Ryzen 3 2200g will not post NEED HELP

Nogghan
Go to solution Solved by bowrilla,

I strongly suggest trying outside of the case. You don't see a short (unless it's really bad and catches fire). A short can just lead to weird errors.

Since your memory worked in a previous build and so did the PSU and assuming you haven't done anything stupid to damage the system (got the impression this isn't your first build) it has to be either the APU or the board. Since you've already got a second APU logic strongly suggests that it's probably the board. If you're unlucky it just killed the CPU as well.

So I wanted to build my brother a PC for Christmas and I went with a ryzen 3 2200g and a B450 motherboard from MSI, long story short the first R3 I got the motherboard debug LEDs said CPU error, so I returned it and got a new one and the board still shows CPU error, I've tried using the bios flash button and everything checked all the cables, it turns on, but no output, my keyboard doesn't light up and the monitor displays no signal 

Any got any ideas what the fuck is wrong here? This is like I said the 2nd ryzen CPU I've tried with this board both gave me the same error, do I just need a different board? I thought all  the b450 and x470 boards are ryzen 2 ready out of the box???

2 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Are you sure you are installing the CPU properly?

Yes

I even went out of my way to use the instructions  just to make sure unless AMDs video has bad instructions , also it's two triangles it's not hard 

Edited by Nogghan

Well it sounds like, from here, the board is bad then. That or the psu isn't pushing out the needed power. Though, I don't know for sure if all of those boards will have 2nd gen support of the box. If you can, try the update first.

Just now, TempestCatto said:

Well it sounds like, from here, the board is bad then. That or the psu isn't pushing out the needed power. Though, I don't know for sure if all of those boards will have 2nd gen support of the box. If you can, try the update first.

CPU can also be bad.  Its been tried in several boards at this point.

10 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

I had this PSU running an overclocks i7 and 1080 it's not the PSU, if anything it's the board or the CPU, and since you can only install a ryzen processor in one direction and having now gone through 2 CPU I think it's the board but I wanted to ask you people first 

9 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

What? Are you suggesting that AMDs QA killed the CPU and they just shipped it anyways? What are you even saying?

9 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

I just bought this brand new off amazon, twice not refurbished, they fact that it's been quality assurance tested isn't going to risk killing the CPU 

3 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

It has? Damn, I didn't see that part though?

1 minute ago, Nogghan said:

I had this PSU running an overclocks i7 and 1080 it's not the PSU, if anything it's the board or the CPU, and since you can only install a ryzen processor in one direction and having now gone through 2 CPU I think it's the board but I wanted to ask you people first 

Well then sounds like it's the board then. What exact board is it? Look to see if MSI says it supports 2nd get out of the box.

4 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

It has? Damn, I didn't see that part though?

Well then sounds like it's the board then. What exact board is it? Look to see if MSI says it supports 2nd get out of the box.

It's an MSI b450 gaming pro " with ryzen 2nd gen support" on the box and I never said my CPU was used in multiple boards no idea where that guy found that info 

15456009545654078643333070679747.jpg

And on the back of the box it explicitly lists the ryzen APUs

1545601067918815094689163115846.jpg

3 minutes ago, Nogghan said:

What? Are you suggesting that AMDs QA killed the CPU and they just shipped it anyways? What are you even saying?

2 minutes ago, Nogghan said:

I just bought this brand new off amazon, twice not refurbished, they fact that it's been quality assurance tested isn't going to risk killing the CPU 

No, thought you swapped the board, not the CPU.

What are you trying to put together parts wise?  Memory can also cause strange issues.

All Ryzen 400 series boards support 1st and 2nd gen Ryzen without updates. It's the 300 series boards that may or may not support the 2000 series Ryzen chips and that's not the case here, OP has a 2nd gen CPU with a 400 series board, compatibility isn't the issue.

OP, where are you plugging the monitor into?

Do you have a dedicated GPU or just the Ryzen APU? Just want to make sure :)

How long have you waited for any signs of life after turning it on?

What PSU do you have?

Can you take an pictures of the inside of the build?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just looked it up, b450 does support 2nd gen out of the box (i've never actually known for sure as I've yet to look into building one. lol). So I'm lead to believe it's a bad motherboard. Open up an RMA with MSI.

5 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

No, thought you swapped the board, not the CPU.

What are you trying to put together parts wise?  Memory can also cause strange issues.

It's Corsair vengeance LPX 2400 but I've had this kit running in my Intel system overclocked at 3000mhz 

PSU is Corsair CX600 

GPU is an r7 7970 GHZ ( not using right now because I wanted to see how the Vega gpu did, and I've tested it again on my Intel system )

a 256gb SSD from Kingston 

And a WiFi card, also not in the system right now 

32 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Just looked it up, b450 does support 2nd gen out of the box. So I'm lead to believe it's a bad motherboard. Open up an RMA with MSI.

Meh I'll just return it to Amazon and have them send me a replacement, be faster anyways 

33 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Okay so I have an run 7979 GHz that isn't in the system I've been plugged into the motherboard for first boot ( like always) and it turns on then, the debug LED immidietly turns red next to the CPU lable, and the PSU is Corsair cx600 that I used from an old build 

I've checked the board and CPU for physical defects couldn't see anything wrong 

15456019388551484250679096940633.jpg

16 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Does that case use standoffs or does it rely on the shape of the backplate to prevent shorting?

Standoffs 9 to be exact 

And it's not shorting because it turns on stays on, just nothing happens, screens black like I never plugged it in, keyboard dark and not lighting up, same for the mouse, the motherboard LEDs turn on and stay on until I turn the system off by the power button or switch either work 

I dont know the layout of this board. Are the ram in the right slots?

Also, just because you cant see anything wrong, doesnt discount it from being a posibility.

14 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

I dont know the layout of this board. Are the ram in the right slots?

Also, just because you cant see anything wrong, doesnt discount it from being a posibility.

Yes, I even RTFM to make sure 

Just gonna try a new board, and if that doesn't work a new CPU too, at least it's all under warranty and return policy still

I strongly suggest trying outside of the case. You don't see a short (unless it's really bad and catches fire). A short can just lead to weird errors.

Since your memory worked in a previous build and so did the PSU and assuming you haven't done anything stupid to damage the system (got the impression this isn't your first build) it has to be either the APU or the board. Since you've already got a second APU logic strongly suggests that it's probably the board. If you're unlucky it just killed the CPU as well.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!