hyper 212 evo, cryorig h7, or noctua nh-u12s?

superlinusfan

I have a Ryzen 7 2700 and I want to overclock it, out of the hyper 212 evo ($30), cryorig h7 ($38), or noctua nh-u12s ($60) which one should I get? I use headphones so sound isnt really an issue

Just now, Tantabus said:

What is your budget? You can get a better cooler for $60 if you have that much to spend.

$60, really my only requirement is that it natively supports AM4

what cooler?

1 minute ago, Tantabus said:

Does the color/looks matter to you at all?

no

Any place to check prices? For $60 I usually buy Scythe or Thermalright kr even FSP big coolers

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

Any place to check prices? For $60 I usually buy Scythe or Thermalright kr even FSP big coolers

Are you asking where Im checking the prices? Im checking newegg and amazon

The coolers you mentioned are worst from best in that order. As mentioned, you can probably get a better cooler for the price though. 

What case and ram are you using? Where are you shopping / located?

Have you tried oc'ing with the stock cooler first?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

The coolers you mentioned are worst from best in that order. As mentioned, you can probably get a better cooler for the price though. 

What case and ram are you using? Where are you shopping / located?

Have you tried oc'ing with the stock cooler first?

F4-3200C14D-16GFX (g.skill flare x), and honestly I dont care about height, Ill get around it somehow if itll be an issue. And Im in America

I can barely OC, and Id like to OC it more

Scythe has some amazing coolers for around $40

Scythe's Mugen Max & Mugen 5 are great coolers.

Make sure you can fit them tho, "Ill get around it somehow if itll be an issue" will not work all that well; unless you want to

• Leave your sidepanel off permanently
  • Shave off/bend your new heatsink hell I don't even think those are "options"

I've also heard great things about the Dark Rock 4 & Dark Rock 4 Pro from BeQuiet, didn't use them myself yet.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

8 hours ago, superlinusfan said:

F4-3200C14D-16GFX (g.skill flare x), and honestly I dont care about height, Ill get around it somehow if itll be an issue. And Im in America

I can barely OC, and Id like to OC it more

Fuma Rev. B is great: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ffKhP6/scythe-fuma-revb-790-cfm-cpu-cooler-scfm-1100

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

10 hours ago, Sfekke said:

Scythe's Mugen Max & Mugen 5 are great coolers.

10 hours ago, Sfekke said:

Dark Rock 4 & Dark Rock 4 Pro from BeQuiet

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Fuma Rev. B

are those safe? they look like they scream "cracked motherboard"

1 hour ago, superlinusfan said:

I've been using my Scythe Mugen Max since 2015 in my PC that I use daily.

Motherboard isn't warped or bent, it still runs beautifully.

Attached a second 140MM fan to it as well sometime mid 2017.

Not that it adds much weight, but hey worth mentioning.

Keep in mind that is just me, others could have varying experiences.

As what I think, unless you have the cheapest motherboard around and an unhealthy dose of bad luck I think you'll be fine.

Of course don't over tighten the screws and make sure the motherboard is properly mounted as well!

Otherwise you could risk a classic post like :

"HELP I BENT MY MOTHERBOARD" and forgot how to use caps lock.

Hope I could be of some help, if not ask me & I can try to explain things differently or add more information ;)

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*

2 hours ago, superlinusfan said:

Yes, they're safe.

If you're referring to the weight, it's no an issue with good mounting hardware and proper installation. The mounting hardware should spread the load across the board. 

8 minutes ago, Sfekke said:

I've been using my Scythe Mugen Max since 2015 in my PC that I use daily.

Of course don't over tighten the screws and make sure the motherboard is properly mounted as well!

The Mugen Max uses Scythe's HMPS mounts which can be overtightened but the Mugen 5 and Fuma Rev. B uses HMPS II which is a different design that prevents overtightening. That being said, overtightening was removed to prevent damage to cpus with a thinner pcb and not the motherboard. 

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Yes, they're safe.

If you're referring to the weight, it's no an issue with good mounting hardware and proper installation. The mounting hardware should spread the load across the board. 

The Mugen Max uses Scythe's HMPS mounts which can be overtightened but the Mugen 5 and Fuma Rev. B uses HMPS II which is a different design that prevents overtightening. That being said, overtightening was removed to prevent damage to cpus with a thinner pcb and not the motherboard. 

I didn't know they actually changed that in the Mugen 5, well hey you never know too much!

Good call from them to prevent this from happening though, not everyone pays close attention  to how much they "torque it up"; better safe than sorry.

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*

1 minute ago, Sfekke said:

I didn't know they actually changed that in the Mugen 5, well hey you never know too much!

Good call from them to prevent this from happening though, not everyone pays close attention  to how much they "torque it up"; better safe than sorry.

Overtightening was also a good way to improve cooling performance so it's not entirely for the better. 

8 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Overtightening was also a good way to improve cooling performance so it's not entirely for the better. 

Might be true, but if it risks bricking a motherboard I'd argue it isn't entirely worth it.

But hey that's just my opinion, I do see why some people would want to "risk" it for a biscuit ;)

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*

2 hours ago, Sfekke said:

Might be true, but if it risks bricking a motherboard I'd argue it isn't entirely worth it.

But hey that's just my opinion, I do see why some people would want to "risk" it for a biscuit ;)

Overtightening won't break the motherboard unless you're abnormally strong. It can cause the system to not post but can be fixed by loosening the mount slightly. 

Agree with @WoodenMarker from my own personal idiocy.  Put together a system with an Asrock X470 Taichi.  Took several attempts to figure out the basic mounting system for the stock cooler because I didn't bother looking up a video online (there aren't instructions, they assume you know what you're doing).  Shoved pretty hard until I figured out what I was doing wrong with the latch (flip it over stupid).

At that moment I thought, "I am not a smart man."

If it was an older board it would have absolutely trashed it.  Thing is modern boards have a lovely thick backplate for mounting the CPU cooler, especially if you're using stock solutions or something that uses the stock mounting setup.  In any case, my system was fine, boots fine, runs fine.

Read your instructions kids.  If they don't give you instructions, find someone else that's bothered figuring it out first.