PLEASE HELP! PC shutting down under load.

Mahbub

When i start a game or anything which puts any stress on the GPU. The display immediately goes black and the GPU fans start to run at 100% and PC continues to run with black screen. What could be the matter?

What is the model of PSU in your system? Actually what are your system specs in general? Sounds like the PSU is either on it's way to the grave, or the PSU (or your motherboard) is falsely triggering over current protection and shutting down.

I'd shoot some compressed air in the powersupply because it has happened that dust buildup can cause over current protection to kick in, but I'd say it's more likely the PSU is simply failing.

- Personal Rig -

AMD 7950X3D / 64GB G.SKILL DDR5-6000 EXPO / ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC
ASUS ProArt X670E / Noctua NH-D15 Corsair 4000D Airflow / Corsair RM1000x / 4 x 2TB Crucial P5 Plus

- 🪦 HW Graveyard 🪦-

MSI GTX 780 Lightning 3GB 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018
Seasonic Platinum 1000W 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018

PNY GTX 470 1280MB 🪦🫡 June 2010 - August 2017

Intel Q9550 / Q9450 Systems 🪦🫡 Q1-2008 - Q3-2016
- Desktop Audio Equipment -
ADAM Audio F7's | Topping D30 Pro | Topping A30 Pro | HD598 & HD6XX w/ Sheepskin Pads

Could you list all your PC specs please, and most importantly, make model AND wattage (all three please) of your power supply?

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

3 minutes ago, SpiralTTGL said:

sounds like a power supply issue not supplying enough

did this start happening recently?

Yes last night 

2 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Could you list all your PC specs please, and most importantly, make model AND wattage (all three please) of your power supply?

i5 8600k, gtx 1080 amp extreme, cooler master v 750

3 minutes ago, KnightSirius said:

What is the model of PSU in your system? Actually what are your system specs in general? Sounds like the PSU is either on it's way to the grave, or the PSU (or your motherboard) is falsely triggering over current protection and shutting down.

I'd shoot some compressed air in the powersupply because it has happened that dust buildup can cause over current protection to kick in, but I'd say it's more likely the PSU is simply failing.

I5 8600k, gtx 1080, coolermaster v 750. 

I've dealt with a similar issue recently and it was a Seasonic Platinum unit that failed with basically the same symptoms as you are describing, also a high quality unit so it's not unheard of.

How long have you been running the system? Do you have a spare PSU you could swap in to test?
The CM V-Series are high quality units so the warranty is 5 years if it's an issue with the PSU. However, it could also be an issue with your motherboard thinking the voltages are incorrect when they may be within an acceptable range and the motherboard shutting the system down to protect itself. Best way to check is to swap in a different PSU.

- Personal Rig -

ASUS ProArt X670E / Noctua NH-D15 Corsair 4000D Airflow / Corsair RM1000x / 4 x 2TB Crucial P5 Plus

- 🪦 HW Graveyard 🪦-

ADAM Audio F7's | Topping D30 Pro | Topping A30 Pro | HD598 & HD6XX w/ Sheepskin Pads

3 minutes ago, KnightSirius said:

I've dealt with a similar issue recently and it was a Seasonic Platinum unit that failed with basically the same symptoms as you are describing, also a high quality unit so it's not unheard of.

How long have you been running the system? Do you have a spare PSU you could swap in to test?
The CM V-Series are high quality units so the warranty is 5 years if it's an issue with the PSU. However, it could also be an issue with your motherboard thinking the voltages are incorrect when they may be within an acceptable range and the motherboard shutting the system down to protect itself. Best way to check is to swap in a different PSU.

I dont have another psu ?

7 minutes ago, Mahbub said:

I dont have another psu ?

Well you've got a few options, you can be a total dick and pick up a PSU from a local store and test with it and if it solves the problem keep it while the RMA processes and return it afterwards LOL (or just keep it). If you have any buddies with extra hardware laying around they may let you borrow a PSU to test/wait out the RMA if it turns out to be the PSU. Taking it to a Electronics retailer like MemoryExpress (if they offer repairs) they would be able to swap in a new PSU and help you diagnose the problem, will likely cost you as well unless they take pity on you ?.

Otherwise, you'll have to contact CoolerMaster and let them know of the issue you're having and start an RMA without knowing 100% if it is the issue or not. Which could result in you just wasting a few weeks waiting on it (bad time of year too with the Holidays) only to have them test the unit and find out it wasn't an issue... so bit of a risk there.

It's highly likely it is the PSU though, but there is still the risk of it not being that. Eliminating that unknown is the best course of action before starting an RMA.

- Personal Rig -

- 🪦 HW Graveyard 🪦-

12 minutes ago, KnightSirius said:

Well you've got a few options, you can be a total dick and pick up a PSU from a local store and test with it and if it solves the problem keep it while the RMA processes and return it afterwards LOL (or just keep it). If you have any buddies with extra hardware laying around they may let you borrow a PSU to test/wait out the RMA if it turns out to be the PSU. Taking it to a Electronics retailer like MemoryExpress (if they offer repairs) they would be able to swap in a new PSU and help you diagnose the problem, will likely cost you as well unless they take pity on you ?.

Otherwise, you'll have to contact CoolerMaster and let them know of the issue you're having and start an RMA without knowing 100% if it is the issue or not. Which could result in you just wasting a few weeks waiting on it (bad time of year too with the Holidays) only to have them test the unit and find out it wasn't an issue... so bit of a risk there.

It's highly likely it is the PSU though, but there is still the risk of it not being that. Eliminating that unknown is the best course of action before starting an RMA.

Okk i dusted the oc with my blower amd now its working fine. Stress test going on for 3 or 4 mins now. Can i be safe?

39 minutes ago, Birrin said:

When did you clean it last?

Dusted the pc now seems to run totally fine i have put furmark stress n its going fine for 5 mins now

2 minutes ago, Mahbub said:

Okk i dusted the oc with my blower amd now its working fine. Stress test going on for 3 or 4 mins now. Can i be safe?

You could be safe, I'd personally let the test go for 30 minutes or so. My personal test is P95 (Pre-AVX) with FurMark for max power draw. But if it was shutting off immediately before and isn't now then you're probably good. It has happened before that dust build up causes over current protection to kick in, you're lucky if that's the case!

- Personal Rig -

- 🪦 HW Graveyard 🪦-

1 minute ago, KnightSirius said:

You could be safe, I'd personally let the test go for 30 minutes or so. My personal test is P95 (Pre-AVX) with FurMark for max power draw. But if it was shutting off immediately before and isn't now then you're probably good. It has happened before that dust build up causes over current protection to kick in, you're lucky if that's the case!

Thats i think the case. Its running for like 5 mins now. I have put 8x msaa and the highest resolution on d list and itsbrunning fine now 

Just now, Mahbub said:

Thats i think the case. Its running for like 5 mins now. I have put 8x msaa and the highest resolution on d list and itsbrunning fine now 

Finger crossed you're good to go! ?

- Personal Rig -

- 🪦 HW Graveyard 🪦-

48 minutes ago, KnightSirius said:

Finger crossed you're good to go! ?

Naah still issue happening. I have a second psu. But that has 8 and 6 pin while my 1080 has 2 8 pins is it safe to test with that second psu?

10 hours ago, Mahbub said:

Naah still issue happening. I have a second psu. But that has 8 and 6 pin while my 1080 has 2 8 pins is it safe to test with that second psu?

Well that sucks, as for testing it with that PSU.... I can't confidently say it'd be fine to test with an 8+6 so I'd say no unless you have an adapter for 6Pin to 8Pin, but perhaps somebody else knows better. Worst case if you want to test you could go pull out the card and test just the CPU but that's not a very helpful test because it's ignoring a huge component. I'd try to get a 6 to 8 Pin adapter, they should be pretty cheap when compared to getting a whole new PSU for testing.

- Personal Rig -

- 🪦 HW Graveyard 🪦-