Upgrading My Membrane KB, Is there a real difference between Cherry Clones and Real ones?

ArcticEngineer

I'm new to mechanical keyboards and I find that Cherry MX switches cost significantly more than the Chinese clones. Is there really a reason to buy real cherry?

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

If you want scratchier switches, less variety and higher prices, you get Cherry switches. 

So if they're worst, why do they cost so much more?

1 minute ago, ArcticEngineer said:

People are willing to pay more. Then why sell them at lower prices?

:)

"German technology" bragging rights. My friend always says that when I refer to my Outemu browns in my keeb. But I saved a buck and the difference between them is night and day in price, but not a lot when you use it.

11 hours ago, ArcticEngineer said:

Well, cherry was once up there, their switches compared to alps were arguably more durable to dust and binded better on off centre key presses, but after a change in plastics cherry switches are super grainy compared to gateron switches. Cherry switches are also very rudimentary in design, especially in the way they introduce tactility, like in mx blues with a click jacket which makes a cringeworthy sound when you shake it around, or the very unsharp tactility made by a kink in the slider on mx browns which essentially make them broken red switches. 

Cherry Switches:

Pros:

A bit higher tolerance and QC

Cons: 
Scratchy 

More expensive

Very rudimentary design

Weak tactility on most stock switches 

Gateron Switches:

Pros: 
Cheaper
Smoother
More variety 

Cons:
Arguably worse QC

lower key tolerance (keys wobble a bit)

Cherry user here..

I have tried Outemu and Kaihl switches (only the blue variant)

I'd say the cherry is more durable and consistent.

The outemu switches starting to have double registered issues after 3 months and the switch is a bit more heavier and inconsistent.

The kaihl is a bit more mushy in feelings even though its a mechanical..its a bit heavy as well but i like the feels and the sounds when i bottom out..the switch is durable enough it last me for more than a year.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore