Offsite Unraid Backup?

I am trying to figure out a way to backup my unRaid NAS to an off site location. Just in case of a fire or anything crazy like that! How would I go about that?? I want it to dump files to the backup almost immediately so I have another copy elsewhere just in case.

Do you want something as a one-time cost (hardware) or are you willing to pay a few bucks (depending on how much data you have) every month to a cloud provider?

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

9 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

Do you want something as a one-time cost (hardware)

Link to something like that? I want another one-time cost off-site option. :D

-KuJoe

15 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

Do you want something as a one-time cost (hardware) or are you willing to pay a few bucks (depending on how much data you have) every month to a cloud provider?

any IT system is never a one time cost, especially if its connected to the internet you always need to invest in maintenance, obviously electricity and since we are talking about backups you need to set it up in a location where nobody will mess with it.

1 minute ago, Pixel5 said:

any IT system is never a one time cost, especially if its connected to the internet you always need to invest in maintenance, obviously electricity and since we are talking about backups you need to set it up in a location where nobody will mess with it.

Never say never. :)

-KuJoe

3 hours ago, KuJoe said:

literally just a hard drive, internal or external, doesn't matter. Buy one. Put your data on it, take it out, move it somewhere "offsite" done

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 minutes ago, Arika S said:

literally just a hard drive, internal or external, doesn't matter. Buy one. Put your data on it, take it out, move it somewhere "offsite" done

If it's not automated it's not going to happen for me. Also I don't like the idea of old data being a "backup", I guess it works for some data but the majority of the data I need to restore is less than a day old.

-KuJoe

7 hours ago, jj9987 said:

Im looking to put another server somewhere else. I mean everyone else seems to think im retarded and never thought of putting stuff on an external drive and putting it somewhere else. The problem is the person who would allow me to have this little server at their house lives about an hour away from me.

7 hours ago, KuJoe said:

7 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

Missed the automation part, obviously meant a simple external storage device.

27 minutes ago, jacob_samd said:

Im looking to put another server somewhere else. I mean everyone else seems to think im retarded and never thought of putting stuff on an external drive and putting it somewhere else. The problem is the person who would allow me to have this little server at their house lives about an hour away from me.

Why not just use S3 or similar, or if you really want a server, start up a cloud instance? Why bother with physical hardware?

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

8 hours ago, jacob_samd said:

Do you have any family you can ship a NAS to? A Synology NAS would be perfect for this, just configure remote access to it before you ship it (Synology QuickConnect) and then you can setup one of the many applications to backup to. If you want to get more advanced you can get another Synology NAS for your house to encrypt the backup before sending it so the data on the other NAS is protected in case that gets stolen. Additionally you can automatically backup directly to a number of cloud services from the NAS if you want a true cloud backup. Also the 1 bay units use less than 15W of power and are super quiet so the person won't notice it running 24x7.

-KuJoe

Look at Crashplan for Small Business. They offer remote backup and there is a docker for unraid. It isn't all that expensive either.

53 minutes ago, xl3b4n0nx said:

Look at Crashplan for Small Business. They offer remote backup and there is a docker for unraid. It isn't all that expensive either.

I tried them for a few months. Upload speed was erratic, the software was poorly designed and documented, there were frequent outages, updates came without warning and often failed, and their tech "help" was a joke. I finally got fed up when they lost my ID due to a failed update and the directions they gave to fix it made no sense.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

One time cost means you're inherently squatting on someone else's bandwidth and electricity. How much data are we talking? Just toss a server at a relatives house kinda deal is what this sounds like. Minimal bandwidth needed if your just mirroring updates to it. 

2 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

I tried them for a few months. Upload speed was erratic, the software was poorly designed and documented, there were frequent outages, updates came without warning and often failed, and their tech "help" was a joke. I finally got fed up when they lost my ID due to a failed update and the directions they gave to fix it made no sense.

And if you have a large amount of data, expect a guaranteed "outage" every 28 days where restores aren't possible. My friend once had to wait 9 days for the "deep maintenance" to end before he could restore a file and the tech helping him said this was normal.

-KuJoe