GH5 for stills?

I mostly shoot video but really enjoy taking stills from time to time, I'm thinking about getting a GH5 but want a camera that has fairly solid still performance. How bad of quality does the GH5 have in stills? I've looked at getting a G9 because it seems more balanced but not having 10-bit 4:2:2 is hard to give up

The GH5 should do just fine for stills. I look at it this way, if you shoot mostly video but also a bit of stills, go GH5. If you shoot mostly stills but also a bit of video, go G9.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

Well it depends on what you want to shoot and what quality you expect to get out of it. 

It will probably be crap in low light, relatively to a larger sensor and AF will not be so fast to reliably shoot fast action with, dynamic range will be limted, but the quality will still be far better than a phone, or even a good "pro dslr" from 10 years ago.

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

On 12/23/2018 at 11:39 AM, cc143 said:

Well it depends on what you want to shoot and what quality you expect to get out of it. 

It will probably be crap in low light, relatively to a larger sensor and AF will not be so fast to reliably shoot fast action with, dynamic range will be limted, but the quality will still be far better than a phone, or even a good "pro dslr" from 10 years ago.

I kind of assumed OP was cool with the MFT sensor since the main competitor is the G9

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

3 hours ago, YellowJersey said:

I kind of assumed OP was cool with the MFT sensor since the main competitor is the G9

Well sure I guess that is a possibility, I merely outlined the issues prevalent in the gh5 and I guess inadvertently G9 as well, although I understand the G9 is better at those things than the gh5 in most regards.

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

• 2 weeks later...

Could you spend more and go Nikon Z6? Or maybe A7 III? Both cameras that are excellent all-rounders. 

Maybe consider the Fuji X-T3 or X-H1. Incredibly good value IMO and the feel while shooting is great.