Very hot running 8700k

Hello,

So I have a Delidded 8700k with a H110i cooler which should be plenty sufficient for my chip but it really likes to run hotter than I'm comfortable running around 70c under load (cinabench) at stock settings. I have managed to make it stable at 5.1Ghz with no issues and in a normal gaming environment my chip stays in the upper 70's mid 80's but that just seems really hot for me under a constant load and even at stock it isn't much better. My idle temps are pretty hot too around the upper 40's. I have been troublshooting but for a delidded chip (I do them myself and I've done a few in the past with great success) running upper 70's stock with a very high end cooler just seems odd to me and I would really like to get it lower. Could it possibly be a bad delid/relid or mount? 

Other spec

16gb 2400mhz ddr4

Asrock Z370 Gaming K6

H110i GTX

GTX 1070ti

11 minutes ago, NVIDIAFANBOYEXTREME said:

Hello,

So I have a Delidded 8700k with a H110i cooler which should be plenty sufficient for my chip but it really likes to run hotter than I'm comfortable running around 70c under load (cinabench) at stock settings. I have managed to make it stable at 5.1Ghz with no issues and in a normal gaming environment my chip stays in the upper 70's mid 80's but that just seems really hot for me under a constant load and even at stock it isn't much better. My idle temps are pretty hot too around the upper 40's. I have been troublshooting but for a delidded chip (I do them myself and I've done a few in the past with great success) running upper 70's stock with a very high end cooler just seems odd to me and I would really like to get it lower. Could it possibly be a bad delid/relid or mount? 

Other spec

16gb 2400mhz ddr4

Asrock Z370 Gaming K6

H110i GTX

GTX 1070ti

Yeah I'd remount the cooler first and then if the temps still don't improve then redo the delid.

12 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Yeah I'd remount the cooler first and then if the temps still don't improve then redo the delid.

Yup. I agree with this. Did you use liquid metal? Or just a different aftermarket paste?

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

Did you re-silicon the IHS to the chip? This a lot of the time can completely negate any delidded performance increase. It's best to use none, or at the very least a tiny amount.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

12 hours ago, Cereal5 said:

Did you re-silicon the IHS to the chip? This a lot of the time can completely negate any delidded performance increase. It's best to use none, or at the very least a tiny amount.

12 hours ago, mxk. said:

Yup. I agree with this. Did you use liquid metal? Or just a different aftermarket paste?

13 hours ago, imreloadin said:

Thanks guys,

ill try remounting and re doing the delid. Going to try a new thermal compound on the remount because I have to order more anyways. For the delid I do re-silicon it on I’ll try to use as little as possible to see what difference it’ll make. I use liquid metal on the die I apply it with q-tips is there a better way to apply?

thanks

43 minutes ago, NVIDIAFANBOYEXTREME said:

Thanks guys,

ill try remounting and re doing the delid. Going to try a new thermal compound on the remount because I have to order more anyways. For the delid I do re-silicon it on I’ll try to use as little as possible to see what difference it’ll make. I use liquid metal on the die I apply it with q-tips is there a better way to apply?

thanks

For liquid metal, I think thermal grizzly includes a q-tip, and if not, then I'm going to assume you have one. You just spread it out of the die evenly, and put some on the underside of the heat spreader, too. I think linus made a video on delidding with liquid metal, and if not then I'm sure you can find a video for reference.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

25 minutes ago, mxk. said:

For liquid metal, I think thermal grizzly includes a q-tip, and if not, then I'm going to assume you have one. You just spread it out of the die evenly, and put some on the underside of the heat spreader, too. I think linus made a video on delidding with liquid metal, and if not then I'm sure you can find a video for reference.

Alright, I have seen people put the liquid metal on the cpu die only and some where they put it on both is there actually a difference?

1 minute ago, NVIDIAFANBOYEXTREME said:

Alright, I have seen people put the liquid metal on the cpu die only and some where they put it on both is there actually a difference?

I'm pretty sure they put it on both to make sure it makes contact properly. Its probably a good idea to put it on both.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

2 hours ago, mxk. said:

I'm pretty sure they put it on both to make sure it makes contact properly. Its probably a good idea to put it on both.

alright thanks

Okay so I re dud the delid and re-mounted the cooler. I was getting great temps (idle around 20-25c) 75c at max load at 5.1ghz. I woke up this morning windows was acting funny and froze up/crashed a few times so I had to deal with that but now my temps are back to idling at the 40's and thermal throttling as soon as its hit with a load. This is super odd behavior and it isnt because of the cpu itself now.

So another update, I just tightened my cpu cooler mounts down more and it solved. I tightened them with a screwdriver last time so idk why the keep needing to be tightened.