Phone line to Ethernet

Zogerton

Hello,

I was wondering if there are any adapters or cables that would provide a fast ethernet connection from my phone line outlet because I have one very close to my PC but I don't have any available ethernet ports nearby my setup. If so just leave a link below or let me know if that is even a possibility/solution to my networking problem.

You can find Phone line filters and such which will split the data coming through into phone line and internet data line, but you would need a router of some sort to distribute it over ethernet...

Info should be correct unless im not in the same country as you and the standards are different there

~~~ MY RECENTLY UPDATED RIG ~~~

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700

MOBO: ASUS Prime B450M-A

GPU: ASUS RX580 Dual 8 GB

RAM: 4 x 8GB Team T-Force Vulcan 2666Mhz

Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro RGB

PSU: Silverstone 80+ Platinum 750W Fully Modular

Case: Cougar Panzer Dual Tempered Glass

Storage: Samsung 840 500GB 2.5" SSD

Storage: SanDisk 240GB 2.5" SSD

Storage: LiteON 240 GB 2.5" SSD

Storage: Toshiba 3TB 7200rpm 3.5" HDD

PC Part Picker list:

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/4bH3V6

That's not how it works.. Not sure how it is where you are but in the UK the cable goes from the phone line port thing to a splitter and then one cable goes to your landline phone while another cable goes to a router. 

At least that's how it used to be in my house before I changed ISPs. 

It's called DSL and it's not fast. 

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

4 minutes ago, Zogerton said:

Hello,

I was wondering if there are any adapters or cables that would provide a fast ethernet connection from my phone line outlet because I have one very close to my PC but I don't have any available ethernet ports nearby my setup. If so just leave a link below or let me know if that is even a possibility/solution to my networking problem.

No, but what you COULD do is use the existing phone like to pull an ethernet cable through the wall then just put ethernet ports on both ends. 

3 minutes ago, Zogerton said:

Hello,

I think you would have better luck using WiFi if the conditions work for that.  Internet via phone line went out with the dinosaurs.  It was called "dial-up".

3 minutes ago, DarkEnergy said:

It's called DSL and it's not fast. 

DSL sucks.. DOCSIS ftw! 

I used to have DSL and it barely worked. It wouldn't connect to the internet half the time.. 

7 hours ago, Zogerton said:

Hello,

No. This wont work necessarily. Many times phone lines use CAT 3 which is not capable of carrying Ethernet data. In some cases they use CAT 5e but then again you will have to do some re wiring work at the jack and make sure the other end of the line is connected directly to the router. 

Other alternative for you would be Power Line Adapters or Moca adapters. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

DSL is a decent technology if used properly. We have many customers using VDSL and getting 100mb internet without issues. We also have some G.Fast getting 600-700mb. Granted these are over relatively short distances,  but we built our network in such a way that our loop lengths are on the shorter side for the most part. Even our straight DSL customers are getting 30x5mb up to about 16000ft. Now to address the original post using some point to point VDSL units you could get decent speed to that jack. You would need to make sure you bypass any splits on the phone line. The other option would maybe be ethernet over powerline although your mileage may very.

11 hours ago, corrado33 said:

No, but what you COULD do is use the existing phone like to pull an ethernet cable through the wall then just put ethernet ports on both ends. 

These are typically stapled to the studs and punched down at the dmarc...

52 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

These are typically stapled to the studs and punched down at the dmarc...

Oh... I thought they were just run through holes drilled in the studs like the power wires are... and/or run through a conduit? 

Also it seems stapeling phone lines/ethernet cables to studs is a hot topic and a lot of people have very opinionated views. 

20 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Oh... I thought they were just run through holes drilled in the studs like the power wires are... and/or run through a conduit? 

Also it seems stapeling phone lines/ethernet cables to studs is a hot topic and a lot of people have very opinionated views. 

<< SNIPP >>

Phone lines not a big deal, but it's terrible for ethernet. They do travel through holes, but then as they feed downward to the cutouts they get stapled.

Even if the staples were "insulated" they pinch the cables way too hard, can mess with signal quality. There's a reason why the high up you go in categories they more separation there is between pairs.

19 hours ago, 1kv said:

DSL sucks.. DOCSIS ftw! 

I used to have DSL and it barely worked. It wouldn't connect to the internet half the time.. 

Over short distances VDSL is absolutely fine (plus there's G.FAST now) and less contended than DOCSIS.  I always get my full upload rate as its not sharing with everyone else on the street like DOCSIS.

In the house though, you can get VDSL transcievers for point to point over telephone cabling, but they aren't common (so not cheap) and you'd have to disconnect the phone line so its ONLY running between the those two points, or it would go back down the phone line causing havok for the telco and your phone service.

Also as it only handles 100Mbit, I'd be looking at every other option such as Powerline before even considering it.  Its more intended for really long links that would otherwise need fibre or repeaters.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

6 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Over short distances VDSL is absolutely fine (plus there's G.FAST now) and less contended than DOCSIS.  I always get my full upload rate as its not sharing with everyone else on the street like DOCSIS.

In the house though, you can get VDSL transcievers for point to point over telephone cabling, but they aren't common (so not cheap) and you'd have to disconnect the phone line so its ONLY running between the those two points, or it would go back down the phone line causing havok for the telco and your phone service.

Also as it only handles 100Mbit, I'd be looking at every other option such as Powerline before even considering it.  Its more intended for really long links that would otherwise need fibre or repeaters.

The main problem (for me at least) is how far away you are from the exchange. I'm in Wales so DSL is just horrible and the exchange is far away from everything. Even in the big cities it works horribly. DOCSIS is infinitely better from my experience. 

5 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I always get my full upload rate as its not sharing with everyone else on the street like DOCSIS.

Depends on how the DSL is setup. AT&T is know for using remote cabinets called VRAD's in the neighborhoods. ALl the copper goes in to those and Fiber goes back to the CO. Which is pretty much the same way the cable companies have been doing it with Docsis. 

6 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Over short distances VDSL

Thats the issue, it has to be short. Cable Co's dont have that kind of distance limitation. Hell my cable co can provide me with Gigabit if I choose to order the package. When DSL was offered to my address AT&T couldnt do more than 6Mbps. DSL at least in the US is pretty much a dead technology. 

Just now, 1kv said:

The main problem is how far away you are from the exchange. I'm in Wales so DSL is just horrible and the exchange is far away from everything. Even in the big cities it works horribly. DOCSIS is infinitely better from my experience. 

You are thinking of old ADSL, VDSL/G.FAST put cabinets on your street, just like DOCSIS.  However as it still uses your existing phone line you get dedicated bandwidth to your house, not shared like DOCSIS.

Its still shared at the fibre link in the cabinet but that's potentially MUCH bigger than the bandwidth you share over DOCSIS so unusual to get contended on uptream like DOCSIS does.

That's the down side with DOCSIS, the fibre at the cabinet might have spare capacity but that's moot if your particular street is heavily contended on the coax part.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Thats the issue, it has to be short. Cable Co's dont have that kind of distance limitation. Hell my cable co can provide me with Gigabit if I choose to order the package. When DSL was offered to my address AT&T couldnt do more than 6Mbps. DSL at least in the US is pretty much a dead technology. 

I believe they do have the same limitations, the difference is that for a cable company to provide even a TV service then they HAVE to already have a cabinet and laid cable in range of your house.  There is no discrepency with cable, it either works or it doesn't, whereas DSL just degrades over distance because there is no requirement to broadcast TV channels down it so it doesn't matter if certain frequencies no longer function after a certain distance.

I know someone in the US who wanted cable, it went past his drive, but they refused to run the cable up the long drive way even if he paid.  Its possible his drive was just too long to provide service.

There is a cable cabinet about 100m from my VDSL cabinet, but they never wired my end of the street for cable.  DSL it was a simple matter of wiring a cabinet up to the existing cabinet the telephone lines are in, enabling everyone on that cabinet to get service.

5 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

You are thinking of old ADSL, VDSL/G.FAST put cabinets on your street, just like DOCSIS.  However as it still uses your existing phone line you get dedicated bandwidth to your house, not shared like DOCSIS.

Its still shared at the fibre link in the cabinet but that's potentially MUCH bigger than the bandwidth you share over DOCSIS so unusual to get contended on uptream like DOCSIS does.

That's the down side with DOCSIS, the fibre at the cabinet might have spare capacity but that's moot if your particular street is heavily contended on the coax part.

ADSL was exactly what I was talking about. But yeah, VDSL is better. I just prefer DOCSIS more as its capable of higher speeds. DSL is generally useless over distances though, unless you have a street cabinet to provide your connection it just can't really get to the same standard as DOCSIS. Again I'm talking from my own experiences so it might not be 100% correct. 

6 minutes ago, 1kv said:

ADSL was exactly what I was talking about. But yeah, VDSL is better. I just prefer DOCSIS more as its capable of higher speeds. DSL is generally useless over distances though, unless you have a street cabinet to provide your connection it just can't really get to the same standard as DOCSIS. Again I'm talking from my own experiences so it might not be 100% correct. 

No argument from me, I've lost 10Mbit of speed over the past five years due to more people upgrading to VDSL and the crosstalk that has caused.

On the other hand I'm fortunate in that I'm close enough that G.FAST should work really well for me, but I doubt they will roll it out as it means adding another cabinet and not being in an affluent area I don't think the take up would recoup their costs.

The simple fact is that cable have more motivation to upgrade their equipment as it ties into all the other services they offer.  The telco have little motivation as they were only allowed to offer TV relatively late, and people were already moving to on-demand/streaming by that point.

9 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I know someone in the US who wanted cable, it went past his drive, but they refused to run the cable up the long drive way even if he paid.  Its possible his drive was just too long to provide service.

Most likely the cable plant design require them to run fiber and a new node. If thats the case then its not worth it for the cable co to run a wire. Each node has a limited number of customers it can do, I think Comcast currently has each node capped at about 130 people. Plus even if the cable co would have ran the wire, I dont think your buddy would want to pay $50,000 for cable. Because thats the going rate if your too far, you generally pay for ever foot of wire, and any equipment they are required to install, be it a fiber node, amp's, ect. Ive seen many people get quoted $50k and are sticker shocked because they were only expecting a few hundred at most. 

11 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I believe they do have the same limitations

The limitations are not as shit as DSL however. And with each iteration of Docsis the cable co's have push fiber deeper and deeper in to their network, meaning the Fiber is not far from many customers homes. On top of the fact they have things called AMP's that can push the signal out further. 

Also there is the other issue. The phone companies in the US have let the wires rot on the poles. So in many cases, the distance limitations are a lot worse. Companies like AT&T lie to customers telling them there are no ports open for new service, even though there are. Just because they no longer want to deal with DSL. While the rest of the world might be fine with DSL, its pretty much legally dead in the US for the most part. The big teleco's want no part in it any more. The push now is Fiber, Docsis, and 4G/5G services. 

Not that anyone WANTS to be stuck with DSL. ;)  But I'm certainly glad I can get VDSL and not stuck on ADSL.

The other issue in the US is cable companies are often locked into counties, so if the county ends 1 house over - you could have an entirely different provider. I had a friend whose land straddled 3 counties, but in such a way that none of the cable providers could easily make a run to his garage. He ended up with (vomits in mouth) satellite/hughes internet. Though there is a microwave ISP / WISP he may be able to use within the next year or so.

Not being familiar with VDSL, how is your upload @Alex Atkin UK ? Because our cable upload is so badly lopsided here in the U.S. barely enough for the ACK responses needed for download.

I have 80/20 (real world 66/18), cable is still lopsided over here as my friend has 150/10.