Low GPU usage in high fps games (overwatch, Black ops 4, ect.)

Hi I've been experiencing an issue with my GPU where Im only using around 60% usage on it in high fps games I have a rtx 2080 a i7 8700, 16gb ddr4 ram(single channel) 500W psu, I've made sure I'm on performance usage on power setting in Windows and Nvidia control panel I've re downloaded the drivers via GeForce experience I've checked my thermals and on everything maxed out in bo4 it gets to 85c (GPU) which is high but I've also taken the side panel off and ran it at 70c with the same GPU usage dlso I doubt it's thermal throttling and I don't know what else to do, help would be greatly appreciated if you get around 90 fps on bo4 on high and low changing the settings dosent do anything and I've seen people with worse set ups getting much higher fps and on overwatch I'll dip into the 120 on everything low, help would be greatly appreciated and I'm open to any ideas.

What resolution? The card isn't designed / made to run at 1080p. This is a 1440p+ card.

Things to try - 

Make sure video cables are plugged directly into the GPU.

Make sure game is full screen at the correct resolution. 

Change your scale resolution in game to see if that makes more of a difference. This will simulate 4K gaming.

PC - i7 12700K | EVGA FTW3 3090 | Corsair H150i | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A | 32GB Corsair Vengance | Lian Li O11 Evo & EVGA 1k PSU

-

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

VSync or fps limmiter activated? also maybe with a 3rd party tool like afterburner? 

My Setup: 
CPU: i7 4790 @3800 MHz, MB: MSI H87-G41, Grafik: Gigabyte GTX 1080TI, RAM: 2x 8GB DDR3 (1600), Storage: Samsung SSD 850 Evo

1 hour ago, Optane^ said:

What resolution? The card isn't designed / made to run at 1080p. This is a 1440p+ card.

Things to try - 

Make sure video cables are plugged directly into the GPU.

Make sure game is full screen at the correct resolution. 

Change your scale resolution in game to see if that makes more of a difference. This will simulate 4K gaming.

I run it at 1080p but I tried running the scale at 200 instead of 100 and it cut my fps down 50 or so, Im in fullscreen in both games and I've made sure my cables are set properly

1 hour ago, Mike87 said:

VSync or fps limmiter activated? also maybe with a 3rd party tool like afterburner? 

No vsync or fps limiter is on and I have my monitor set to 240hz which is why I'm trying to get this high of frame rate for these specific games, I usually just have Spotify and/or discord open but I did have afterburner on to check the CPU and GPU usage on it 

I have the same issue with my GTX 1070Ti,
I feel like this might be drivers issue, ( im running the latest drivers 417.22).
Right now i'm checking different driver version to see the actual cause.

Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Corsair Vengeance lpx 32gb 3600mhz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING | XPG Core Reactor 850w

2 hours ago, Mike87 said:

does afterburner cause these issues?

Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Corsair Vengeance lpx 32gb 3600mhz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING | XPG Core Reactor 850w

What's cpu usage like

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

What is your i7 8700 clocking during gaming? you said you only have single channel memory... what's it's frequency and timings too?

The best you can do is play the game a while and show us a log of usage through Afterburner or something.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 hours ago, Waqas409 said:

does afterburner cause these issues?

No I downloaded it to see what the issue was 

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

What is your i7 8700 clocking during gaming? you said you only have single channel memory... what's it's frequency and timings too?

The best you can do is play the game a while and show us a log of usage through Afterburner or something.

I can check and show you when I get home from work 

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

What's cpu usage like

It gets higher then the GPU usage like let's say I'm at 60% on bo4 for my GPU my CPU will be like 80% or 90% but on overwatch my GPU will be like 40% and my CPU 50% 

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

What's cpu usage like

gets higher then the GPU usage like let's say I'm at 60% on bo4 for my GPU my CPU will be like 80% or 90% but on overwatch my GPU will be like 40% and my CPU 50% 

5 hours ago, Slow1122 said:

gets higher then the GPU usage like let's say I'm at 60% on bo4 for my GPU my CPU will be like 80% or 90% but on overwatch my GPU will be like 40% and my CPU 50% 

Is that CPU usage as a whole? It sounds like for bo4 you're hitting a cpu bottleneck for sure so that's probably what's limiting your fps. That's probably why changing settings to low doesn't do much because your CPU is the bottleneck. Usually changing settings doesn't make it much harder for the CPU but it does make it harder for the GPU but if you're CPU bottlenecked already lowering settings won't increase fps much.

For OW, check to see if one or two cores might be hitting 80-90%+ CPU usage because if that's the case those cores might be bottlenecking.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

I stopped using the latest nvidia driver. Was giving me a serious fps issue. 

Id imagine the 8700 would limit the 2080 but not to such a low fps. Running my k over clocked I see 150/180fps in bo4 at 1080p max setings with the cpu at 90%.

Clean install of an older driver, late November perhaps. Another stick of ram can go along way.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz