Is this samsung curved monitor good?

AllianceLA
Go to solution Solved by Vedge,

TLDR: It looks like a decent screen, especially if you find it at a discount. If you can run modern games at 1440p@60 then you should be able to run "competitive" games (LOL, CSGO, Overwatch) at at close to 1440p@144hz. I wouldnt buy two screens, since that would be a waste of money in my eyes. Rather spend it towards a better graphics next time or maybe get a screen with adaptive refresh rate. Those are typically more expensive.

Long version:

I got this monitor for a Black Friday deal at around half the price of the ASUS PG27 series (both TN and IPS). This Samsung screen uses the same panel as their quantum dot HDR screens. I've also had a chance of having all 3 of them side by side for two weeks now for comparison(Samsung, PG278QR and PG279Q).

Even regardless of the price, my unit has a tiny amount of backlight bleed compared to ASUS models that have piss poor QC. No horrendous IPS glow either since it's a VA panel, excellent black levels.

The image quality is very close to the ASUS IPS model, if only a bit less vibrant. Miles ahead of the ASUS TN. Responsiveness is on par with the  ASUS IPS@144hz, while obviously behind the TN, as tested by eye without any tech.

The only negative I can say is that it has some color banding when looking at test gradient images. However, I wasn't able to find a single game where that is at all noticeable. The one game I did find it in (destiny2 on the aurora borealis at the loading screen), color banding is present on all 3 screens equally, so it might be a game thing.

No G-sync or Freesync...

Otherwise, an excellent screen for the price, especially if found at a discount, imho. Oh, and did I mention that it doesnt seem to have garbage QC as the borderline not fit for purpose high-end IPS and TN panels from ASUS and ACER?

I was looking for a monitor, either 1440p@60hz or 1080p@144hz, but i ended up finding this one

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&IWB=MX&O=&Q=&gclid=CjwKCAiAl7PgBRBWEiwAzFhmmg6IGGvVSpCxr2MumByS1lYBMSeAzuipZMPQB3lTGD0iFU-GpaAm3RoCShYQAvD_BwE&is=REG&lsft=BI%3A514&pcur=xCHF&sku=1431548

Its a samsung curved monitor 1440p@144hz and i want to know if its good or not because i can buy it in my country for $350 (most 1440p@144hz are $500+) i just want it to play games, not video or photo editing at all

thanks before hand!

Based on what information is on the B&H page for it, it seems like a pretty decent monitor. Also, it looks like it does have vesa support, so you could use a different stand with it if you're not a fan of the limited adjustment offered by the stock stand.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

either way i think it would be an upgrade (i play on a laptop), but its a lot of money for me so i want to be sure its good, thanks for your opinion btw

If you are gaming then a higher refresh rate is much better than havinb a higher resolution, almost no benefits besides image sharpness are gained from high-resolution monitors during gaming. However with a high refresh rate you will encounter far less motion blur and an overall smoother experience. I reccomend a BenQ or ASUS (excluding VG248 series) 144HZ, 1080p panel.

i7-7700k | GTX 1080 Ti | 32GB 3100MHz | Prime Z270-AR

15 hours ago, qqqqqq said:

If you are gaming then a higher refresh rate is much better than havinb a higher resolution, almost no benefits besides image sharpness are gained from high-resolution monitors during gaming. However with a high refresh rate you will encounter far less motion blur and an overall smoother experience. I reccomend a BenQ or ASUS (excluding VG248 series) 144HZ, 1080p panel.

A friend told me that if i was planning on playing competitive games (eSport titles mostly) i should go with 1080p@144hz, but if i was going to just play games 1440p@60hz was better, would it be better if i buy one 1080p@144hz and other 1440p@60hz? 

TLDR: It looks like a decent screen, especially if you find it at a discount. If you can run modern games at 1440p@60 then you should be able to run "competitive" games (LOL, CSGO, Overwatch) at at close to 1440p@144hz. I wouldnt buy two screens, since that would be a waste of money in my eyes. Rather spend it towards a better graphics next time or maybe get a screen with adaptive refresh rate. Those are typically more expensive.

Long version:

I got this monitor for a Black Friday deal at around half the price of the ASUS PG27 series (both TN and IPS). This Samsung screen uses the same panel as their quantum dot HDR screens. I've also had a chance of having all 3 of them side by side for two weeks now for comparison(Samsung, PG278QR and PG279Q).

Even regardless of the price, my unit has a tiny amount of backlight bleed compared to ASUS models that have piss poor QC. No horrendous IPS glow either since it's a VA panel, excellent black levels.

The image quality is very close to the ASUS IPS model, if only a bit less vibrant. Miles ahead of the ASUS TN. Responsiveness is on par with the  ASUS IPS@144hz, while obviously behind the TN, as tested by eye without any tech.

The only negative I can say is that it has some color banding when looking at test gradient images. However, I wasn't able to find a single game where that is at all noticeable. The one game I did find it in (destiny2 on the aurora borealis at the loading screen), color banding is present on all 3 screens equally, so it might be a game thing.

No G-sync or Freesync...

Otherwise, an excellent screen for the price, especially if found at a discount, imho. Oh, and did I mention that it doesnt seem to have garbage QC as the borderline not fit for purpose high-end IPS and TN panels from ASUS and ACER?

3 hours ago, Vedge said:

Long version:

No G-sync or Freesync...

Can i assume that the 27" version is as good as the 34" one right?

Oh sorry, my bad. I have the 27", hence the comparison to other 27" screens