Large televisions vs. Small Monitors

averyherb

I recently got into an argument with my roommates about the size of monitors. Basically my roommates believe that the larger the television or monitor you have there will be more of a delay between your controller and the image you see, because there is more screen I guess so it will take longer to fill the screen? Their argument to back this up was that this is why professional gamers use smaller monitors. I don't believe this at all and if there even is some sort of delay related to the size of a screen there is no way we could see it. Just wondering if anyone has some cold hard facts to say whether I'm right or wrong.

The reason pro gamers use "smaller monitors" is because the refresh rate is extremely high. On a television it's really low. It doesn't have anything to do with lag or delay because its bigger 

TV's do have a delay, it just depends on the Panel Type and such. The reason why they use 24" is because #1 its what they generally could afford space wise, POV its what they are use to, and 1080p 144hz+ was on 24" first, and its easier to get higher refreshes on smaller monitors.

The size of the display doesn't matter so much as the resolution of the display. Smaller monitors tend to have lower resolutions which allow for higher refresh rates because of the limited bandwidth the display interface has.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The size of the display doesn't matter so much as the resolution of the display. Smaller monitors tend to have lower resolutions which allow for higher refresh rates because of the limited bandwidth the display interface has.

Basically this ^,

it's not the size that dictates the response time but the resolution/panel, large low res TV look like manky ass so they aren't used very often, but if you did have one it would have the same response time as a 24" with the same tech behind it. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

The size of the display means literally nothing except, well, its size.

It's what drives the panel and what its specs are and how it responds that means something. Higher refresh monitors tend to be a bit smaller because it's cheaper to manufacture smaller panels for that purpose.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.