Best Anti-Virus

I want to build my first computer, and I've been planning it for months, but I'm not sure what Anti-Virus to get because I (as well as many others) do not want to end up destroying my computer with virus'.

Malwarebytes, Spybot (if it's still relevant?), MSE, and Windows defender. 

don't be a twit on the internet and active protection is not necessary, just keep a scanner around just in case. 

Error: 410

MalwareBytes. Love the damn thing

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

When you first install your OS, install Spybot - Search and Destroy, run the immunizer, then uninstall it. Re-immunize every few months or so. Then, install Malwarebytes or Microsoft Security Essentials if you want a general-use antivirus application. I don't necessarily recommend them for removing viruses, but they should be perfectly fine for detecting when you're infected.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

I use Malwarebytes with nod32 and they have worked great for me. Very light on resources as well as staying up to date.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Well I hardly ever use mine, since "virus'" really don't happen all that often as it's usually just tool bars, some crappy petty malicious stuff, and ad ware.. I use Avast on my PC though.

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

I want to build my first computer, and I've been planning it for months, but I'm not sure what Anti-Virus to get because I (as well as many others) do not want to end up destroying my computer with virus'.

Personally I use Norton 360 and I like it's features and powers.

There's a lot of fanboyism against it but it's actually all BS. They say it uses lots of RAM, but in reality it uses less than 15MB when it's idle, around 50MB when it is doing a background quick scan, and about 300MB when you do a manual full scan + other operations. These number might be huge a decade ago, but today when most people are getting computers with 6GB+ RAM, these number become irrelevant.

The only credible downside to it is that it's paid. To me however, $40 a year for 3 PCs is nothing.

If you still don't want to pay, get the free version of BitDefender, it's pretty good as well.

Malwarebytes full scan and Avast 2014 Free are perfect. And Avast is rather light on resources.

Whatever you do, do NOT get Trend Micro. It is effective, but man does it soak up resources.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Love it.

It really is one of the best ones I've tried. Years of MSE and CA and I fell in love with MB!

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

I use a combination of Avast and CCleaner to maintain my pc. Does me fine. I've had this laptop I'm using, going on my 3rd year, hasn't slowed down one bit. I run a fullscan/bootscan once a month, in addition to deleting files i don't use, then ccleaner to clean up the registry extensions that nolonger exist and deleting cookies on all browers etc..

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Firstly, don't pay for antivirus software.  Theres no need to, secondly you should have more than antivirus software, you should look at firewall, scanner, zero day components and antivirus.  Windows Firewall works fine, just make sure to have a hardware firewall protecting you.  Like a Router or VPN Firewall.  For the firewall, as I said Windows firewall is fine, for the zero day components you really don't need any unless you want the most protection, for the antivirus...  

Really any antivirus thats not complete crap is fine, Avast, AVG, Bitdefender, Microsoft Security Essentials, Comodo and Malwarebytes pro are all good antivirus software to use, a scanner is also good to have.  Which is a second opinions that you can manually scan with.  Malwarebytes is the way to go with that.  No exceptions.   You can pay for Internet Security Software which includes a Firewall that is normally better than the Windows one, but for antivirus software.  Theres really no need. 

Malwarebytes, Spybot (if it's still relevant?), MSE, and Windows defender. 

don't be a twit on the internet and active protection is not necessary, just keep a scanner around just in case. 

i thought MSE IS windows defender? :[] 

Avast for Anti-Virus, and comodo for firewall. Just my personal recommendations, though with comodo you have to uninstall a bunch of stuff once it's installed. They install their own modded version of the Chrome browser and this Geekbuddy online help app, but both can be removed easily.

idk it might be. I don't use any of that stuff anyway, I just know what's decent. 

Error: 410

Avast! Well that's what I use and I've never had a virus... the free version of coarse... no reason to pay for something you don't HAVE to.

Malwarebytes is not an anti-virus.. It is anti-malware.. You will still need active anti-virus protection like avast.. 

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

Malwarebytes is not an anti-virus.. It is anti-malware.. You will still need active anti-virus protection like avast.. 

It's a good supplement. The developers have said in the past that it's not optimal for overall protection.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

MSE, win 8 comes with it by default too. 

all anti-virus sucks. except one. "Common sense"

seriously all you need is a couple of browser extensions to stop trackers and other cookies and then the common sense to not click on bad things.

TekSyndicate Forum Moderator: https://forum.teksyndicate.com/users/njm1112

5930K@4.3Ghz | 16GB 4x4 2133Mhz | r9-290 | 6TB Raid5 | 250GB 850Evo | 8.1pro | RM750

all anti-virus sucks. except one. "Common sense"

seriously all you need is a couple of browser extensions to stop trackers and other cookies and then the common sense to not click on bad things.

I agree, common sense is great but, it got me thinking. Unless people personally have experience or have been told not to click on virus/malware triggers, they tend to lack common sense. I know for me, my computer took countless virus bombs hits and I had to reformat many times over again before I fully developed my "common sense." Anyway, the above posts are great suggestions. I use Avira myself, haven't had a nasty virus since my early teen years.

Defender is rebadged, slightly slower, different interface, but still the same under the hood.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I agree, common sense is great but, it got me thinking. Unless people personally have experience or have been told not to click on virus/malware triggers, they tend to lack common sense. I know for me, my computer took countless virus bombs hits and I had to reformat many times over again before I fully developed my "common sense." Anyway, the above posts are great suggestions. I use Avira myself, haven't had a nasty virus since my early teen years.

I've been running virus free for 3years now while using common sense

GET COMMON SENSE NOW! FOR OUR LOW PRICE OF 19.95!

TekSyndicate Forum Moderator: https://forum.teksyndicate.com/users/njm1112

5930K@4.3Ghz | 16GB 4x4 2133Mhz | r9-290 | 6TB Raid5 | 250GB 850Evo | 8.1pro | RM750

Defender is rebadged, slightly slower, different interfece, but still the same under the hood.

should i use windows defender and malwarebyes? or get something like avast

should i use windows defender and malwarebyes? or get something like avast

Get Avast, then do a full scan once a month with Avast, then another with Malwarebytes. It's time consuming, but totally worth it. And make sure you update them as soon as something comes out for it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler