CPU Throttles to 800MHz when plugged in.

RONOTHAN##

I bought this laptop off a guy on craigslist about a week ago, and I've been running to a really weird issue with it. I think I might have the only gaming laptop that games better on battery power compared to when it is plugged in. when I first got it, it worked perfectly fine, but I realized after I installed drivers, the CPU throttled itself to 800MHz. After about 2 days of banging my head against a wall and 6 installations of Windows, I realized that the CPU was only starting to throttle once I plugged it in. It did come with an after market power adapter, and I am getting a genuine one in a day or two. The model is an HP Pavilion Power with an i5 7300hq and a GTX 1050.
Thanks for the help in advance

Task manager reports my CPU frequency as 800 but I know it's wrong. What are the side effects of this low reported speed?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I know its not wrong on mine. I run cinebench and the moment I plug it in, the test drops to a snails pace

Use a monitoring tool like HWiNFO and you should be able to determine the reason for the throttling, I know my XPS throttles the 7700HQ to 800MHz with PL1 reported (power limit), maybe make sure that all the drivers are up to date and there's no thermal issues.

So far I've found that Efficiency plans don't change anything, and PROCHOT changes when I plug in and unplug my laptop, even though the temps stay in the 50s

reading some forums it looks like quite a few people have this issue, and new bios updates that are supposed to fix the issue havnt helped either, some cases show a more powerful than stock ac adapter helps, what's the amp rating on the adapter you have now compared to what the stock power should be?

open your start menu and type cmd, right click it and run as admin. copy and paste this in there and hit enter. this enables the ultimate performance power plan in windows.

powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61

download park control here. the 64 bit version is below main download button. https://bitsum.com/parkcontrol/ install it run as admin and make sure everything is disabled and set to 100% and select the ultimate performance power plan from the drop down list. do all of this while the laptop is plugged in

download winaerotweaker from here. https://winaero.com/request.php?1796

run that as admin when u install/after u install. once this is open there is a search box at the top of the program. type power in there. a power throttling option may appear depending on your windows version. double click it to navigate inside the option and place a check box in the option to disable power savings. YOU WILL NEED TO REBOOT AFTER THIS

lemme know the results.

changing the power plan in windows the normal way might not work because the advanced settings of the plan may be set to throttle shit somehow. parkcontrol/ultimate performance power plan thwarts this behaviour along with the power throttling setting in winaerotweaker. that setting is a registry tweak btw.

Maybe adapter not giving ample power, try force it with Throttlestop. https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

Use at your own risk though. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |