Why does low core Skylake exist

Swes

Fair enough X299 has a lot of good CPUs but 7800x is basically the speed of a 2nd gen Ryzen 5 chip . Unless you are planning on going uber crazy to the 14 core later and really want to maintain that frequency domination right now I don’t see why go to the 7800x unless you plan on upgrading soon in which case why not just buy the high end chip to begin with . For what you described I would have gone Taichi with a Ryzen 2600 waited out for the rumored 10/12 core 3rd gen all for the price of just the 7800x chip no MB or do a TR build build with a monster 12/16 core right now and be done with it . 

X299 is good for when you need those weird little things pros have like 10gbit or other professional features but why why do you need that but then only need a 6 core. You can just add a 10gbit card ! Let it go through the chipset ! It’ll be fine ! IMO X299 Refresh shouldn’t have even had the 8 core now that we have the 9900k . AMD realized this already with the x900X series going away with a minimum 12 core for TR4.

I just see a lot of people fall into the upgrade trap that lots of enthusiasts preach , it’s a half truth since you can upgrade it’s just that a lot of the time it doesn’t make sense to do partial upgrades . I think cases, PSUs , coolers, peripherals last much longer and that’s what people should focus on not what chipset or CPU or GPU they have . Since those need to usually go together unless you come in on the ground floor of a chipset you might be able to justify an upgrade. I would consider telling a 1st gen Ryzen 1700x owner to swap for the 3rd gen but coming into X299 now with a 7800x with the intention of upgrading is a little awkward since we just don’t know if intel will support it for “10th” gen.

At best I see low core skylake as a betting game for someone that wants a machine NOW but thinks 1000-1200 for a 12/14 core is stupid and think they’ll halve in price within a few months . Which I currently have doubts about.

What do other people think? Whose buying the 6-8 core skylake chips? Am I just a hater or something ? Let me know.

If you want cores, you should build a Ryzen or TR system. Intel got blindsided and is paying the price for being complacent. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Sure enough, but I still see those CPUs showing up in builds and the price of a ryzen 2600 (the 7800x) on x299 is still $400 . Its just madness to me. I can argue for 9700k/9900k or high core sky-lake to some degree but in this case they flat out don't make sense. Its fine to say cores AMD GHz Intel to some degree but we already saw kabylake-X bite the dust why we haven't seen at least the 7800x as well is beyond me. I'm just trying to figure out if theres some magic feature in X299 people are after?

Upgradeablity, mabye you dont have 2k rn to buy an 18c, buy in 1-2 years you might, PCIe, 28 > 16 and allows for 3 way sli and more sata/m.2,

also some AVX instructions, but overall, they are not good value. honestly, the 7820X isnt that bad. ppl were paying 1k for the 3960x for 6c.

Also quad channel ram so 128gb total ram and 2x memory bandwidth.

35 minutes ago, Swes said:

t 7800x is basically the speed of a 2nd gen Ryzen 5 chip .

But you have many more pcie lanes and ram capacity. And not everything will work well on amd systems. Its a small market.

Because Skylake X parts are just binned Skylake W (previously Xeon E5) part with some features (ECC, high frequency DDR4, etc.) disabled and better tuned for higher boost clock. It exists because some chip does not make the cut for server part, so they are salvaged for high end consumer "enthusiast" parts.

The low core count Skylake X are pointless. Compare to their server counter parts, they are just worse in every aspect, except one thing: price.

They are specifically made to appease to the "enthusiast" while also trying not to cannibalize their Xeon sales. So the end product is really niche and is threatened by Xeon, Ryzen and later, their own Coffee Lake S.

Intel kinda screwed up their entire lineup since the launch of Coffee Lake.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

1. But you can have 64 GB . Idk what crazy use case warrants 128GB non ECC on a 6 core chip.
  2. The chipset isnt a total pile of crap it does work for handling high speed connectivity or SSDs and as far as I can reason the lanes for GPU's arent worth the loss in clock speed plus 3x SLI is dead and on top of that 28 isnt enough for 16x +16x
  3. I touched on why I think upgrading is a bad idea especially within a single gen. You'd be off better of building a ryzen system then waiting and building the X299 system later as far as I've been able to work out. 

I'm glad for the info and ideas, honestly the more I think about it I almost think the 7740x (which also doesn't make sense) made more sense than the 7800x and especially so if it got the 4 channel and 32 Pcie lanes too it would have been the extreme OC hand me down CPU for creators to pass down after they did the upgrade ( which i would do now if I was going to upgrade not 1-2 years from now when 3rd gen TR is as fast or close to sky-lake now) Basically the one thing I can say with certainty is that Intel missed the mark, the 7800X barely made sense when it came out just before coffee lake and should have been killed off with Kaby lake. Hoping anyone considering that CPU can stumble on this thread and realize not to buy it at this point.

I can forgive intel for the 7800X to some degree since this is pre-coffee lake so we cant look at it without some context but the 9800X!!!!!! WHYYYYYYYYYY its a $600 dollar slower 8700k !!!