Graphics card died and I need a laptop: too late to buy one?

Hey guys,

So as you can tell, I don't post but I do read a lot. I've got a question that's bugging me and was wondering if the LTT community can help out.

Here's some background:

• I've been looking for a laptop for about 8 months for personal use, but never pulled the plug since my home PC was more than capable and mobility wasn't really a problem for me
  • Recently however I got a new job and as a consultant I need a laptop- my company was more than willing to buy me a Macbook pro but yeugh (also, I really hate "work" laptops; they always end up neglected and when you don't feel personal ownership over something you're never going to feel comfortable using it for anything other than "work-mandated" tasks) - also, I develop indie games as a hobby and Macbooks... well, they're macbooks and I code in at least 120hz so they really aren't an option for me at this point (no I don't tie my code to frames but I still want to test it on high fps)- neither is any sub 120hz display laptop an option to me. The good news is, the laptop isn't mandatory for work just yet although it will become so in February/March.
  • My graphics card (Asus 1080ti OC) just died on me and as a serious gamer this is a problem for me. The fans never sped up during high load on its auto setting and the card burned out- let it be a lesson to always keep track of your temps and fans. You might judge me for this, go ahead, but the case's fans are really loud so it always sounds like it's on load; and, being an ordinary consumer, I assume the software works (I don't know about you but during an intense load I don't crawl underneath my desk to check my fans are spinning up)? Luckily, it's being covered by the warranty that it still has 2 years on. However, it's going to take until the end of January to get a new one or at least store credit to its value since 1080tis are pretty much non-existent now.

So I was thinking I'd just bite the bullet and get the Gigabyte Aero 15X. It's got a 1070 max q which should cover gaming at least until end of January when my desktop is back in action, it's enough of a workhorse (plus, it doesn't have RaD GaMiNg DrAAagunZ all over it; not that the GS65 isn't an option- that's subdued enough), has good battery life, an alright display and a fine keyboard and since I'll be traveling for work a lot in 2019 it's a good way to be able to game when I'm away from home.

My questions to you guys: 

1. Should I buy a new RTX graphics card now and claim it back later, waiting on the laptop; or
  2. Should I buy a new laptop now and wait on the graphics card? 
  3. Are there any developments in laptops that I should know about? New models that are rumoured for instance?

Honestly would appreciate any help, any opinions, anything. I'm out of ideas. Thanks in advance guys and gals. 

7 minutes ago, Gratian said:

Hey guys,

So as you can tell, I don't post but I do read a lot. I've got a question that's bugging me and was wondering if the LTT community can help out.

Here's some background:

• I've been looking for a laptop for about 8 months for personal use, but never pulled the plug since my home PC was more than capable and mobility wasn't really a problem for me
  • Recently however I got a new job and as a consultant I need a laptop- my company was more than willing to buy me a Macbook pro but yeugh (also, I really hate "work" laptops; they always end up neglected and when you don't feel personal ownership over something you're never going to feel comfortable using it for anything other than "work-mandated" tasks) - also, I develop indie games as a hobby and Macbooks... well, they're macbooks and I code in at least 120hz so they really aren't an option for me at this point (no I don't tie my code to frames but I still want to test it on high fps)- neither is any sub 120hz display laptop an option to me. The good news is, the laptop isn't mandatory for work just yet although it will become so in February/March.
  • My graphics card (Asus 1080ti OC) just died on me and as a serious gamer this is a problem for me. The fans never sped up during high load on its auto setting and the card burned out- let it be a lesson to always keep track of your temps and fans. You might judge me for this, go ahead, but the case's fans are really loud so it always sounds like it's on load; and, being an ordinary consumer, I assume the software works (I don't know about you but during an intense load I don't crawl underneath my desk to check my fans are spinning up)? Luckily, it's being covered by the warranty that it still has 2 years on. However, it's going to take until the end of January to get a new one or at least store credit to its value since 1080tis are pretty much non-existent now.

So I was thinking I'd just bite the bullet and get the Gigabyte Aero 15X. It's got a 1070 max q which should cover gaming at least until end of January when my desktop is back in action, it's enough of a workhorse (plus, it doesn't have RaD GaMiNg DrAAagunZ all over it; not that the GS65 isn't an option- that's subdued enough), has good battery life, an alright display and a fine keyboard and since I'll be traveling for work a lot in 2019 it's a good way to be able to game when I'm away from home.

My questions to you guys: 

1. Should I buy a new RTX graphics card now and claim it back later, waiting on the laptop; or
  2. Should I buy a new laptop now and wait on the graphics card? 
  3. Are there any developments in laptops that I should know about? New models that are rumoured for instance?

Honestly would appreciate any help, any opinions, anything. I'm out of ideas. Thanks in advance guys and gals. 

2 questions

1 what State (or County) are you from?

2 do you like amd or intel

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly they may just give you a 2080 if they can't find a 1080ti replacement. 

if I'm not wrong, don't the 2080s still have issues?

(tell me if im wrong please)

1 minute ago, Nolanrulesroblox said:

if I'm not wrong, don't the 2080s still have issues?

(tell me if im wrong please)

None of them really had issues. There were just some cards that were faulty just like any other launch. 

23 minutes ago, Nolanrulesroblox said:

2 questions

1 what State (or County) are you from?

2 do you like amd or intel

1. South Africa

2. Intel

19 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly they may just give you a 2080 if they can't find a 1080ti replacement. 

I am aware of this. I am hoping they will give me a 2080 to be honest, but it still doesn't really help the time issue :( 

24 minutes ago, Gratian said:

1. South Africa

2. Intel

I am aware of this. I am hoping they will give me a 2080 to be honest, but it still doesn't really help the time issue :( 

Yeah that is always a problem with warranties. It's one of the reasons I usually buy stuff from microcenter and get a protection plan. 

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yeah that is always a problem with warranties. It's one of the reasons I usually buy stuff from microcenter and get a protection plan. 

If only they had micro center in South Africa

Some RTX laptops are rumored for CES in January 2019 so I would wait if budget is not an issue.

I speculate that RTX cards won't come down in price too much so I think you should jump on one. Ray-tracing isn't that widely used yet but the performance boost is huge. 

IMO. Have fun.

30 minutes ago, gengyuntx said:

I speculate that RTX cards won't come down in price too much so I think you should jump on one. Ray-tracing isn't that widely used yet but the performance boost is huge. 

If I can get a 2080ti that is? So you reckon grab a gpu now and wait for the laptop. Thanks, it's at least one solid opinion so far! ?

Just now, Gratian said:

If I can get a 2080ti that is? So you reckon grab a gpu now and wait for the laptop. Thanks, it's at least one solid opinion so far! ?

Yes! And also have the company paying for a Mac should never be an option out of the window. Look for mobile version of RTX cards soon in a month. I hear MSI and Gigabyte will have their hands on them first. Asus already have a leaked benchmark result of that. Shouldn’t be a long wait at all. Google it.