What are these partitions?

junzhi2002

I am currently using a Toshiba SSHD 1TB but when I wanted to clone the drive to my SSD I found out these weird partitions... What are these partitions and what they do? Do I need to copy them to my SSD to let me boot from it?

image.png

I believe the first 2 partitions are standard on any drive. The other 2 partitions (ones with question marks in your pic) are probably the cache partitions in your drive, since it's a SSHD. 

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

20 minutes ago, Airdragonz said:

I believe the first 2 partitions are standard on any drive. The other 2 partitions (ones with question marks in your pic) are probably the cache partitions in your drive, since it's a SSHD. 

Hmmm...... My page file size indeed is 10GB

19 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Yes, you need to copy them. They're part of the recovery system.

I did, but I want to ensure what I did is correct

Edited by junzhi2002
LOL typo

31 minutes ago, Airdragonz said:

thats not how a sshd works, the cache is hidden from the user, and its used like a normal drive.

Is this from a laptop or prebuilt system? Its probably the recovery software from the manafacture.

14 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

thats not how a sshd works, the cache is hidden from the user, and its used like a normal drive.

Is this from a laptop or prebuilt system? Its probably the recovery software from the manafacture.

Dell Inspiron 15 7559 Core i5

Just now, junzhi2002 said:

Dell Inspiron 15 7559 Core i5

Then thats just the dell recovery partitions. You can delete them if you want, but they let you restore the the orginally install image if you want to.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Then thats just the dell recovery partitions. You can delete them if you want, but they let you restore the the orginally install image if you want to.

The 10GB partition?

How about the 450MB partition?

Just now, junzhi2002 said:

The 10GB partition?

Looks like the boot partition for revcovery, they work together. 

1 minute ago, junzhi2002 said:

The 10GB partition?

They are both recovery partitions. They work together. If you want to find out more, you can mount it, but the 450mb is probably for booting into the recovery program, and the 10gb is the data.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Looks like the boot partition for revcovery, they work together. 

Then I will keep it. Since I dont know how the recovery works I will keep one copy only XDDDD

11 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can't do that these days. Windows expects those partitions to be there and it will fuck with the system later on if they aren't. I've cloned hundreds of drives, it's something I've got experience with.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

6 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

You can't do that these days. Windows expects those partitions to be there and it will fuck with the system later on if they aren't. I've cloned hundreds of drives, it's something I've got experience with.

These aren't the Microsoft partitions, these are for the dell restore, and windows doesn't know about these partitions or care that there here, each brand has their own restore program. If will work fine without it.

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

These aren't the Microsoft partitions, these are for the dell restore, and windows doesn't know about these partitions or care that there here, each brand has their own restore program. If will work fine without it.

I'm speaking from experience. And yes, it is aware of them. The OEM versions of Windows 8 and 10 can be programmed to redirect to those partitions through the Recovery menu. Back when everything used MBR instead of GPT it didn't matter if you messed with partitions. Now it's an easy way to screw up a system.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440