Which cooler under £40 for my OCed R5 1600

Metable

I am saving up next year, to finish the PC I built last year such as getting a new case(Phanteks P350x) and a new cooler. My Ryzen 5 1600 is overclocked to 3.8Ghz, I have OCed to 4.1 stable but the temps were getting to 80c and I would like my pc to be cool.

I was looking at the Artic Freezer 33 Esports(£28.99 here in the UK), CoolerMaster Hyper 612 v2(£35.99) and the CoolerMaster Seidon 240v(£43.93).

If I get the Hyper612 I will likely replace the 40CFM fan with a 110CFM fan.

Which one should I get?

Edit: I would prefer to spend less money on the cooler so I can also get better ram.

I recently got an ARCTIC Freezer 33 Plus for an i7-5820k and it works great. At 4Ghz Prime95 max heat it gets to 75-80c with a custom fan profile in the bios. I got it for £28 on amazon but the price has gone up a bit now. You do get two fans which is better than one but obviously not double as good.

Those other coolers are good but I had heard a few people complaining about CoolerMaster having lowish quality fans that are load. I know for sure that ARCTIC fans are decent. on full speed 100% the fans on my 33 Plus are still quiet than most blower GPUs and when running on normal speeds they are pretty quiet.

I personally wouldn't speed more than £30 on a cooler as it's not worth it and the most expensive are pretty big and might not fit well. Unless you want RGB there's no need to pay that much.

Gaming Rig:CPU: Xeon E3-1230 v2¦RAM: 16GB DDR3 Balistix 1600Mhz¦MB: MSI Z77A-G43¦HDD: 480GB SSD, 3.5TB HDDs¦GPU: AMD Radeon VII¦PSU: FSP 700W¦Case: Carbide 300R

5 minutes ago, Madgemade said:

I recently got an ARCTIC Freezer 33 Plus for an i7-5820k and it works great. At 4Ghz Prime95 max heat it gets to 75-80c with a custom fan profile in the bios. I got it for £28 on amazon but the price has gone up a bit now.

Those other coolers are good but I had heard a few people complaining about CoolerMaster having lowish quality fans that are load. I know for sure that ARCTIC fans are decent. on full speed 100% the fans on my 33 Plus are still quiet than most blower GPUs and when running on normal speeds they are pretty quiet.

Thanks, I also saw some graphs showing that the generic CoolerMaster fans peform really badly, which is why I would replace them with a 110CFM fan. The 612 has a pretty beefy heatsink with 6 heatpipes aswell which is why I am considering it.

If you can mount other fans easily then that should be fine. My thinking on this is that for £40 you can get an AIO watercooler. So it doesn't make much sense to spend £35+£5 for the new fan. Thats my opinion though, I'm pretty sure even a basic AIO will be better than most Air Cooler (except really pricey Noctur stuff).

Gaming Rig:CPU: Xeon E3-1230 v2¦RAM: 16GB DDR3 Balistix 1600Mhz¦MB: MSI Z77A-G43¦HDD: 480GB SSD, 3.5TB HDDs¦GPU: AMD Radeon VII¦PSU: FSP 700W¦Case: Carbide 300R

Just now, Madgemade said:

If you can mount other fans easily then that should be fine. My thinking on this is that for £40 you can get an AIO watercooler. So it doesn't make much sense to spend £35+£5 for the new fan. Thats my opinion though, I'm pretty sure even a basic AIO will be better than most Air Cooler (except really pricey Noctur stuff).

Don't cheap out on an AIO!

A Noctua L9A-AM4 should be good for about 45 pounds.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

1 minute ago, Madgemade said:

Yh the Cooler Master Seidon 240v AIO is £40 as well its just I have heard that AIO's don't last as long as air coolers and that cheap ones are no better then a similarly priced air cooler. Its a shame I can't get ID-Cooling AIO's for cheap anymore as they used to do a really good 280mm AIO for the same price and it had its own pump design.

1 minute ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Problem with that is I am looking for a beefy cooler not a low profile cooler. I have heard that about AIO's before which is why I am hesitant to get such a cheap one, thanks.

Just now, Metable said:

Problem with that is I am looking for a beefy cooler not a low profile cooler. I have heard that about AIO's before which is why I am hesitant to get such a cheap one, thanks.

A L9A is pretty good as far as I know and since Ryzen is pretty cool, it's probably pretty good.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

4 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

A Noctua L9A-AM4 should be good for about 45 pounds

That looks like a low profile cooler?? £45 is too much 50% more than £30, no air cooler is going to be 50% better than the ones OP has quoted. £25 is probably best value price and anything more is diminishing returns. I'm not saying it's bad but not good if you want to save money. The Best of something is almost never the best value for money.

1 minute ago, NunoLava1998 said:

A L9A is pretty good as far as I know and since Ryzen is pretty cool, it's probably pretty good.

My stock cooler is probably better then that, I want a beefier cooler so I can OC more.

I can't find many people with the CoolerMaster 612 v2 or Seidon 240v which kind of puts me off. The 612 is a very large cooler and for the size and specs it looks pretty good for the price. However with the 110CFM fan I would add to it, it will cost as much as the CM Seidon AIO.

An Arctic Freezer 33 eSports ONE // @seoz //

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

2 hours ago, Madgemade said:

120 mm, very thin radiator combined with questionable quality fan. That's a pass.

@Metable https://www.amazon.co.uk/DEEPCOOL-Lucifer-Heatpipes-Sockets-warranty/dp/B00S0Q1UKA

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

3 hours ago, Metable said:

If I get the Hyper612 I will likely replace the 40CFM fan with a 110CFM fan.

You mean a 1900rpm Slipstream?

You mentioned trying to keep cost low. Did you already have the fan?

If you do, you can save some money with a standalone heatsink like the Ereboss Core: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/MQRFf7/raijintek-ereboss-core-edition-fanless-cpu-cooler-0r100015

3 hours ago, Metable said:

Thanks, I also saw some graphs showing that the generic CoolerMaster fans peform really badly, which is why I would replace them with a 110CFM fan. The 612 has a pretty beefy heatsink with 6 heatpipes aswell which is why I am considering it.

The BladeMaster that comes with the Hyper 612 V2 isn't a bad fan but isn't very well suited for the heatsink's loose fins.

3 hours ago, NunoLava1998 said:

That's not any better than the stock cooler. 

35 minutes ago, Metable said:

Thanks, looks a bit smaller then the 612 v2, I will look at some vids on it.

It's not. The Lucifer V2 is slightly larger, heavier, and comes with more fins. That being said, they perform similarly. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.