hi all,

Thinking of buying a cheap and cheerful old Mercedes as a project car soon.

I've found a 1977 280 that's definitely seen better days.

Current price is £1095 but I feel like that's too much considering how much rust and crap is on the car.

Here's a photo from the listing:

Hide contents

44273006_Screenshot(12).thumb.png.4068f7847600e92335b8410d69cfbeb1.png

I'm thinking of talking the guy down to about £600-700

What would you pay?

(i know LTT forums are more tech-oriented but I've had no luck with any motoring forums so I'm turning to off topic for some help)

(if any mods see this, please don't lock this thread. I know this would've been better as a status update but hardly anyone ever responds to a status update so it's pointless for me to post one)

The guy wants a grand for that??

Even though i don't know cars that's being optimistic, i'd say not even £500 due to the rust and the damage on the car; also what's it's mileage?

Just now, 1kv said:

well you can take a look at it but i dont think id buy it at least. the rear quarter seems gone, needs a new set of tires, battery, fuel tank might need some love but if the rest is in good condition and you feel fine doing the work then its not the worst i guess. really depends on how good the frame, engine and the rest of the body is

Builds:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, 1kv said:

Can I just ask, is this going to be your first car? 

زندگی از چراغ

Just now, Tcrumpen said:

The guy wants a grand for that??

Even though i don't know cars that's being optimistic, i'd say not even £500 due to the rust and the damage on the car; also what's it's mileage?

I have no clue about the mileage, the seller hasn't done a close up of the gauges or even said anything relating to mileage.

It hasn't been taxed since 1999 and has not had a safety inspection/MOT in it's life. My guess is that it's just been sat in a field for nearly 20 years doing nothing.

2 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Can I just ask, is this going to be your first car? 

It may be if I don't get my mum's 2013 Fiesta, although it will most likely be a project that gives me something to do.

4 minutes ago, 1kv said:

I have no clue about the mileage, the seller hasn't done a close up of the gauges or even said anything relating to mileage.

It hasn't been taxed since 1999 and has not had a safety inspection/MOT in it's life. My guess is that it's just been sat in a field for nearly 20 years doing nothing.

Then i'd HIGHLY advise asking to look round it first before you start talking price. Now if you know cars thats great; but if not bring someone along who does know it, maybe you have a friend who's a mechanic?

And for that £1000 is the absolute MAX i'd go

6 minutes ago, 1kv said:

It may be if I don't get my mum's 2013 Fiesta, although it will most likely be a weekend/project car.

If you don't get your mum's Fiesta, don't spend £1000 on a car yet. I know a guy in my college who has just bought a 2005 Peugeot 206 that cost about £850 and only needs front discs/pads and he absolutely loves it. I know you are a fan of Mercedes-Benz but I think you need to lower your expectations in what you can get and what you can afford, remember you have the tax and insurance to pay for along with the up-keep of the vehicle. 

Edited by LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo

زندگی از چراغ

1 minute ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

If you don't get your mum's Fiesta, don't spend £1000 on a car yet. I know a guy in my college who has just bought a 2005 Peugeot 206 that cost about £850 and only needs front discs/pads and he absolutely loves it. I know you are a fan of Mercedes-Benz but I think you need to lower your expectations in what you can get and what you can afford, remember you have the tax and insurance to pay for along with the up-keep of the vehicle. 

Yeah, I don't plan to actually daily drive it. For £1000, I don't expect anything good. In fact I'm actually surprised I could find that. My main goal for that mercedes is not to actually have a 100% working daily that will do everything, it's mainly to have a car to practice working on. I thought it wouldn't be the worst car to pick since it's a car I like, it's in budget, and it's going to get destroyed one way or another, whether it be by some kid with a socket set or the rust.