Bad power supply or something else?

thedoor2103

Today I was playing rocket league and the screen kept going black and coming back on every 2 minutes or so. I switched out the displayport cable and everything seemed to be fine.

Earlier in the day I had installed the Cryorig H7 CPU Cooler to upgrade the stock cooler. I had never had any problems like this before.

Anyway, after thinking the problem had been fixed, I was playing borderlands 2 co-op online with a friend and my computer shut itself off. I couldn't turn it back on again until I flipped the switch on the power supply off and back on again.

Is this simply a power supply failure or is there something wrong with how I installed my new cooler? The timing of this has me worried I messed something up on the installation.

Build

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600

Cooler: Cryorig H7

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16gb DDR4 3000mhz

GPU: XFX Radeon RX 580 8gb

Storage: 250 GB 860 evo samsung ssd + WD Blue 1TB HDD

PSU: EVGA 600W 80+

Monitor: Asus MG28UQ

Thanks

By what do your cpu temps look like? You may have a poor seating of the new cooler that let your cpu temp cause instability and a system shutdown to prevent damage. 

1 minute ago, COUPER MILLAR said:

By what do your cpu temps look like? You may have a poor seating of the new cooler that let your cpu temp cause instability and a system shutdown to prevent damage. 

I don't currently have a way to see the temps under load, any recommendations for how I could do that?

All I know is that when I first boot into the Bios it runs at 32-33°C which is significantly cooler that it was with the stock cooler so I thought I had done it right.

8 hours ago, COUPER MILLAR said:

Cpuid hwmonitor is free and works great

I ran cinebench and my cpu topped it at 53°C

So on the bright side your cooler is working great! Have you tried repeating the causes of the crash to see if you can trigger it again? Possibly double check all your power cables just for good measure. If you can get it to repeat the failure we can start more focused troubleshooting from there.