Windows 10 Digital License Transfer

Kenoxabe
Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,

If its retail, complain to MS. Retail license means its valid on every one device at the time, without limits. OEMs can be refused to activate on new hardware, or after some other limit and by installing one you agree on that limit. Ofc you can try with OEM to call and make-up some sad story. Thats up to you.

E: Or if license is connected to your MS account, just login. Connecting key to account frees it from limits.

Hi guys. Gonna go straight to the scenario.

Built a new rig yesterday (Specs in the sig). Tried to install my Windows 10 (which I got from the 2015 Windows 7 to Windows 10 Free Upgrade). Windows not activating anymore.

RECAP on how many devices I've used this license. (I DONT HAVE ANY WINDOWS 10 PRODUCT KEY SINCE IT WAS FREE FROM MS).

1. 2015 from Windows 7 to Windows 10 Update. i5 2500k P67 Motherboard. WORKED.

2. 2016. Installed on a new rig. i5 4690k Z97 Motherboard. WORKED.

3. 2016. Installed on a new rig. i5 6500 B150M Motherboard. WORKED.

4. 2018. Installed on a new rig. Ryzen 7 2700X B450 Motherboard. NOT WORKING.

Any work around on this? Thanks.

as far as i know no.
i also upgraded to win10 for free.
and i upgraded alot of hardware no issue but after upgrading to my ryzen build i can't get it activated.
cause keys are motherboard bound.

i ended up buying a new license for $50 from a friend who has a pc shop.

i was done trying to activate it, but you may have better luck

Current build: Ryzen 7 1700x, asus prime x370-pro, 16gb gskill trident z rgb, asus rog strix gtx 1070 ti, corsair rm650x, nzxt s340 elite, samsung 840 pro 256gb, 1.5tb hdd.

If you use an online account rather than offline for login then just call MS and explain the problem, they will fix it over the phone. 

If you are one of those that "deactivates all the crap ware in windows hurr hurr hurr" then still call MS and explain but they most likely will not believe you and will want you to buy a new windows 10 license.

MS support is usually very helpful, just tell them what happened and see what they can do. For licensing issues the only people that can help you are the original vendor. 

One thing to add though is if your original windows 7 license was an OEM license rather than a retail license then you will have to buy a new license for your new machine because that's the rules with OEM and you would just have been lucky it worked previously. 

If its retail, complain to MS. Retail license means its valid on every one device at the time, without limits. OEMs can be refused to activate on new hardware, or after some other limit and by installing one you agree on that limit. Ofc you can try with OEM to call and make-up some sad story. Thats up to you.

E: Or if license is connected to your MS account, just login. Connecting key to account frees it from limits.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Bummer. The Windows 7 that I had before grabbing the free upgrade to Windows 10 was OEM. Making it unusable to this new rig. Gonna buy me a new license it seems. Thanks for the answers!