Corsair and peripherals

itractus

So, let me start things out by saying I'm a heavy user of my gear. I'm not particularly carefull with my gear. So I'm by no means saying this isn't my fault.

Having said that, I've spend hundreds of euros on just computer peripheral in the last couple of years, and I have the oppertunity to try out lot's of hardware through my job (IT field).

I remember some video from back in the day where Linus said the M series mice by corsair fit his grip really well. I agree with this, but after owning 4 different model M mice, and them always failing in the same spot, I have to speak up.

The middle mouse button has broke on my M60,M65, and 2 plastic model M (i don't know the model) mice. ALL of my corsair mice have this issue. This is almost 200 euros in just mice, so it's a bit ridiculous that these, can i call them high end?, mice break so easily. My logitech or dell or lenovon or HP OEM mice NEVER have this issue. Not even after decades of use.

The mechanical keyboards build quality is great. Metal base, great layout and switches make it a good choice for anyone looking to spend serious money on a keyboard. But for the love of god the keyswitches that are stuck to it are utter trash. I have ordered 2 replacement sets of caps, because they keep breaking. Again, my 50 bucks OEM keyboards NEVER have this issue.

Headsets, their build quality is not great. I have only owned the vengeance 2000, but DAMN, sound quality is meh, there is a hiss from the battery and like all other peripherals from corsair, it broke

All in all,

Corsair, Great Memory, Great Cases. Don't buy anything else from them. Take it from someone who has owned many a product from them.

I have been using my Corsair M65 Pro RGB for what? 2 years now? best mice I've ever owned.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I personally think this is one of those topics that becomes difficult to pinpoint the cause.  I have had good stuff and bad stuff from Corsair.

The Good: Strafe RGB Keybaord, Dark Core Mouse, Vengeance RGB Pro Memory, HX1000i, Vengeance LED Memory

The Okay: Lighting Node Pro, RGB Strips, H110i, Air 540 Case

The Bad: HX850i (RMA'd), Force GT SSD, Force LS SSD, Commander Pro (RMA'd), LL120 Fans

There are good and bad sides to all products, personally when I have had to RMA stuff or replace it, I usually assume that I have done something wrong to cause it, but then again I am not an idiot.

Which Keycaps keep breaking, all of them or only specific ones, has it been the same ones both times?

BLACK and BLUE Build

i9-9900K - 5.2 Ghz @ 1.305 vCore, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (@ 3200 Mhz), Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Extreme, EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra, Samsung 970 Pro, Samsung 970 EVO, Dual Custom Loop Cooling, Thermaltake Tower 900, AX1500i

VR Build

i7-8700K - 5.1 Ghz @ 1.36 vCore, 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB (@ 3200 Mhz), Asus Maximus X Hero (Wi Fi ac), 2x EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition, Toshiba NVME, Custom Loop Cooling, Thermaltake Core P5, HX1000i

FreeNAS Server Build

Pentium G5400, 8 GB Kingston HyperX Fury (@ 2400 MHz), Asrock H370M-ITX/ac, Intel 320 System SSD, 4x Hitachi 7200K 4 TB HDD, Thermaltake TR2 650W, Cooler Master Master Liquid Lite 120, Bit Fenix Prodigy

Daughter's First BuildCore i3-6100, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (@ 2133 MHz), Asrock H270M-ITX/ac, XFX RX-580 GTS, Custom Watercooling (Both CPU and GPU) 2x Corsair Force LS, PowerSpec 550w, NZXT H200i

For the mice. The Corsair mouse that I have is the M65 Pro RGB. Easily the worst mouse I've ever used.The shape is aweful and uncomfortable. The weight is way too high (even without any weights). The sniper button makes the mouse harder to use than it should. The software doesn't allow me to reprogram the buttons to exactly what I want. And the quality has issues, as I wrote about in this status update. 

https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/87946-seon123/?status=213813&type=status

Corsair uses thin laser etched keycaps on their keyboards. That's close to the worst kind you can get. Cheap mechanical keyboards often use double shot keycaps, which are much much much nicer than what you find on Corsair's. Get a set that's not from Corsair, if you want some that aren't complete crap. Just make sure that it supports a 6,5u space bar, because Corsair opted for a non standard layout. That makes finding keycaps harder than it should be. 

What about their memory kits is particularly good? I think I've heard that their Samsung B-dies kits are worse than what you find from other brands. 

:)

39 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

I have been using my Corsair M65 Pro RGB for what? 2 years now? best mice I've ever owned. 

Hmmm, I agree that's it's pretty comfy. It's fast and responsive, and the cable is OK.

30 minutes ago, GMart84 said:

Which Keycaps keep breaking, all of them or only specific ones, has it been the same ones both times?

They are not particularly good keycaps, you can't deny that. Especially for the price. The replacement set's are about 30 euro's.... I've been using OEM set's you find off their website. See seon123's comment

20 minutes ago, seon123 said:

For the mice. The Corsair mouse that I have is the M65 Pro RGB. Easily the worst mouse I've ever used.The shape is aweful and uncomfortable. The weight is way too high (even without any weights). The sniper button makes the mouse harder to use than it should. The software doesn't allow me to reprogram the buttons to exactly what I want. And the quality has issues, as I wrote about in this status update. 

https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/87946-seon123/?status=213813&type=status

Corsair uses thin laser etched keycaps on their keyboards. That's close to the worst kind you can get. Cheap mechanical keyboards often use double shot keycaps, which are much much much nicer than what you find on Corsair's. Get a set that's not from Corsair, if you want some that aren't complete crap. Just make sure that it supports a 6,5u space bar, because Corsair opted for a non standard layout. That makes finding keycaps harder than it should be. 

What about their memory kits is particularly good? I think I've heard that their Samsung B-dies kits are worse than what you find from other brands.  

I have particularly good experiences with the Vengeance kit's for larger scale rollouts. I'm talking 250+ machines for schools etc...  The basic kits are great bang for your buck parts. Their PSU's are Great, but that's because they are mostly Seasonic PSU's if i remember correctly.

Their mouse software frustrates me aswell.

You're on the money with the keyboards.

Just now, itractus said:

Hmmm, I agree that's it's pretty comfy. It's fast and responsive, and the cable is OK.

The summary is that people will have different experiences with the same product... there is a lot of "taste" involved here.

A shame that you had such bad luck though.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

@itractus I am not denying that they are not particularly good.

BLACK and BLUE Build

i9-9900K - 5.2 Ghz @ 1.305 vCore, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (@ 3200 Mhz), Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Extreme, EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra, Samsung 970 Pro, Samsung 970 EVO, Dual Custom Loop Cooling, Thermaltake Tower 900, AX1500i

VR Build

i7-8700K - 5.1 Ghz @ 1.36 vCore, 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB (@ 3200 Mhz), Asus Maximus X Hero (Wi Fi ac), 2x EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition, Toshiba NVME, Custom Loop Cooling, Thermaltake Core P5, HX1000i

FreeNAS Server Build

Pentium G5400, 8 GB Kingston HyperX Fury (@ 2400 MHz), Asrock H370M-ITX/ac, Intel 320 System SSD, 4x Hitachi 7200K 4 TB HDD, Thermaltake TR2 650W, Cooler Master Master Liquid Lite 120, Bit Fenix Prodigy

Daughter's First BuildCore i3-6100, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (@ 2133 MHz), Asrock H270M-ITX/ac, XFX RX-580 GTS, Custom Watercooling (Both CPU and GPU) 2x Corsair Force LS, PowerSpec 550w, NZXT H200i

4 minutes ago, itractus said:

Their PSU's are Great, but that's because they are mostly Seasonic PSU's if i remember correctly.

The RMx and up are great, although not always the best at their price. 

Only the AX760, AX860, AX850 Titanium and AX1000 Titanium are Seasonic, iirc. The rest are GW, CWT, Flextronics and HEC, I think. 

Being made by Seasonic doesn't make a PSU good. It just makes sure that the QC isn't always as good as with bigger companies and that the fans are mediocre. The S12 II and M12 II (and their rebrands) are also ancient, loud crap. 

:)

*exhale

Here we go..someone out of billions of people had a bad experience with certain product and telling people not to buy from them while other would try to convince other that their product is okay because they had a good experience from it.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

Corsair keyboards

cons:
-Cheap thin laser etched painted abs caps

-Not very flexible cables that aren't removable 

-Some of the worse stabilizers ive seen 

-None standard bottom row 

pros:
-Metal mounting plate

-Cherry switches (a bit scratchy, otherwise decent, but overrated imo)

-Media controls & macros