High FPS but games feel laggy

Defame

I built a new rig back in summer and despite being more than capable of handling the games I play, they all feel pretty off--they feel laggy even though I'm getting high frame rates. I've messed around with v-sync on/off, various monitor refresh rates + overclocking to 75Hz, tons of different Nvidia settings, using the lowest settings in games and updating my drivers. Nothing seems to help substantially though. I'm starting to question if it has something to do with the cheap mouse I've had for a few years. Could it be causing some sort of input choppiness that appears as lag? Some games don't feel as laggy though so I don't know. I'm really not sure how else to troubleshoot this.

Specs:

Ryzen 5 1400

GTX 1050 Ti

16gb RAM @ 2400MHz

HP 25f 1080p 60Hz

Redragon Centrophorus mouse

yes that could be, it could also be frame times or the .1 and 1% low's which makes games feel choppy.

(also 2400mhz ram isn't that fast, ryzen loves fast ram but i doubt that has anything to do with your issue)

Current build: Ryzen 7 1700x, asus prime x370-pro, 16gb gskill trident z rgb, asus rog strix gtx 1070 ti, corsair rm650x, nzxt s340 elite, samsung 840 pro 256gb, 1.5tb hdd.

Make sure ram in bios is set to XMP profile at 2400Mhz. Even i you've set it up like this first time it might bounce back to stock settings.  

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

Ping and packet loss while gaming?

Is it only in online games, or is it also in singleplayergames

12 hours ago, Martijn Klerks said:

yes that could be, it could also be frame times or the .1 and 1% low's which makes games feel choppy.

(also 2400mhz ram isn't that fast, ryzen loves fast ram but i doubt that has anything to do with your issue)

12 hours ago, ZeouLs said:

Run benchmarks and check for the lowest fps and 1% lows

I've noticed some games' fps counters show a high avg fps but a consistently very low minimum so that could be it? What software do you recommend for benchmarking?

12 hours ago, JuztBe said:

Make sure ram in bios is set to XMP profile at 2400Mhz. Even i you've set it up like this first time it might bounce back to stock settings.  

I have 4 x 4gb sticks running @ 2400Mhz. They're rated at 2666MHz though so I assume that means I can't take advantage of dual channel speeds? Or can I change that in the BIOS? I know it's not the ideal set up. I built the rig with 2 x 4gb sticks originally and scored an identical pair of the same ram for free so I threw them in.

12 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Ping and packet loss while gaming?

Is it only in online games, or is it also in singleplayergames

Both singleplayer and multiplayer.

if you are maintaining over 60fps consistently then look for latency elsewhere. the mouse is wired or wireless? what type of monitor?

16 hours ago, sYNTHwAVE said:

if you are maintaining over 60fps consistently then look for latency elsewhere. the mouse is wired or wireless? what type of monitor?

Wired mouse. HP 25f, 1920x1080, 60Hz (OC 75), 5ms response.

Bump

Please... anyone...

My expensive new rig is effectively no better than my old craptastic laptop

On 12/22/2018 at 10:53 PM, Defame said:

Bump

Please... anyone...

My expensive new rig is effectively no better than my old craptastic laptop

have you tried a diferent mouse yet, different display? different cable's?

Current build: Ryzen 7 1700x, asus prime x370-pro, 16gb gskill trident z rgb, asus rog strix gtx 1070 ti, corsair rm650x, nzxt s340 elite, samsung 840 pro 256gb, 1.5tb hdd.

On 12/23/2018 at 11:16 PM, Martijn Klerks said:

have you tried a diferent mouse yet, different display? different cable's?

I switched out my HP monitor for my craptastic Sceptre TV and the stuttering and choppiness was still there. Even though the TV is pretty cheap, I'm fairly confident the issue I'm having is with my computer hardware/software. I tried a different HDMI cable with both the TV as well as my monitor and no apparent difference there either. Once I can afford a new mouse, I'll look at buying a higher-end one to rule out any problems with mouse input. I'm not so sure that's the problem anymore but I'll replace it when I can anyways. Forgot to add I overclocked the ram back to its rated 2666 speeds but haven't seen any improvement.

The games I've been playing lately are CS:GO, Insurgency, Minecraft and Sea of Thieves. I was able to pinpoint some stuff in Minecraft that I thought was worth noting:

-- Better fps with the Optifine mod and drastically reduced stuttering/choppiness.

-- Very stuttery without Optifine

-- Every 5-10 seconds, the game freezes for a split second and then catches back up to realtime. It's sort of subtle and noticeable at the same time.

-- Lots of FPS fluctuation ranging from 300 FPS down to 30 FPS.

So overall, Minecraft and Sea of Thieves usually run at a solid 60+ FPS but most of the time they FEEL like 30-40 FPS. And on the other hand CS:GO and Insurgency run buttery smooth with no stuttering at all. Whether or not that info is helpful or not, I do not know. I'm getting desperate though lol