First new build in a decade, need advice!

clustr1

I am currently embroiled in decision paralysis.  i7… R7… i5… 2070… 1070 TI… 2.5”… M.2… AIO… so many decisions!  I haven’t been a close follower of the PC world for around 10 years, but I have now fallen deep into the worm hole.  After a few months of dedicated Linus Tech Tips and Gamers Nexus watching (among others) I feel I have a decent grasp of the current PC landscape.  That being said, I am looking for some advice on the following.  Thanks in advance, this is a great community and I am excited to be a part of it. 

As a background, I am in the USA (New Jersey specifically) and have a budget around $1500 (PC only).  But that is where it gets tricky… I could spend more (up to $2k) but I also enjoy saving money and do not want to spend it needlessly.  On the other side of the coin, I haven’t refreshed my PC in near 10 years, so I am comfortable buying a machine that is beyond my current needs with the idea that it will last ~5 years without requiring significant upgrades.  I plan on playing games as well as some minor photo and video editing.  On the gaming front, I don’t have many specifics to point to but would like to be able to play future AAA titles. 

I’ve got 3 builds going over on PC partpicker, key components summarized here:

1. Intel: i7 8700k, Noctua NH D15s, Samsung 500 GB M.2, EVGA RTX 2070 – Total Cost ~$1,890

2. AMD: Ryzen 7 2700X, Stock Cooler, Samsung 500 GB M.2, EVGA RTX 2070 – Total Cost ~$1,550

3. AMD Modest: Ryzen 7 2700X, Stock Cooler, Samsung 2.5”, MSI GTX 1070 Ti – Total Cost ~$1,300

dont bother with NVME storage unless you do lots of 4K video work. id probably get the number 3 and then get nice screens. if you do photo and video work im guessing colors are going to be important. if you use a lot of adobe programs i think they perform much better on Intel though because of the IGPU

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

if you plan on gaming? 1. is best. 

not only gaming? 2 is best choice. 

Rig 1: i7-9700k OC'd to 5.0ghz all core | EVGA XC RTX 2080Ti | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 4x8gb | ASUS PRIME Z370-P | Asetek 550LC 120mm | ADATA 480GB SSD & Toshiba P300 3TB | Cooler Master Masterbox MB500 | Win 10 Home | Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum, G502 Proteus Spectrum, G933 Artemis Spectrum Snow Wireless Limited Edition, Corsair MM300 Mouse Pad | 2 MSI Optix Curved 27" FHD Monitors 

(before i sold the WD drive and MSI gpu - https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11946219 171 gaming. felt good.)

Rig 2: i7-7700k Stock clocks | MSI Armor GTX 1070 | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 2x8GB | MSI Z270 A-Pro | WD Green 240GB SSD & 2TB Seagate HDD | Thermaltake Core G21 Tempered Glass Edition | Win 10 Home | 2 HP Omen FHD 144hz 24.5" Monitors 

Rig 3: i7-6700 | GT 730 & GT 645 OEM | Some random DDR4 2133mhz 2x8gb sticks | OEM Dell Mobo | WD Black 2TB HDD & Toshiba 1TB HDD | Win 10 Home | 3 27" Dell FHD Monitors 

Rig 4: i7-4770 | EVGA SSC 1050ti | Some random DDR3 ram 2x2gb and 2x4gb sticks | OEM Dell Mobo | Stock Cooler | 1TB WD Black HDD | Win 7 Home 

RIP 

Rig 5 (dead and dismantled and sold) : i7-7820X OC'd to 4.8ghz all core | MSI DUKE 1080ti | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 4x8gb | Gigabyte X299 UD4 PRO | Asetek 240mm AIO | WD Green 240gb SSD | Other various components that I can't remember

Rig 6 (same fate as rig 5) i7-8700k stock clocks | MSI DUKE 1080ti | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 2x8gb | MSI Z370 A-Pro | Asetek 550LC 120mm | WD Green 240GB SSD & Toshiba 2TB HDD | Other various components that I can't Remember 

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

dont bother with NVME storage unless you do lots of 4K video work. id probably get the number 3 and then get nice screens. if you do photo and video work im guessing colors are going to be important. if you use a lot of adobe programs i think they perform much better on Intel though because of the IGPU

Thanks, so you think the NVME is overkill for general PC use and gaming?

14 minutes ago, clustr1 said:

Thanks, so you think the NVME is overkill for general PC use and gaming?

seeing as it barely does anything over a nice SATA drive in boot times, game load times and so on its generally considered a waste of money unless you do something like 4K video work that uses a lot of big files. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, TH3R34P3R said:

if you plan on gaming? 1. is best. 

not only gaming? 2 is best choice. 

That is where I am leaning.  The positive buzz around AMD in general and the potential future compatibility of their current chipset (for at least another year or so) also helps.   But I do like the idea of cranking up the i7 and getting some sweet sweet high frequencies.

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

seeing as it barely does anything over a nice SATA drive in boot times, game load times and so on its generally considered a waste of money unless you do something like 4K video work that uses a lot of big files. 

Good to know, thanks!  I'll stick to the 2.5".

48 minutes ago, clustr1 said:

That is where I am leaning.  The positive buzz around AMD in general and the potential future compatibility of their current chipset (for at least another year or so) also helps.   But I do like the idea of cranking up the i7 and getting some sweet sweet high frequencies.

The Ryzen is overclockable, although the GHz won't be as high (even though GHz doesn't really matter)

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

8 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

The Ryzen is overclockable, although the GHz won't be as high (even though GHz doesn't really matter)

How capable is the stock cooler on the R7?  To me that is one of the benefits, but if overclocking would require a cooler upgrade, it eats into the value proposition. 

1 minute ago, clustr1 said:

How capable is the stock cooler on the R7?  To me that is one of the benefits, but if overclocking would require a cooler upgrade, it eats into the value proposition. 

It's actually pretty good, unlike the intel stock cooler, and Ryzen runs cool too, so it's easy overclocking.

My Ryzen 1500X at 3.9GHz doesn't go past 55C during any normal loads and doesn't go past 60C during Prime95.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

Why not 2700X + RTX 2080? It's way cheaper than the first build, but better overall (even for gaming, especially if at 1440p or more).

I would still use the motherboard you used in the last build though.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

1 minute ago, Nocte said:

Why not 2700X + RTX 2080? It's way cheaper than the first build, but better overall (even for gaming, especially if at 1440p or more).

I would still use the motherboard you used in the last build though.

Whoa, very interesting... had not even considered the 2080 as it just seems so pricey.  But in combination with the 2700x and the 2.5" SSD, doesn't look bad at all.