Is it worth the money?

XR6

Should I buy it?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Should I buy it?

• Yes
    • No

id say it depends on what you wanna do, i personally think its too expensive.

if you wanna do this project for the work of getting it done than its good to have a car that needs much work but if you do it for the end result and wanna get there fast this is absolutely not the right car.

If this thing has sat in a field doing nothing for anything near the 20 years you think it might have then I would suggest walking away.

Unless the guy can give you proof of the thing running relatively smoothly and you can see there is definitely no structural integrity issues due to rust.

My guess is that the engine will be completely seized and the frame will be flakey. If that's the case then it's really not worth anywhere near the price (even if it's a practice car for tinkering).

8 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

id say it depends on what you wanna do, i personally think its too expensive.

if you wanna do this project for the work of getting it done than its good to have a car that needs much work but if you do it for the end result and wanna get there fast this is absolutely not the right car.

Yeah, it's way too expensive for the condition it's in.

I don't plan to pour any more money than I really have to into this car. If I can actually get it to work then it may be sufficient enough for a few years until it gives up, but other than that I have no plans of ever trying to use it as a daily.

I'm thinking of buying it for 3 reasons: 1. It's in my budget. 2. I love those old mercedes. 3. I want a cheap car to be able to take apart and take a look at. 

6 minutes ago, DezGalbie said:

If this thing has sat in a field doing nothing for anything near the 20 years you think it might have then I would suggest walking away.

Unless the guy can give you proof of the thing running relatively smoothly and you can see there is definitely no structural integrity issues due to rust.

My guess is that the engine will be completely seized and the frame will be flakey. If that's the case then it's really not worth anywhere near the price (even if it's a practice car for tinkering).

Exactly. I'll try and contact the seller and see if he can show it running. I don't want to spend money on a car that doesn't run when I'm already skeptical about if it will even be safe to take apart (what I mean by this is if the frame is rust then I don't want to risk unscrewing the wrong thing and then having part of the suspension crumble).

I've found one in a much better condition for £600. It's a 1985 240D and looks way better, so I'll probably buy that instead.