Disk usage stuck at 100% in task manager

TheSaltyGaming

Sorry for the bad picture but it wouldn’t let me screenshot for some reason.

So my disk usage is stuck at 100% and if you look at the picture, that makes no sense. How do I fix it?

image.jpg

Windows superfetch optimisation and defender virus scanner. When it finishes the PC should go back to normal.

Or you can turn off superfetch:

Disable from Services

1. Hold the Windows Key, while pressing “R” to bring up the Run dialog box.
  2. Type “services.msc“, then press “Enter“.
  3. The Services window displays. Find “Superfetch” in the list.
  4. Right-click “Superfetch“, then select “Properties“.
  5. Select the “Stop” button if you wish to stop the service. In the “Startup type” dropdown menu, choose “Disabled“.

4 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Windows superfetch optimisation and defender virus scanner. When it finishes the PC should go back to normal.

Or you can turn off superfetch:

I turned off superfetch but disk usage is still at 100%

Superfetch is a feature introduce since Windows Vista, which preloads part of an applications, based on your usage, before you do, so that they startup faster.

Looking at the Task Manager, which, by the way, Windows has a screenshot feature. Use it!

1. Disk usage makes perfect sense. Task Manager shows you which process consumes your disk.

2. The first item on the list says: Delivery Optimization. This is the main item that consume most of your Disk I/O. Delivery Optimization is a feature found under: Start > Settings (gear icon) > Update & Security > Delivery Optimization. On that panel it described to you what is Delivery Optimization and how it works. In short, if you have a crappy connection to Windows servers for update, computers on your network will start doing a torrent like setup for sharing updates between systems. If that doesn't help (say the needed update is not found on the network), it will go online. You can configure this on the panel with your preferences, you can also set download/upload speed limits under the Advanced Settings sections, or turn it off, at the cost of download of update speed of Windows updates and Store apps installs and updates.

3. On the second item in Task Manager, the process is "Anti malware Service Executable", this is part of Windows Defender, the Windows Build-in anti-virus and anti-malware security software which us currently doing a scan on the system.

4. "System" is the core of Windows. Usually (but, not always) strange activity is due to a or some driver. Sadly, there is no way of know which driver is causing heavy disk activity or memory leak (if any) from the Task Manager itself. And as for core of Windows, there is no way of knowing which sub component is consuming what and how much beside the overall.

That said, in this case, it looks like it because of the 2 items above it (Delivery Optimization and Anti-Malware scan) that it goes up in Disk Usage.

5. Superfetch, at this moment, is probably trying to preload your next program but just your disk is under heavy usage.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Superfetch is a feature introduce since Windows Vista, which preloads part of an applications, based on your usage, before you do, so that they startup faster.

Looking at the Task Manager, which, by the way, Windows has a screenshot feature. Use it!

1. Disk usage makes perfect sense. Task Manager shows you which process consumes your disk.

2. The first item on the list says: Delivery Optimization. This is the main item that consume most of your Disk I/O. Delivery Optimization is a feature found under: Start > Settings (gear icon) > Update & Security > Delivery Optimization. On that panel it described to you what is Delivery Optimization and how it works. In short, if you have a crappy connection to Windows servers for update, computers on your network will start doing a torrent like setup for sharing updates between systems. If that doesn't help (say the needed update is not found on the network), it will go online. You can configure this on the panel with your preferences, you can also set download/upload speed limits under the Advanced Settings sections, or turn it off, at the cost of download of update speed of Windows updates and Store apps installs and updates.

3. On the second item in Task Manager, the process is "Anti malware Service Executable", this is part of Windows Defender, the Windows Build-in anti-virus and anti-malware security software which us currently doing a scan on the system.

4. "System" is the core of Windows. Usually (but, not always) strange activity is due to a or some driver. Sadly, there is no way of know which driver is causing heavy disk activity or memory leak (if any) from the Task Manager itself. And as for core of Windows, there is no way of knowing which sub component is consuming what and how much beside the overall.

That said, in this case, it looks like it because of the 2 items above it (Delivery Optimization and Anti-Malware scan) that it goes up in Disk Usage.

5. Superfetch, at this moment, is probably trying to preload your next program but just your disk is under heavy usage.

Ah thanks, my error. I was trying to translate that list to english, and only got the superfetch return, not the Torrent like Delivery Optimization option (which is the task I meant to turn off if not helping the PC).

On 12/15/2018 at 3:06 PM, GoodBytes said:

Thanks for the reply, but I have noticed that even though the disk is at 100%, some applications are starting to use more than before and sometimes they use less while the disk is at 100%, and I am. Not noticing an increase in any other programs when the main ones start to use less. How is this possible?