Overheating CPU

Hey all,

I recently had my 8700k delidded by silicon lottery. Once I did end up putting it in my system, couldn't clock it over 4.4GHz without throttling in Aida64. I figured it might be a bad delid, I sent it back to them for testing and binning. They just got back to me with sub 70 C temps while clocked at 4.9GHz in P95.

Their setup was (@1.36V) Maximus X Hero, Corsair H105 AIO, while I used a (@1.32V) Gigabyte HD3P rev1.0 and a Corsair H100i v2. 

I'm guessing there's something wrong with my cooler, right? Is there anything short of testing on a different cpu I can do to confirm this? And is there anything I should know before I RMA it?

Thanks!

Voltage?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, WolfRamAlpha12 said:

I'm guessing there's something wrong with my cooler, right? Is there anything short of testing on a different cpu I can do to confirm this?

so what is your setup? how hot does it get to throttle?

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Voltage?

the respective ones are in parenthesis next to the setups (1.36 for them 1.32 for me), sorry if that wasn't clear.

Just now, WolfRamAlpha12 said:

the respective ones are in parenthesis next to the setups (1.36 for them 1.32 for me), sorry if that wasn't clear.

I see. Does HWMonitor or something report accurate voltages while in your OS?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

so what is your setup? how hot does it get to throttle?

(@1.32V) Gigabyte HD3P rev1.0 and a Corsair H100i v2. The CPU went over 100C in about 15 seconds.

Have you removed the cooler, cleaned, repasted and remounted? This kind of sounds like an issue with your pump.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

I see. Does HWMonitor or something report accurate voltages while in your OS?

Yeah, it varied b/w 1.31-1.33v depending on the load

Just now, aisle9 said:

Have you removed the cooler, cleaned, repasted and remounted? This kind of sounds like an issue with your pump.

I did that about 4 times(pea size, line, spread with a spudger). I even got a IC graphite thermal pad to remove any chance of a poor application. Those only increase temps by 2-3C, not enough to explain the delta b/w my temps and their temps

3 minutes ago, WolfRamAlpha12 said:

The CPU went over 100C in about 15 seconds.

this is the problem!! as if no cooler installed

reseat it or may be faulty pump

Just now, WolfRamAlpha12 said:

I did that about 4 times(pea size, line, spread with a spudger). I even got a IC graphite thermal pad to remove any chance of a poor application. Those only increase temps by 2-3C, not enough to explain the delta b/w my temps and their temps

Are the cooler's fans connected? Sorry, I know it's a dumb question, but worth asking before you RMA something. Do you have a different cooler you can try?

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

Are the cooler's fans connected? Sorry, I know it's a dumb question, but worth asking before you RMA something. Do you have a different cooler you can try?

Yeah, I did replace the stock fans with Noctuas, but they show up in the Corsair software with RPMs reporting just fine. I did feel the mounting surface of the cooler, and it felt uneven with several grooves along one direction. It was nothing crazy, wasn't even visible. Is that something of concern?

9 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

this is the problem!! as if no cooler installed

reseat it or may be faulty pump

The corsair software shows the pump running at standard speeds, and I can game and use my PC just fine, its just that the temps reach 70C in most tasks.

kinda sounds like a bad cpu to me. I don't have mine delidded and can reach 5.1ghz hitting in the 80c but I am also water cooled.

My Rig: CPU: i9-9900k (5Ghz), Ram: 32gigs 3600mhz DDR4 CL16, MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus z390 Ultra, HDD: Samsung 970 Evo 500gig x2, Samsung 850 evo 250 gig, 2 TB Baracuda 7200 rpm,6tb WD Black 7200rpm, 4TB NAS, GPU: Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Master