160 watt audio system from 1997

Sa1tama

Hi! I just found a stereo system from 1997. Honestly i could never imagine that i had it. I have 2x80watt bookshelf and 2x7.5watt mini spekers and i can't wait to build a circuit to drive it. The problem is that i don't know at what voltage i should plug it into. I couldn't find any datasheets for them (i'm talking about bookshelf speakers). On the back of the unit there is written: Power Handling Capacity 80 watts

Impedance: 6 ohms

With this info i calculated that i need 21.9volts & 3.65amps. 

I am not a professional so naturally i came to LTT forum for answers.

Here are the pics:

15442669132541174167523.thumb.jpg.8994a9e030dd09ccfabb471288cd8434.jpg

1544266994955137079844.thumb.jpg.338bc47b1be51cc6b577dc526c1bb28a.jpg

Sorry for bad English and thanks in advance!

probably passive speakers that just go to an amp? should just have two wires running out the back or two terminals for speaker wires to screw into

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

probably passive speakers that just go to an amp? should just have two wires running out the back or two terminals for speaker wires to screw into

Yep.

15442673814122067829342.thumb.jpg.95ebaac6f3d5a4c1c18929eb811fa730.jpg

1 minute ago, _SAITAMA_ said:

Yep.

then just plug them into an amp, if you want to DIY an amp to drive them i cant really help with whats a good design but there should be plans all over the web

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Or you can just hit Amazon and get something like this: https://amzn.to/2E8d3ev

It will do around 35-40w at 6 ohm, so you'll get loads of sound on those speakers.  Even with just 10w output on those speakers, in a small room it will be enough.

If you want something cheaper, this will also work just fine ... would do around 20-25w : https://amzn.to/2El7pX9

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

Or you can just hit Amazon and get something like this: https://amzn.to/2E8d3ev

It will do around 35-40w at 6 ohm, so you'll get loads of sound on those speakers.  Even with just 10w output on those speakers, in a small room it will be enough.

If you want something cheaper, this will also work just fine ... would do around 20-25w : https://amzn.to/2El7pX9

They are quite good AMPs but i want to make the circuit myself. I am just doing this for fun.

In that case, it would be easier for you to go with a class AB amplifier, since you ca make the power supply out of a simple transformer and you can basically solder all components on a prototyping board, no surface mounted stuff.

Something super simple would be TDA7296 ( datasheet here  ) ... it can do 30w at 6 ohm with +/- 21v  (supports up to +/- 35v)  and you can also connect  two together in bridge mode to get up to 60w on a speaker... that's how I'd do it, in bridge mode, since the chips are cheap.

So you can grab a standard cheap 2 x 18v transformer (though it would have to be big enough,for example if you want 60w then you need around 150VA ... so for 2 x 60w you'd need a 200-300VA transformer) and you get your split power supply... rest is super easy ... picture straight from datasheet :

tda7296_single.png.6a96d3afce53effae50d60001863dbfe.png

tda7296_board.png.90ca0a841099f73c75678ac8f19738a2.png

tda7296.png.e58103a7cbd5891c727c60ab1f54a755.png