Psu can't power a 6 pin for gpu, decrease gpu power draw %?

micha,idk

Ok, so

I have an old lenovo desktop with an i7-3770, 8gb ram, 500gb hdd, and I wanna put a gpu in it. The power supply is custom, for this board only, and I can't replace the psu with a different one, because the connectors are different. I was thinking of getting a Sata power to Pcie 6 pin, but the ampage on the 12v rails on that is only 16, which isn't enough for pretty much anything, over the performance of a GT 1030. I was thinking of then just getting a gpu with 75 watt power draw, that only uses power from the pcie 3.0 thingie, but I am trying to find one used for cheap, so I can sell this as a moderate gaming pc, for 200-250 bucks, (yes I would buy an ssd), and I can't find any gpus used rn that don't need a 6 pin that are better than a gt 1030 for cheap. Could I get a strix gtx 950 that i found for 50 bucks and just decrease the power limit or whatever so that it fits within the 75 watts? Or does it only use 75 watts to begin with? I don't really want a gt 1030 because that will severely bottleneck an i7-3770, but so would a gtx 950. I know that a 1050ti is the best performance I can get for 75 watts, but those are rare, and I'm trying to find one for about 80 bucks or under.  

Any tips?

No mucho

i like tech

7 minutes ago, WikiForce said:

try harder, you might find a used 1050 ti for 80$ as my brother got a steal deal for around same price considering the inflated prices here it should be easier for you to find a 1050 ti at that price range.

Its not just that i need a 1050ti, I can easily find or negotiate that down to 80 bucks

I would get a 970 or 1060 3gb for 90 or 100 if that was the case. 

Its that I also need one of the low power /  non 6 pin versions

No mucho

i like tech

RX 560 consumes up to 80 watts.  Some come with a 6 pin pci-e connector,but they draw little from that ... around 30-50w from slot and around 30w from connector, so a sata to pci-e adapter would work.

You can play with the power limit and lower the voltage and frequency of the card's cpu and ram to consume less than 80 watts, maybe close to 50-55w.

RX 550 is only 45w.. but not sure it's a great deal. You'd be better off with a downclocked RX 560.

Alternative from nVidia would GTX 1050 an GTX 1050 ti ... both would be at around 75w ... same deal, you have power sliders, you can downclock it a bit to lower power.

Lower, you have gt 1030 at around 40w? ... but not really, probably more perforance with a rx 560 and at least you get hardware encoder for h264 if you decide to stream ... gt 1030 has the hardware encoders disabled.

1 hour ago, micha,idk said:

Ok, so

I have an old lenovo desktop with an i7-3770, 8gb ram, 500gb hdd, and I wanna put a gpu in it. The power supply is custom, for this board only, and I can't replace the psu with a different one, because the connectors are different. I was thinking of getting a Sata power to Pcie 6 pin, but the ampage on the 12v rails on that is only 16, which isn't enough for pretty much anything, over the performance of a GT 1030. I was thinking of then just getting a gpu with 75 watt power draw, that only uses power from the pcie 3.0 thingie, but I am trying to find one used for cheap, so I can sell this as a moderate gaming pc, for 200-250 bucks, (yes I would buy an ssd), and I can't find any gpus used rn that don't need a 6 pin that are better than a gt 1030 for cheap. 

Any tips?

My recommendation either split all that info into a few paragraphs or go straight to the question so it is easier to read.

I did read it, but that doesn't mean everyone will

Could I get a strix gtx 950 that i found for 50 bucks and just decrease the power limit or whatever so that it fits within the 75 watts?

You definitely could

but are you sure that PSU is enough? even if you lock it to 75W? because generic PSUs often lie about their power capabilities, it says 16A but there's a chance it pulls even less. 

That's the problem with generic PSUs, you don't know what their real power is unless you test it

Or does it only use 75 watts to begin with?

it depends on the 950, some models pull more power than others and TDP is not the same as power draw

I know that a 1050ti is the best performance I can get for 75 watts, but those are rare, and I'm trying to find one for about 80 bucks or under.  

Any tips?

I'd try to stretch the budget for the 1050 ti, it seems like a better match for that i7

45 minutes ago, mariushm said:

RX 560 consumes up to 80 watts.  Some come with a 6 pin pci-e connector,but they draw little from that ... around 30-50w from slot and around 30w from connector, so a sata to pci-e adapter would work.

You can play with the power limit and lower the voltage and frequency of the card's cpu and ram to consume less than 80 watts, maybe close to 50-55w.

RX 550 is only 45w.. but not sure it's a great deal. You'd be better off with a downclocked RX 560.

Alternative from nVidia would GTX 1050 an GTX 1050 ti ... both would be at around 75w ... same deal, you have power sliders, you can downclock it a bit to lower power.

Lower, you have gt 1030 at around 40w? ... but not really, probably more perforance with a rx 560 and at least you get hardware encoder for h264 if you decide to stream ... gt 1030 has the hardware encoders disabled.

power draw depends on the model

Just now, 17030644 said:

power draw depends on the model

Well of course, duh. Still, the consumption is give or take a few watts, not much variation on such models.  Memory choice, efficiency of components in the VRMs on the motherboard... these cause 5-10 watts of variation on a card with such power consumption range...

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

Well of course, duh. Still, the consumption is give or take a few watts, not much variation on such models.  Memory choice, efficiency of components in the VRMs on the motherboard... these cause 5-10 watts of variation on a card with such power consumption range...

well in this case it might matter bc he has a generic PSU

Wow, thanks for all the replies!

I just found a 75 watt model 1050ti on facebook marketplace, not exactly the price I Was hoping for, but it'll do. 

EDIT

he removed it from marketplace right after I saw it

just my luck

43 minutes ago, 17030644 said:

My recommendation either split all that info into a few paragraphs or go straight to the question so it is easier to read.

I did read it, but that doesn't mean everyone will

Yeah, sorry

No mucho

i like tech