Replacement for i5-2400

WarDance

So bit over a year ago a couple of older gamers (60+) in our gaming community wanted a better gaming experiences with the games they played (archeage/7d2d) they only could afford $500 total to cover both the pc's. (turns out they were using those slim acer computers using the the integrated graphics on a Pentium) several ebay auctions/goodwill trips/ craiglist deals/ and harassing friends for their old hardware i was able to scrape together both comps. one with i5-4460, 8gb ram and a gtx 950 the other was i5-2400, 8gb ram, gts 450 (since has been upgraded to a 1050ti) both computers are running into ram limitations as the games they play are updated and the 2400 is starting to show its age. i've scraped together 4 4gb sticks to replace two of the 2gb sticks in both systems to give them each 12gb (recommended for 7d2d) but as for the 2400 I'm not sure which processor would be best price/performance upgrade for them. they are not tech savy and being i live in Michigan and they live in Montana doing it myself isnt an option (for the1050ti i was traveling to idaho so i was able to swap that for them then) With that being the case sticking with the same socket would probably be best although far from ideal just to limit the amount of swaps they need. i was think the i7-2600k or would it make more sense to spend a bit more on the 3000series?

budget and lack of their tech savvyness is a big limiting factor from ideal, but i was still hoping i could get some opinions.

thanks for your time,

Chris

I7 3770 or 2700 are easy to find on eBay, delivering similar performance.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad