Mixer for Audio from PC and Console

TharonisSR

Hi, total audio noob here. I was wondering if it was possible to get a simple cheap audio mixer that would allow me to receive audio into my headphones from discord to talk to my friends (I already have a usb microphone specifically for pc) while simultaneously receiving and sending audio through my headset and headset mic for read dead 2 on PS4. I have read that a mixer is required to do this, but none of the information I have seen relates to the specific purpose I need it for and I'm not really sure exactly what I need. Any help would be much appreciated since I am kind of lost right now, thanks.

there's many ways you could go at this, there's even headsets that accept multiple inputs, if you so desire.

as for buying an actual (propper) mixer, that's probably more money than you would be wanting to spend for this.

8 minutes ago, manikyath said:

there's many ways you could go at this, there's even headsets that accept multiple inputs, if you so desire.

as for buying an actual (propper) mixer, that's probably more money than you would be wanting to spend for this.

I'd be happy to take alternative suggestions for how I could achieve this, although I would like to keep my hyper x cloud headphones as they have sort of grown on me. As for the amount I am willing to spend on a mixer, I would say within the 50 - 70 dollar range would be reasonable and fine by me.

23 minutes ago, TharonisSR said:

I'd be happy to take alternative suggestions for how I could achieve this, although I would like to keep my hyper x cloud headphones as they have sort of grown on me. As for the amount I am willing to spend on a mixer, I would say within the 50 - 70 dollar range would be reasonable and fine by me.

i've been digging trough some simpler options.. and they're either mono or terrible..

comes to mind, an option is to have the console's audio out route to your computer's line in, and you can just enable "listen to this device" in the sound options. only downside is a slight delay, depends on how big of an issue that is, but this could be a "$3 solution".

EDIT: oh, and i found this thing:

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-502-Premium-5-Input-British/dp/B000J5UEGQ

way overkill for what you need, you'll need a bunch of adapters to plug it in, but it'll do the job very well.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i've been digging trough some simpler options.. and they're either mono or terrible..

comes to mind, an option is to have the console's audio out route to your computer's line in, and you can just enable "listen to this device" in the sound options. only downside is a slight delay, depends on how big of an issue that is, but this could be a "$3 solution".

Damn, well I can afford the loss if it doesn't work out just to test that solution. Only a few questions though, would I be able to use either my headset mic or usb desktop mic (which I use for discord and pc in general) on my ps4 using that method, and what sort of cables would I need to pull that off since the ps4 only has usb with the only 3.5mm jack being a combined audio/mic jack on the controller.

12 minutes ago, manikyath said:

EDIT: oh, and i found this thing:

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-502-Premium-5-Input-British/dp/B000J5UEGQ

way overkill for what you need, you'll need a bunch of adapters to plug it in, but it'll do the job very well.

I was looking at that model before, but I wasn't sure what sorts of adapters I would need and people were saying in reviews that only certain types of mics work since apparently it doesn't send enough power, but idk.

21 minutes ago, TharonisSR said:

I was looking at that model before, but I wasn't sure what sorts of adapters I would need and people were saying in reviews that only certain types of mics work since apparently it doesn't send enough power, but idk.

just wire the microphone straight to where you want it to go, and the headphone side, presuming your headset uses the classic "3.5mm jack for audio and 3.5mm jack for microphone" setup.. this would roughly be the setup (accessories bolded):

- microphone jack plugged directly into where you want the microphone to go (PS4 in this case, i'm guessing)

- 3.5mm (F) jack to 6.35mm (M) jack extension cable to plug the headphones into the headphone output

- 3.5mm (M) jack to 2x 6.35 (M) mono jack cable to plug your pc's audio output into channel 2/3 (first stereo input)

- 3.5mm (M) jack (presuming that's what the PS4 uses) to 2x 6.35mm (M) mono jack cable to plug your PS4 into channel 4/5 (second stereo input)

4 hours ago, manikyath said:

just wire the microphone straight to where you want it to go, and the headphone side, presuming your headset uses the classic "3.5mm jack for audio and 3.5mm jack for microphone" setup.. this would roughly be the setup (accessories bolded):

- microphone jack plugged directly into where you want the microphone to go (PS4 in this case, i'm guessing)

- 3.5mm (F) jack to 6.35mm (M) jack extension cable to plug the headphones into the headphone output

- 3.5mm (M) jack to 2x 6.35 (M) mono jack cable to plug your pc's audio output into channel 2/3 (first stereo input)

- 3.5mm (M) jack (presuming that's what the PS4 uses) to 2x 6.35mm (M) mono jack cable to plug your PS4 into channel 4/5 (second stereo input)

Alright I think I'm going to do that, thank you so much for the help.