Changed from HDD to SSD now cant back-up :(

JoshWing

Hello All

Ive just upgrades my boot drive from a WD Blue 640GB to a Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

Before doing this I did back ups to my 320GB of the OS Fine no problems but now ive upgraded its telling me there is not enough space but both drives are both practically empty.

Im getting a Window Back up error message off "There is not enough disk space to create  the shadow copy on the storage location (0x80780119)

Any help would be great 

Josh

post-53416-0-79309100-1389456185.jpg

- Intel i5-4690K (OC@4.5GHz) - Be Quiet Dark Rock 2 - MSI Gaming 5 Z97 - Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866Mhz (High profile) - MSI Afterburner HD 7850 2GB (OC) -

- Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - WD Blue 1TB - Corsair CX 600W - Fractal Define R4 -

• 1 month later...

Cheers for the help Guys....  :angry:

- Intel i5-4690K (OC@4.5GHz) - Be Quiet Dark Rock 2 - MSI Gaming 5 Z97 - Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866Mhz (High profile) - MSI Afterburner HD 7850 2GB (OC) -

It is trying to clone 320GB onto a 120GB SSD. 

That is what a shadow copy will try to do even if the data is blank.

Cheers for the help Guys....  :angry:

no problem and exactly what @Priller said

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

Are you getting this problem when you point the backup to your 640gb drive?

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

wait you are trying to install the backup of the hdd to the ssd? that the wrong way.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

:lol: Windows 7  64 bit:  Boot your computer to the SSD. Okey dokey; now I do  believe I know what your problems is.......the hidden data partition.. which usually on ssd is 100MB does not have enough free space.  To see this partition go to (windows 7) *manage computer.  Click on disk management once you get into computer management.  You will see a small partition called data...Give it a drive letter and then get out of the app.  You will now see the partition under "Computer"...So the problem is that this partition needs to be extended or made larger.  Software to do this which is free at the time of this post is "minitool partition wizard home edition"  easily downloaded from www.downloads.com.  Install it.  You may now extend the "data" partition.  i did not have to make it much bigger...about  474MB.  The Minitool works great.  It will be in your windows menu as well.  You simply click on the small data partition that is on your SSD, and you are going to extend it by using free disk space from the main system partition (within the Minitool software).  So say your SSD is 120GB, the DATA partition will use about 1/2 a gig reducing the ssd main partition to 119.5 approximately.  The MInitool has a check mark in upper left hand corner after you are done telling it to extend the smaller data part.....after clicking it to finish the operation it will   tell you it needs to restart the computer and it will then fiinish the operation within a few minutes in a quasi dos looking screen.   You then are ready to boot the machine back into windows 7 64 bit and create your windows image to an external drive like normal WITHOUT that error message....Ta daaaa.

This worked for me on my p55 evga I7 machine which is about 5 years old already.  I was also able to RESTORE the image which took about an hour to see if it would work.  Will this work for everyone?  I don't know but its worth a try.   This operation did not mess up my machine.   Remember to back up all data anyway, when its time to restore.    

IMPORTANT:  the smaller "DATA" partition is vital in booting windows 7.  If the data in it is compromised windows will not boot.  Data is hidden in it but I assure you its there.

I hope this solves your problem..........Good Luck!!!   :rolleyes:

* to do this right click on "Computer" in your menu and left click on manage

As per the above I am sure this will also work with 32 bit versions of Windows 7.  Probably work with Vista as well.  And you do NOT have to worry about telling the software (Minitool) what version to use (32 or 64bit).

Just so you all understand how i have my PC setup

I have my primary boot drive which is the Samsung 840 EVO 120GSamsung 840 EVO 120GB (SSD). My secondary is my WD Blue 640GB (HDD) which i save all my stuff to music games pictures etc etc

I also have a spare 320GB (HDD) portable drive which i want to use to back up my Primary Drive (Samsung 840 EVO 120GB (SSD)) 

This is where the backup problem occurs. I Have tried the Mini tools Program to make my boot partition on my Primary Drive bigger to see if that's the problem and i have fell at the first hurdle. I get the following error message when i try to make the boot partition bigger is as follows. I believe this to be because the drive is in use and it wont allow it 

post-53416-0-73155800-1394988685_thumb.j

• 7 months later...

Lol Simple Fix as i was going through all the checks again.

Turns out the Windows Back Up service wasn't running...

Self Confessed NOOB!!! 

k then xD

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro.