i5 7400 Upgrade

I need to upgrade my i5 7400 because of Forza Horizon 4 and other racing games.

My current spec is 16gb of DDR4 ram + 1060 3GB and during Forza the GPU runs at 50%.

Im a student so my budget is limited and i'd like to keep my B250M Bazooka motherboard, Forza advices 3,6ghz.

Any suggestions on what to buy? And would it be best to buy a new motherboard with a new chipset?

6 minutes ago, ThomasJacobsen said:

I need to upgrade my i5 7400 because of Forza Horizon 4 and other racing games.

My current spec is 16gb of DDR4 ram + 1060 3GB and during Forza the GPU runs at 50%.

Im a student so my budget is limited and i'd like to keep my B250M Bazooka motherboard, Forza advices 3,6ghz.

Any suggestions on what to buy? And would it be best to buy a new motherboard with a new chipset?

Gpu is at 50 percent, and you get low fps, stutter or what that you need to upgrade? My aunt uses the same system but with 1060 6 gb version  and it is fine for forza.Is there some problem or you just WANT to upgrade?

2 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Gpu is at 50 percent, and you get low fps, stutter or what that you need to upgrade? My aunt uses the same system and it is fine for forza.

GPU 50%, CPU at constant 100%, i have more than enough ram so the only thing that can cause stutters is the CPU, or will a new CPU just get bottled by the GPU?

Edit: i lock the fps at 60, at unlocked i get 100 ish FPS but with super unconsistent performance (100% GPU usage)

2 minutes ago, ThomasJacobsen said:

GPU 50%, CPU at constant 100%, i have more than enough ram so the only thing that can cause stutters is the CPU, or will a new CPU just get bottled by the GPU?

What resolution are you using? 1080p?

1 minute ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Low fps too? What resolution are you using? 1080p?

1080p, 60hz, Run forza on Medium with the adaptive thingy they have

your going to upgrade your CPU and then be bottlenecked by your GPU ram because you have the 3Gb version and most games will use more than that I never understood why they screwed people with this card and gave 1050ti guys 4Gb what I keep seeing as minimum Vram for 2018.

1 minute ago, ThomasJacobsen said:

1080p, 60hz, Run forza on Medium with the adaptive thingy they have

Well i'm not sure but it might be your gpu's fault, cause in forza with same cpu and 6 gb version 1060 I got no stutter at medium for sure. I played forza on that pc for like 3 hours, maybe more, no stutter. 

Well i'm not sure but it might be your gpu's fault, cause in forza with same cpu and 6 gb version 1060 I got no stutter at medium for sure. I played forza on that pc for like 3 hours, maybe more, no stutter. 

I guess its the trash 3gb of ram, might i be better off investing my coin in a 1070 even though it will get a little necked by the 7400 for sure?

21 minutes ago, ThomasJacobsen said:

16gb of DDR4 ram 

Single channel, dual channel? frequency and timings? people should get the memo already that memory matters nowadays.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

Single channel, dual channel? frequency and timings? people should get the memo already that memory matters nowadays.

2x Dual Channel 4x4gb, 2400 + 2660, so they all run at 2400. I dont think memory freq can cause this when forza only uses 8-9gb of it

7 minutes ago, ThomasJacobsen said:

I guess its the trash 3gb of ram, might i be better off investing my coin in a 1070 even though it will get a little necked by the 7400 for sure?

First, how hot are your cpu and gpu while gaming? Your cpu might not turbo if it's thermal throttling cause in this video there are no significant  stutters 

First, how hot are your cpu and gpu while gaming? Your cpu might not turbo if it's thermal throttling cause in this video there are no stutters 

Not hot, i have OC 200 + 250 and the fan is running at 80-90% when over x degrees with custom fan curve

Just checked, its never runs hotter than 60-70c

Just now, ThomasJacobsen said:

Not hot, i have OC 200 + 250 and the fan is running at 80-90% when over x degrees with custom fan curve

And cpu? Be specific, not hot is very abstract. 

Just now, noxdeouroboros said:

And cpu? 

Didnt check CPU tbh, but since its a non- K i didnt think it would overheat 

1 minute ago, ThomasJacobsen said:

Didnt check CPU tbh, but since its a non- K i didnt think it would overheat 

It does  not matter if it's k or non k, any cpu can get hot and thermal throttle.

What case are you using? Maybe it's very cramped and the air flow is very restricted? 

Edited by noxdeouroboros
additional info added.

Just now, noxdeouroboros said:

It does  not matter if it's k or non k, any cpu can get hot and thermal throttle.

Im gonna check it next time i play, but i dont think i can easily crank up the fan

2 minutes ago, ThomasJacobsen said:

Im gonna check it next time i play, but i dont think i can easily crank up the fan

You don't need to crank up cpu cooler fan, it might be a problem caused by bad airflow and cramped case, but you have to check the temps first, it might not be it. How hot your cpu is when not gaming?

You don't need to crank up cpu cooler fan, it might be a problem caused by bad airflow and cramped case, but you have to check the temps first, it might not be it.

Well im a moron, i just found my last benchmark and the problem is clearly the GPU i think you'll agree.

As the CPU render is  higher than GPU renderg84ntvpntrv11.thumb.png.f476513e9b9d925bc73c54f02ee24b32.png

4 minutes ago, ThomasJacobsen said:

Well im a moron, i just found my last benchmark and the problem is clearly the GPU i think you'll agree.

As the CPU render is  higher than GPU renderg84ntvpntrv11.thumb.png.f476513e9b9d925bc73c54f02ee24b32.png

Well your benchmark does not indicate  very jumpy fps, it looks fine, I don't understand why you experience stuttering, I found many vids with your specs, there are no significant stutters in them..Check cpu temps before buying stuff ?

3 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Well your benchmark does not indicate  very jumpy fps, it looks fine, I don't understand why you experience stuttering, I found many vids with your specs, there are no significant stutters in them..Check cpu temps before buying stuff ?

Just ran the benchmark again, no thermal problems and 0 stutter count with same settings.

It might just have been optimization problems? 

Anyways, thanks! I think i might buy a 1070 anyway for less problems with new titles ?

7 minutes ago, ThomasJacobsen said:

Just ran the benchmark again, no thermal problems and 0 stutter count with same settings.

It might just have been optimization problems? 

Anyways, thanks! I think i might buy a 1070 anyway for less problems with new titles ?

It might just been that, but I find in weird that you won't say cpu temps, how will you know if there are no problem with thermals ?

10 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

It might just been that, but I find in weird that you won't say cpu temps, how will you know if there are no problem with thermals ?

I just ran Benchmark again and had HWMonitor open, maxed at 59c while GPU maxed at 53c. I put a corsair fan in instead of the OEM Bitfenix one when i got the case so i have decent airflow. 

30f4ff28bb0fee7b617c72ef17ca31f6.png

Just now, ThomasJacobsen said:

I just ran Benchmark again and had HWMonitor open, maxed at 59c while GPU maxed at 53c. I put a corsair fan in instead of the OEM Bitfenix one when i got the case so i have decent airflow. 

30f4ff28bb0fee7b617c72ef17ca31f6.png

Then stuttering was some kind of fluke for sure, good luck gaming :)

1 minute ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Then stuttering was some kind of fluke for sure, good luck gaming :)

Thanks! You too, happy holidays!