Should I return this mobo?

Colecvv

Hey!

I bought a Ryzen 2700X and a ASUS ROG STRIX B450-I Motherboard. At first the motherboard seemed like the right option; but after seeing the X470 motherboards that are a little bit more expensive I'm not sure if I should return it. Will I be able to overclock slightly on the B450? And will it support Ryzen in the future? The worst thing for me would have to be being a new motherboard one or two years down the line. Excuse my lack of knowledge I'm still new to the world of computers. 

Thanks in advance!

1 minute ago, Colecvv said:

Hey!

I bought a Ryzen 2700X and a ASUS ROG STRIX B450-I Motherboard. At first the motherboard seemed like the right option; but after seeing the X470 motherboards that are a little bit more expensive I'm not sure if I should return it. Will I be able to overclock slightly on the B450? And will it support Ryzen in the future? The worst thing for me would have to be being a new motherboard one or two years down the line. Excuse my lack of knowledge I'm still new to the world of computers. 

Thanks in advance!

I returned 3 motherboard before I was happy. If you want to spend the money I would say it's worth it. That was actually my first board as well. It runs fine and you can probably overclock a little, but that board is not the best B450 for overclocking a 2700x. I would upgrade it if you do plan on upgrading processors next year. The Taichi is on sale right now. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

The Zen 4 socket will be supported through 2020, after that it's unknown if they will keep the same socket or move to a different one in the years that follow.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Slottr said:

You'll overclock fine on B450

Ok thanks, much appreciated! :) Should I be worried about upgrading in the future?

AMD promised that AM4 (the socket and CPU type for all ryzen stuff) would be used until 2020, so the b450 would work but in terms of overclocking, an x470 would be better. For the best OC'ing go for an ASRock Taichi.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

Just now, Colecvv said:

Ok thanks, much appreciated! :) Should I be worried about upgrading in the future?

It won't overclock the 2700x the greatest and it won't handle the new ryzen cpu's in the future as well either. If you want to be prepared you could go all out an get an asus rog crosshair hero (x470) which is expensive, but will overclock the 2700x really well and will be able to handle some of the newer ryzen CPU's

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

2 minutes ago, Colecvv said:

No, like everyone else is saying - AM4 will be used up until or even longer than 2020.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

No, like everyone else is saying - AM4 will be used up until or even longer than 2020.

3 minutes ago, mxk. said:

AMD promised that AM4 (the socket and CPU type for all ryzen stuff) would be used until 2020, so the b450 would work but in terms of overclocking, an x470 would be better. For the best OC'ing go for an ASRock Taichi.

Ok, thanks for the help. I think I'll just go with the b450 then because it's cheaper and if I do overclock it will be very light. I don't think I'll be upgrading in the near future so it seems like getting a more expensive board won't help much further down the line because it won't support more than AM4. Thanks again for the help, much appreciated.