DSR and DLSS

Hi P
Go to solution Solved by gbergeron,
8 minutes ago, Hi P said:

I was reading about DSR and DLSS on reddit and apparently DLSS is only available in 4K resolution, right, a couple users said to enable DSR 2.25 at 1440p to enable 4K and therefore DLSS, but I'm a bit confused by this.

1.- Doesn't DSR virtually multiply your native resolution by that factor? which would mean DSR 1.5 at 1400p would be enough for 4K? (2560 x 1.5 = 3840 --- 1440 x 1.5 = 2160)

2.- Why do most people leave DSR Smoothness in 33%?

Thank you

1- DSR does render the graphics in 4K if you use that said multiplier if you calculated it right, and then it re-render it in 1440p for your screen to be able to show the image. Keep in mind it might lower your monitor's hertz if you use DSR you might want to look at this.

2- Because it's the default smoothness and I as well think it's "okay"

I was reading about DSR and DLSS on reddit and apparently DLSS is only available in 4K resolution, right, a couple users said to enable DSR 2.25 at 1440p to enable 4K and therefore DLSS, but I'm a bit confused by this.

1.- Doesn't DSR virtually multiply your native resolution by that factor? which would mean DSR 1.5 at 1400p would be enough for 4K? (2560 x 1.5 = 3840 --- 1440 x 1.5 = 2160)

Thank you

8 minutes ago, Hi P said:

Thank you

1- DSR does render the graphics in 4K if you use that said multiplier if you calculated it right, and then it re-render it in 1440p for your screen to be able to show the image. Keep in mind it might lower your monitor's hertz if you use DSR you might want to look at this.

2- Because it's the default smoothness and I as well think it's "okay"

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

20 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

1- DSR does render the graphics in 4K if you use that said multiplier if you calculated it right, and then it re-render it in 1440p for your screen to be able to show the image.

I see, so does DSR fake that resolution on any game? or is it an "exclusive" like DLSS?

2 hours ago, Hi P said:

I see, so does DSR fake that resolution on any game? or is it an "exclusive" like DLSS?

I believe that is correct. 

I tested this on my 4k monitor last night at 4k. I tossed everything to high including the Nvidia works. I get 45-55fps on average without DLS. With DLS I am seeing 60fps-75ps. The image quality holds up. Its not as clean as pure 4k but its close. With the increase in FPS, its legit. 

Basically, DLSS is a superior form of checkerboard rendering. It allows GPU's at 4k or 1440p(in the future), to gain FPS by using the tensor cores instead of normal rasteraztion. 

| Ryzen R9 3900x Enermax LIQTECH II 360  | Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero| Nivida FE RTX 2080 Ti | Corsair Vengeance 16gb @3200MHZ | Crucial 500 GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue SSD| Corsair HX 750w  Platinum+ |Corsair Carbide Spec-Omega| Gigabyte Arous 27QD 1440p 144hz

2 hours ago, SSJGodemis said:

Basically, DLSS is a superior form of checkerboard rendering. It allows GPU's at 4k or 1440p(in the future), to gain FPS by using the tensor cores instead of normal rasteraztion. 

Nice, how do you know it'll be available in 1440p? have they said anything about it?

45 minutes ago, Hi P said:

Nice, how do you know it'll be available in 1440p? have they said anything about it?

From what I understand the technology should be possible with 1440p. Unfortunately, Nvidia has been vague with all of this. 

| Ryzen R9 3900x Enermax LIQTECH II 360  | Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero| Nivida FE RTX 2080 Ti | Corsair Vengeance 16gb @3200MHZ | Crucial 500 GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue SSD| Corsair HX 750w  Platinum+ |Corsair Carbide Spec-Omega| Gigabyte Arous 27QD 1440p 144hz

• 3 years later...

I know this thread is super old but I just wanted to follow up on it because I stumbled into it as the top link in a google search for DLSS and DSR.

The reason for 2.25 multiplier instead of 1.5 is that the scaling factor is for the overall resolution, not just the horizontal resolution. (3840*2160)/(2560*1440) = 2.25

You also intuitively did the multiplication twice to show the horizontal and vertical directions. Turns out that 1.5^2 = 2.25.