how to build a good dolby atmos home Theater

lightwalker

Hi, 

I will move out soon and I was wondering what do I need to make a good home theater room. and I have a few question :

- What type of room do I need to look for?

- What are your recommendation for low, medium and high setup (AV receiver, speaker, etc)?

- Should I go for a projector or a tv? 

- I will game and watch movie in that setup.

- whats is your opinion on 7.1.4 vs 5.1.4?

Thx ! 

Unless you have a huge room and want a giant screen, go with a (4k) TV. I recently put together a 5.0 system with a Denon AVR and Dali speakers. I'm quite happy with them. The best recommendation with speakers is always go to a HiFi shop and listen, if you can. After all, you're the one listening to it.

I'd suggest starting small. Get fronts and maybe a center, then add surround left/rights for a 5.0/5.1 setup and see if you still need more. Keep in mind that you will need actual 7.1 and/or Atmos content to take proper advantage of a 7.1.4 setup, which exists very little still. Not to mention the cost of such a setup alone... Also don't overestimate what the surround speakers do. My side surrounds are amazing when used correctly, but the main sound will still come from the front left, right and center

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

3 hours ago, tikker said:

Keep in mind that you will need actual 7.1 and/or Atmos content to take proper advantage of a 7.1.4 setup, which exists very little still

7.1 is pretty common on discs. It’s not available on streaming services though. Atmos ehhhh it’s picking up.

But this is something to consider because if the op plans to stream only, then atmos is practically useless. And the extra expense of discs when you actually want to watch a movie.

Make sure you have a good, steady income before you waste money on entertainment. I spent $20,000 on my theater without atmos. 

yea like everyone said start with 5.1...i mean you can still buy the avr receiver that supports atmos if you want to add more speakers later on
and yes go listen to speakers before buying (if your picky) i actually didnt like anything i heard so i built all my speakers (except for my 2 12" powered subs)
and 5.1 if you have everything set up right works really really well. and dont do the auto calibration...i have found it NEVER sets the rears and center correctly.
BUT yea this can turn into a expensive hobby if you let it :P

9 hours ago, JohnT said:

Make sure you have a good, steady income before you waste money on entertainment. I spent $20,000 on my theater without atmos. 

7 hours ago, circeseye said:

BUT yea this can turn into a expensive hobby if you let it :P

The issues is that while a single speaker is affordable, you'll need 6 of them :P I spent a little too much in hindsight, but I plan to stick with (most of) these for a long time so I figured it's worth it. The Audyssey calibration actually worked out alright for me. It allows me to hear the side surrounds better.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

On the audio side of things (i have no idea when it comes to the visual side of things) i would get an atmos reciever, then 5 surrounds. if you feel like you need more bass, add a subwoofer. then if you still feel like you need more sound, add side surrounds. then if you feel like you want overheads add overheads. High end-audio can get really expensive if you let it!!, i started out with this method, and here i am with a 10.2.2 system.

23 hours ago, lightwalker said:

Hi, 

I will move out soon and I was wondering what do I need to make a good home theater room. and I have a few question :

- What type of room do I need to look for?

- What are your recommendation for low, medium and high setup (AV receiver, speaker, etc)?

- Should I go for a projector or a tv? 

- I will game and watch movie in that setup.

- whats is your opinion on 7.1.4 vs 5.1.4?

Thx ! 

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

Thank for all those advice! i'll start small and buy a few speaker on the road ! 

18 hours ago, lightwalker said:

Thank for all those advice! i'll start small and buy a few speaker on the road ! 

Good idea. :)

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)