10Gbit RJ-45 Switch

PatrikYT_98

According to this, the cheapest 8 port 10GbE switch is the Buffalo BS-MP2008, which I can find on ebay new for $710 and on my local euro etailer for 710 euros. Searching ebay for 10GbE switches will turn up cheaper used ones though.

It's  not RJ-45 but it's really a good deal at ~110$ for 4 x 10G ports + 1 x 1G port:

You say you need 8 ports... you could connect 2 or 3 of these between each other with DAC cables, but you'd be limited to 10 gbp between switches.

But hey, you'd have 8 usable 10gbps for 330$ :  [1|2|3|4]===[1|2|3|4]===[1|2|3|4]  so 1.1 1.2 1.3 + 2.2 2.3  + 3.2 3.3 3.4 = 8 available ports.

You can buy LC fiber cable for around 20$ for 10-20 meters. Fiber to SFP+ optical adapter is another 20 bucks. Ethernet card are around 20-25$ on ebay and amazon.

Video has links to all in the description.

----

EDIT :

If you insist on RJ-45, you should also search around on forum dedicated to hosting and datacenters and networking. You ma find good deals.

For example this was posted around 1 and a half months ago but may still be available: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1734952

24.NETGEAR ProSAFE XS712T 12-Port 10GBase-T Gigabit Smart Managed Switch (XS712T-100NES) - $850 + Shipping - $50 or free local pick up

That's a good deal, ~900 if you need 12 ports. Also has 2 SFP+ ports (shared with 2 rj-45 so they become disabled if you use the optical stuff)

It was around $1200 but it's discontinued now.

23 minutes ago, wojtepanik said:

10gb over ethernet isn't really good

What's bad about it?

Inb4 higher latency than Infiniband. Unless you're building a server farm, the 10us difference is not noticable.

24 minutes ago, wojtepanik said:

why do you need 10gb switch tho? 10gb over ethernet isn't really good

i need 10 gbit switch because i have high speed server/nas and i have 10gbit rj45 port on my motherboard and my dad have 10gbit port on motherboard too  thats why

Just now, Granular said:

What's bad about it?

It's more power hungry, since you have to push electrons through 100 meters of copper, and four pairs at that. It can be up to 5-10w of heat dissipation per port in the switch, so with 8 active ports the switch would require cooling, and that means typically rj45 are more noisy. 

You also need cat6a cables for bigger distances (more than ~ 30 meters) and ideally you'd use proper RJ-45 connectors.

Fiber is not that expensive, see my post above... you can get LC cable for very reasonable prices these days : https://amzn.to/2QzLth0

3m/10ft is 10$ , 15m / 49ft is 20$  , 30m is 26$, 100m is 44$ ... a quality cat6/cat7 cable is around 200$ for 150 meters or around 350$ for 300 meters.

It costs more at small lengths but becomes convenient at longer lengths. Not to mention it's smaller in diameter and can be bent easier.

4 minutes ago, PatrikYT_98 said:

i need 10 gbit switch because i have high speed server/nas and i have 10gbit rj45 port on my motherboard and my dad have 10gbit port on motherboard too  thats why

You can add a second network card in your pc, if you have a free pci-e x8 or x16 slot ... they're cheap, 20-25$  each or cheaper if you get multiple..

Here's 2 for 41$ : https://amzn.to/2QAlFBg

Just now, wojtepanik said:

whats your nas setup?

its in "Work in progress"

but i7 6700K and 3 tb segate drive

2* 480 gb sdd in raid 0 (iam not storing important data on it)

asus maximus viii hero mobo 

5 minutes ago, PatrikYT_98 said:

its in "Work in progress"

but i7 6700K and 3 tb segate drive

2* 480 gb sdd in raid 0 (iam not storing important data on it)

asus maximus viii hero mobo 

then 1 gbit is enough LOL nvme is only capable to saturate 10gbit, why you have such a powerfull nas ?

Just now, wojtepanik said:

then 1 gbit is enough LOL nvme is only capable to saturate 10gbit, why you have such a powerfull nas ?

thats my old pc and i dont have older hardware and iam also hosting minecraft server for my friend

1 minute ago, PatrikYT_98 said:

thats my old pc and i dont have older hardware and iam also hosting minecraft server for my friend

and i was running 2x 6/12 core cpus and 36 gb ram so the i7 6700k is OK

19 minutes ago, mariushm said:

It's more power hungry, since you have to push electrons through 100 meters of copper, and four pairs at that. It can be up to 5-10w of heat dissipation per port in the switch, so with 8 active ports the switch would require cooling, and that means typically rj45 are more noisy. 

You also need cat6a cables for bigger distances (more than ~ 30 meters) and ideally you'd use proper RJ-45 connectors. 

Fiber is not that expensive, see my post above... you can get LC cable for very reasonable prices these days : https://amzn.to/2QzLth0

3m/10ft is 10$ , 15m / 49ft is 20$  , 30m is 26$, 100m is 44$ ... a quality cat6/cat7 cable is around 200$ for 150 meters or around 350$ for 300 meters.

It costs more at small lengths but becomes convenient at longer lengths. Not to mention it's smaller in diameter and can be bent easier.

I didn't ask what's bad about copper or RJ45.

I asked what's bad about 10 GbE.

This exact same topic was brought up just 3 days ago and is still within the first page of the Networking section:

A few options mentioned there are a QNAP switch and a Ubiquiti switch. Please read this topic. And also please use the search or at least check the topics on the first page or two of the relevant forum section before posting questions.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

48 minutes ago, wojtepanik said:

2 ssd in raid 0 is 1000 mb/s

and 1 gbit network is max 100mb/s

and 10 gbit is 1000mb/s

Just now, PatrikYT_98 said:

2 ssd in raid 0 is 1000 mb/s

and 1 gbit network is max 100mb/s

and 10 gbit is 1000mb/s

Please watch your MB vs Mb

2 SSD in RAID 0 is 1000MB/s

1Gb network (literally 1000Mb/s, Giga is the next latin prefix after Mega) is max 125MB/s, SMB can peak around 110-115MB/s

10Gbit (literally 10000Mb/s) is max 1250MB/s, SMB can peak around 1150-1200MB/s

I have Cheaper solution i'll buy dual 10gbit port network card from ebay and i will plug my pcs directly to the nas will that work ? if yes shoud i buy the 99$ asus 1 port card or dual port intel ? i wanna save pcie slots i have 3x16 ( electricaly 1x 16 and other is 1x 8 and last one is 1x 4 ) and 3 1x slots

7 minutes ago, PatrikYT_98 said:

I have Cheaper solution i'll buy dual 10gbit port network card from ebay and i will plug my pcs directly to the nas will that work ? if yes shoud i buy the 99$ asus 1 port card or dual port intel ? i wanna save pcie slots i have 2x16 ( electricaly 1x 16 and other is 1x 8 ) 

Yes direct connecting computers works fine, linus even did a video about it: 

I recommend going with a 2 port card, SFP+ and a DAC is cheaper than cards with RJ45, but those exist also. With 2 ports cards you can add a third system without needing a switch. You can choose to use a two port card on the server and a one port card on your computer.

1 minute ago, brwainer said:

Yes direct connecting computers works fine, linus even did a video about it: 

I recommend going with a 2 port card, SFP+ and a DAC is cheaper than cards with RJ45, but thise exist also. With 2 ports cards you can add a third system without needing a switch. You can choose to use a two port card on the server and a one port card on your computer.

i will buy 2 port intel network card from ebay (RJ45) and i will connect dad's pc and my pc to it (i dont wanna sfp+ because my pc and dad's pc have 10 gbit rj45 integrated on motherboards

Do you have 2 x 10 gbps ports on your NAS?

You can connect one PC directly to the NAS, not sure about the second one. Depends on NAS.

The 99$ Asus cards use the same chip from Aquantia as the Aquantia 10g-gaming cards which are 90$ on Amazon : https://amzn.to/2L1OTUn

Just now, mariushm said:

Do you have 2 x 10 gbps ports on your NAS?

You can connect one PC directly to the NAS, not sure about the second one. Depends on NAS.

The 99$ Asus cards use the same chip from Aquantia as the Aquantia 10g-gaming cards which are 90$ on Amazon : https://amzn.to/2L1OTUn

i  have custom nas  and it dowsnt have any 10 gbit ports a i'll buy a dual port intel network card 10 gbit rj45 for 130$ on ebay and i will connect two pcs to it and if it doesn't work i'll build another pc for "switch" beceause its cheaper to buy motherboard cpu psu case and other and buy two dual port intel network card so i'll try it with dual port network card in my nas and i hope it will work so i dont need to have second pc as nework switch

35 minutes ago, PatrikYT_98 said:

i  have custom nas  and it dowsnt have any 10 gbit ports a i'll buy a dual port intel network card 10 gbit rj45 for 130$ on ebay and i will connect two pcs to it and if it doesn't work i'll build another pc for "switch" beceause its cheaper to buy motherboard cpu psu case and other and buy two dual port intel network card so i'll try it with dual port network card in my nas and i hope it will work so i dont need to have second pc as nework switch

what board has 10gbit?  x99 asrock?

5 minutes ago, wojtepanik said:

what board has 10gbit?  x99 asrock?

my dad's pc has asrock professional gaming i7 z370 and i7 8700K

and i have rampage vi extreme and i9 7980XE