Looking for new headphones

Demolishdude

Its not a bad headphone, its a bad value for anything over the $100 price tag it was at for years, I even own a pair. And it falls short of other $150 headphones like the COP and HD380. 

But what it is, is a gateway headphone, which is why people like it. Its their first real headphone. 

I am still in doubt you have tried one; Either you want to belong on the unique side of things or really haven't tried one. I have an uncle that is really into high-end stereo and audio and he owns a pair of Audeze LCD-2 and he thinks the ATH-M50 sound almost half as good as his Audeze LCD-2 and I found that statement funny because a YouTuber called phototristan (who knows a lot about audio) said something similar about the ATH-M50. I still don't think a they are close to sound half as good as the Audeze LCD-2 but it really shows how people have different opinions about their pair of heaphones. I own an ATH-M50 and some other headphones and the ATH-M50 I found it really a special case, GREAT sound, good built quality and in my opinion they look sexy :D

Not in the headphone world. Older headphones can make for some of the best listening experience you can have. Fond of my fathers old radio headphones that the Air Force gave him. Not the best response, but fantastic depth and soundstage. 

971340_686775794681987_304451371_n.jpg

lol not even your pic but nice try xD

lol not even your pic but nice try xD

Hey it's not just him that shares that opinion. I personally have not been able to try my new headphones out yet so cannot say for sure but my m50s are extremely uncomfortable because the earpads got hard. For that alone, I wouldn't pay the $150 price tag for it. I got mine for $100 used. Also, sound is very subjective so what sounds good to you, might not sound good to someone else. Also, in audio you hit the price ceiling very hard so after a few hundred dollars, you don't get much out of the extra money at all so if the m50s sound half as good, that's pretty bad. 

I am still in doubt you have tried one; Either you want to belong on the unique side of things or really haven't tried one. I have an uncle that is really into high-end stereo and audio and he owns a pair of Audeze LCD-2 and he thinks the ATH-M50 sound almost half as good as his Audeze LCD-2 and I found that statement funny because a YouTuber called phototristan (who knows a lot about audio) said something similar about the ATH-M50. I still don't think a they are close to sound half as good as the Audeze LCD-2 but it really shows how people have different opinions about their pair of heaphones. I own an ATH-M50 and some other headphones and the ATH-M50 I found it really a special case, GREAT sound, good built quality and in my opinion they look sexy :D

That not even his photo lol

As. You. Where.

WFEInck.jpg

Hey it's not just him that shares that opinion. I personally have not been able to try my new headphones out yet so cannot say for sure but my m50s are extremely uncomfortable because the earpads got hard. For that alone, I wouldn't pay the $150 price tag for it. I got mine for $100 used. Also, sound is very subjective so what sounds good to you, might not sound good to someone else. Also, in audio you hit the price ceiling very hard so after a few hundred dollars, you don't get much out of the extra money at all so if the m50s sound half as good, that's pretty bad. 

Technically its not MY photo. Its the other person I review with. 

For listening, (At the hundred dollar price point) its not bad, but not the best, the Sennheiser HD438 is a better listening headphone.

Then for the professional application, its not bad, but the V6 and 7506 are cheaper, and miles better in the professional industry.

So my question is, why is it over popularized when there are better options for the price that it doesn't cost?  (Don't answer, I know buying M50's makes you YouTubs famous.) 

For listening, (At the hundred dollar price point) its not bad, but not the best, the Sennheiser HD438 is a better listening headphone.

Then for the professional application, its not bad, but the V6 and 7506 are cheaper, and miles better in the professional industry.

So my question is, why is it over popularized when there are better options for the price that it doesn't cost?  (Don't answer, I know buying M50's makes you YouTubs famous.) 

I bought it because at the time, they were still $150 and I found someone selling for $100 so thought I would give them a try. I had 7506 before and I like the m50s more for sound quality but they are not as comfortable. However, I do like the straight cable that they offer instead of the coil cable. Can't stand the coil cable. That's why I'm going to mod my dt770 when I get them. 

Edit: I only use them for listening so I do not know anything about the professional side of things. 

I find it funny how we had this discussion over you not owning headphones jokingly last month and now people are actually saying the same thing.

Reality is stranger than fiction.  :rolleyes:

Er... I mean... we all know @EmoRarity only owns sausages instead of headphones. Any photo's he possesses are just masterfully done photoshops.

Edit: Oh, and Audio Technica is one of my favorite headphone companies and I own a pair of M50's. They are not worth the current asking price. Their rise in popularity has unfortunately priced them out of being competitive in the $150ish price range. 4-5 years ago I was trying to decide between AD700's and M50's. That part doesn't matter, what does is that at that time, m50's were in the $80-90 USD dollar price range. They are certainly not worth nearly twice their asking price that they are being listed as now.

Influences like certain youtubers, headphone forums, and the recent rise of Beats inflated the price of the m50's.

Btw, I'm currently listening to m50's right now. I listen to them on nearly a daily basis. They sound great for up to the $100ish dollar price point. But they should not be in the $150 dollar price point.

I bought it because at the time, they were still $150 and I found someone selling for $100 so thought I would give them a try. I had 7506 before and I like the m50s more for sound quality but they are not as comfortable. However, I do like the straight cable that they offer instead of the coil cable. Can't stand the coil cable. That's why I'm going to mod my dt770 when I get them. 

Edit: I only use them for listening so I do not know anything about the professional side of things. 

Amusingly enough, (Purely subjective preference here) I find the 7506 to sound better, and I prefer coiled cables, since I'm 2m, isn't of 6m. 

I find it funny how we had this discussion over you not owning headphones jokingly last month and now people are actually saying the same thing.

Reality is stranger than fiction.  :rolleyes:

Er... I mean... we all know @EmoRarity only owns sausages instead of headphones. Any photo's he possesses are just masterfully done photoshops.

DON'T REMIND ME!

http://www.californiaheadphones.com/silverado.html

I got these on sale after christmas and the sounds loads better than anything I had had before (mostly cheap crap) but they have the greatest build quality I have ever seen and would not hesitate to recomend them to anyone.

Last I checked, he is European, which makes those headphones hard to obtain. 

Amusingly enough, (Purely subjective preference here) I find the 7506 to sound better, and I prefer coiled cables, since I'm 2m, isn't of 6m. 

DON'T REMIND ME!

Sorry didn't know you were Beats suck on Facebook xD Because the pics I saw you send were very similar to the ones at that page xD

http://www.californiaheadphones.com/silverado.html

I got these on sale after christmas and the sounds loads better than anything I had had before (mostly cheap crap) but they have the greatest build quality I have ever seen and would not hesitate to recomend them to anyone.

Yeah they will probably be pretty pricey over there, but if he can get them around 200$ USD then they are well worth it...

I don't think they sound half as good as does high end headphones, I just stated that my uncle and a YouTuber that knows a lot about were compering it to their Audeze LCD-2. I don't think it is near and LCD-2 lol I said that because as you said sound is subjective and it really depends in the person if he likes the sound or not.As for the earpads it all depends on your room temperature, how you clean it and how often you use them, so that really depends on your room, my room isn't hot but also isn't cool that's why mine haven't got hard.  ^_^

I don't think they sound half as good as does high end headphones, I just stated that my uncle and a YouTuber that knows a lot about were compering it to their Audeze LCD-2. I don't think it is near and LCD-2 lol I said that because as you said sound is subjective and it really depends in the person if he likes the sound or not.As for the earpads it all depends on your room temperature, how you clean it and how often you use them, so that really depends on your room, my room isn't hot but also isn't cool that's why mine haven't got hard.  ^_^

Having tried the LCD-2/3 myself, I can say its in a different league then the M50. Not even taking into account the VERY different transducer principles. 

On top of that they didn't carry their immense weight very well, in a similar way that they M50's get uncomfortable because they don't breathe and have a fantastic clamping pressure.

And I live in a desert, its can get into the mid forties here on a daily bases. And these pads are still getting hard. 

I love my AKG 450's. In England they were £200 but are now less than £50.

There are the 451's and the 452's but all that is added is an in like mic for Apple and Android.

Brilliant for the money.

Nothing to see here - move along.

Having tried the LCD-2/3 myself, I can say its in a different league then the M50. Not even taking into account the VERY different transducer principles. 

On top of that they didn't carry their immense weight very well, in a similar way that they M50's get uncomfortable because they don't breathe and have a fantastic clamping pressure.

And I live in a desert, its can get into the mid forties here on a daily bases. And these pads are still getting hard. 

That's the same thing I thought when they were compering it :/ I don't know to much about how pads get hard and stuff mine have not gotten hard yet.

That's the same thing I thought when they were compering it :/ I don't know to much about how pads get hard and stuff mine have not gotten hard yet.

How old are they? These are about six months and still  mostly tolerable. 

How old are they? These are about six months and still  mostly tolerable. 

I would say about 8 month old.