Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

cross flow radiator

Oinq

As some of you (90 views at date) might have read, I'm asking help on the below topic about the radiator I should use:

While I ask searching for help, I noticed a thread that already was going on the direction I was looking for but I noticed some info I consider wrong, or I don't understand:

Because necro posting on this forum is not well seen (as I learnt after removing mine and following posts), here above I link the old thread.

It's referred there that a cross flow radiator is half than a dual pass, as the liquid is cooled once and in a dual pass twice.

I consider this sentence wrong, since indeed is only cooled once, but is cooled once over double the area.

Am I wrong? Is a cross flow really half efficient than a dual pass?

If you have 2x rads that are both the same dimension in hight,  width and thickness then no. It would be fairly even. A cross flows side tanks would be 2x the size of the duel pass side tanks. So instead of having say 500ml flowing back and forth in a duel pass, you'd get a litre in the same time span in the cross flow.

CPU: Intel i-9 9900KF
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
RAM: G.Skill 32GB 3200MHz Sniper X
GPU: ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2060
Case: Fractual Design Define S
Storage: Intel 760p 265GB SSD x2, Intel 760p 1TB SSD
PSU: Aerocool Project 7 650W
Display: ASUS VG278QR
Cooling: Noctua D-15S

Sound: ASUS Strix Soar

10 minutes ago, Oinq said:

-SNIP-

It makes little to no difference since the rate of flow through the loop is so quick and the cooling space itself is essentially the same. 

I have 4 Cross flow rads in my build. I have never had problems with temps. I had to use them due to how I built my case. 

Link to my build - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/999952-arctic-aurora-mark-ii/

Spoiler

Project Rebuild : Link (Custom Water-cooled Desk PC)

Ryzen 9 5905x     |    Gigabyte Aorus Extreme X570    |   Corsair 64gb 4x16 3000mhz DDR4

3x WD Black NVME 1tb    |   Corsair HX1200       2x GTX 1080ti's

2x  LG UltraGear 34GK950F-B  |  Corsair K95 (Brown)     |      Logitech G503 Lightspeed

No, the guy is wrong.

Even though it only passes through once (aka half the distance) it is passing through double the number of pipes in the radiator because it doesn't have to go to one side and then back.

Twice the number of pipes = twice the cross sectional area = half the velocity.

So even though it goes through only once, it spends twice as much time in the radiator.

The performance is therefore almost identical to a non-crossflow radiator.

This can also be seen from the amount of surface area, which is what does the cooling, and doesn't change whether it is crossflow or not.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Yea basically everything every one else said.   The limiting factor is how well the rad can shed heat with the fans.   Not how the fluid passes through.

Manufactures aside of they make a upass and xflow version they should perform more or less the same.

I regret not getting cross flow for all of mine. I prefer the routing option and much easier to drain more of the loop if I had them. 

Performance will be the same as it’s still the same concept. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 8700k, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB, EVGA 1080TI SC Black, EVGA 850 GQ, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz 

Spare RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 4770K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 32Gb, EVGA 1080sc & 1060 SSC, Corsair CX850M, Acer GD235hz 1920x1080@120hz