Looking for new headphones

Demolishdude

I am looking for a new pair of headphones.

Here is the basic rundown- 

• I play video games without a sound card. I rely on on board sound. 
  • I also listen to music on a Samsung Galaxy S4.
  • Only willing to pay $150 or less.

Any good recommendations? I had my eyes on the Sennheiser HD 558.

Also, if I do buy the HD 558, will I need a sound card and/or an amp? (If you feel that they're necessary, please provide recommendations).

Thanks ahead of time!

Audio Technica ATH M50s.

CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.4 ghz GPU: MSI 7950 Motherboard: Asrock 970 Extreme R2  RAM: Teamgroup Elite Black 8GB 1600mhz

Case: Corsair 300r Windowed Storage: 60GB Corsair SSD boot, 1TB WD Black storage PSU: Corsair GS600 Displays: AOC 22", Acer 24" both 1920x1080 60hz

Cooling: Coolermaster V8 cpu cooler Keyboard: QPAD MK50 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G500s  Mouse Pad: Corsair MM400 Sound: Sennheiser G4ME ONE headset, Audio Technica ATH M50s

Check and see if the Custom One Pro or Sennheiser HD380 Pro is in your price range, both of these are great closed back headphones. The SRH440 with 840 pads is also a great sounding and comfortable option.

Audio Technica ATH M50s.

Uuuuuuugh, nooooo

Check and see if the Custom One Pro or Sennheiser HD380 Pro is in your price range, both of these are great closed back headphones. The SRH440 with 840 pads is also a great sounding and comfortable option.

Uuuuuuugh, nooooo

Yes.

CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.4 ghz GPU: MSI 7950 Motherboard: Asrock 970 Extreme R2  RAM: Teamgroup Elite Black 8GB 1600mhz

Case: Corsair 300r Windowed Storage: 60GB Corsair SSD boot, 1TB WD Black storage PSU: Corsair GS600 Displays: AOC 22", Acer 24" both 1920x1080 60hz

Cooling: Coolermaster V8 cpu cooler Keyboard: QPAD MK50 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G500s  Mouse Pad: Corsair MM400 Sound: Sennheiser G4ME ONE headset, Audio Technica ATH M50s

Yes.

Seeing that they are currently $150ish they represent an over hyped bad value. If you can find them for $100 or less, good competitive value, any more and it loses to much better products. 

Seeing that they are currently $150ish they represent an over hyped bad value. If you can find them for $100 or less, good competitive value, any more and it loses to much better products. 

Senheiser fanboy.

Senheiser fanboy.

I don't own any Sennheisers, I don't even like the company.

I don't own any Sennheisers, I don't even like the company.

Lies, all lies.

Lies, all lies.

Pair of Shure SRH1540's and a pair of Sony MDR7506's. 

A listening headphone and a REAL! studio monitor that has out sold and out performed the M50's for twice as long as the M50 has been around. 

Its not a bad headphone, its a bad value for anything over the $100 price tag it was at for years, I even own a pair. And it falls short of other $150 headphones like the COP and HD380. 
But what it is, is a gateway headphone, which is why people like it. Its their first real headphone. 

Pair of Shure SRH1540's and a pair of Sony MDR7506's. 

A listening headphone and a REAL! studio monitor that has out sold and out performed the M50's for twice as long as the M50 has been around. 

Been out twice as long = twice as bad, simple mathematics buddy.

Been out twice as long = twice as bad, simple mathematics buddy.

Not in the headphone world. Older headphones can make for some of the best listening experience you can have. Fond of my fathers old radio headphones that the Air Force gave him. Not the best response, but fantastic depth and soundstage. 

971340_686775794681987_304451371_n.jpg

Not in the headphone world. Older headphones can make for some of the best listening experience you can have. Fond of my fathers old radio headphones that the Air Force gave him. Not the best response, but fantastic depth and soundstage. 

971340_686775794681987_304451371_n.jpg

Omfg, so much swag.

Omfg, so much swag.

Hold up, gonna go grab the M50's (Long story short, friend and I review together, and share a collection.) 

Are those AD-700x?

Hate them, I have a Marine Corps regulation hair cut and they pull my hair out. 

Hate them, I have a Marine Corps regulation hair cut and they pull my hair out. 

Yeah I saw Barnacules review of them he said the same thing.

I'm glad the price went up. Now I can sell mine for more! :D

Ah....the M50, slightly grainy low end, with a disappointing mid range. At least the treble is just right so it doesn't under cut the bass. 
And the pads on this pair haven't turned to stones yet, we still have about 4 more months out of them before that. 

I'm glad the price went up. Now I can sell mine for more! :D

I don't worry about aforementioned friend selling these, we got them for the best value out there.....free.

Yeah I saw Barnacules review of them he said the same thing.

I am by no means a bass head, its just not my cup of tea. But I would like some form of a lower end, and that is also something that is utterly missing from the AD700x's.

Ah....the M50, slightly grainy low end, with a disappointing mid range. At least the treble is just right so it doesn't under cut the bass. 

And the pads on this pair haven't turned to stones yet, we still have about 4 more months out of them before that. 

I don't worry about aforementioned friend selling these, we got them for the best value out there.....free.

I am by no means a bass head, its just not my cup of tea. But I would like some form of a lower end, and that is also something that is utterly missing from the AD700x's.

How did you get them for free?

Be 2m tall, eat swag for breakfast, write headphone reviews. 

and here I am basically broke because I just spent $220 on headphones, $40 on stuff to mod said headphones, and $170 on cooling for my PC.

and here I am basically broke because I just spent $220 on headphones, $40 on stuff to mod said headphones, and $170 on cooling for my PC.

u2zRtOB.gif

Should have been two meters tall. 

So... to go back to the topic at hand...

I have a pair of HD 558s and love them, and yes you can drive them with everything you already have, however they are an open style headphone and if you want to use them for mobile applications I'd suggest a closed style...

The open style will leak a lot of sound and everyone around you will hear it... and if you are in a crowded room, you will still hear everyone else...