Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Unknown Program with chinese characters preventing shutdown occasionally

Hi, 

For a year or so I've had a program very occasionally prevent the windows shutdown, today I finally managed to get a picture - albeit a bad one 1009798312_chinesecharactersshutdown.thumb.jpg.27346f2471cabf218dc5ded5d856ddaf.jpg

It's two presumably chinese characters and then a D. 

Whatever it is, it survived multiple complete system wipes (or came back after) & has not been picked up by numerous Windows Defender, Malwarebytes, and G-Data scans, so I'm not sure it's something bad. The only vaguely related thing I could find mentioned is this https://www.urtech.ca/2016/01/solved-a-program-with-chinese-characters-app-is-preventing-you-from-signing-out/, but that's significantly more characters than what I have. It doesn't prevent shutdown every time, just randomly happens at best once a month or so, hence the difficulty in getting pictures. Anyone have any clue what it could be?

go to your installed software list and uninstall it.. idk what it is but it probably is not good

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

2 minutes ago, Bunnyapocalips said:

it survived multiple complete system wipes

the system wasn't wiped if it still existed after

I think you have a virus bro. Scan it with Malwarebytes, HitmanPro, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, and Zemana to see if it detects anything

I can’t read that. It’s too blurry.

find it in task manager, locate it and end task and delete it.

11 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

go to your installed software list and uninstall it.. idk what it is but it probably is not good

It's sadly not in my installed programs list, or autostart, or anywhere else, or this would be significantly easier.

10 minutes ago, MojangYang said:

I can’t read that. It’s too blurry.

find it in task manager, locate it and end task and delete it.

Nor does it show up in the task manager, be it processes, details, app history, or start-up.

11 minutes ago, emosun said:

the system wasn't wiped if it still existed after

That's why I'm saying it came back. I'm reasonably certain that it's part of an actual program, so mangled Unicode like in the article I linked, I just can't figure out which one.

EDIT to elaborate: The system has been completely wiped from scratch total windows reinstall everything empty a few times, mostly due to unrelated reasons, so I'm reasonably certain that it is part of one of the actual programs that I re-install afterward. 

11 minutes ago, Speed Weed said:

I think you have a virus bro. Scan it with Malwarebytes, HitmanPro, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, and Zemana to see if it detects anything

Lots of Malwarebytes (and more) scans haven't found anything, gonna poke with the other things to be sure. 

Edited by Bunnyapocalips

6 minutes ago, Bunnyapocalips said:

It's sadly not in my installed programs list, or autostart, or anywhere else, or this would be significantly easier.

Nor does it show up in the task manager, be it processes, details, app history, or start-up.

That's why I'm saying it came back. I'm reasonably certain that it's part of an actual program, so mangled Unicode like in the article I linked, I just can't figure out which one.

EDIT to elaborate: The system has been completely wiped from scratch total windows reinstall everything empty a few times, mostly due to unrelated reasons, so I'm reasonably certain that it is part of one of the actual programs that I re-install afterward. 

Lots of Malwarebytes (and more) scans haven't found anything, gonna poke with the other things to be sure. 

Do you remember where do you get this program? 

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

is the app not running before the shutdown?

Not in any way that I can recognize at least. There's no program installed that is chinese, to my knowledge, and there's nothing in the task manager that is chinese. 

Just now, Speed Weed said:

Do you remember where do you get this program? 

I didn't get it at all, it's not a program that I recognize as ever having been installed or run on here, what with me not speaking chinese. I'm reasonably sure that it's a background task of some other program running with a name that I don't recognize, and especially the mix of chinese characters + D makes me think that it's mangled unicode of some kind.

HitmanPro also comes back clean, though it did kill a good number of ad-tracking cookies that I somehow missed before. Neat.

EDIT 1: So does the Emsisoft Emergency Kit.

Edited by Bunnyapocalips

Everyone's assuming this is a virus or that you didn't truly wipe your system but I have a simpler theory.  It's probably a companion application for either a program you installed, or a driver for certain hardware that you've had for so long and used to regularly it doesn't even cross your mind anymore, but that's why it's not showing up as a virus and why it's still there after reinstalling - it came back after you installed it yourself or windows did automatically.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Everyone's assuming this is a virus or that you didn't truly wipe your system but I have a simpler theory.  It's probably a companion application for either a program you installed, or a driver for certain hardware that you've had for so long and used to regularly it doesn't even cross your mind anymore, but that's why it's not showing up as a virus and why it's still there after reinstalling - it came back after you installed it yourself or windows did automatically.

Yeah, pretty sure this is the right explanation. Main thing I'm interested in is if anyone just so happens to recognize what it could possibly belong to. Given that it doesn't prevent shutdown more than once in a blue moon, or even show up in an easily recognisable way (read: chinese) in the task manager, I'm pretty sure that it's some random process that occasionally hangs up during shutdown. Just hoping that through sheer dumb luck someone recognizes what it is actually supposed to be.

• 1 month later...

Download and run HijackThis, then post the log file here if you have trouble identifying what should be disabled.